Idaho Elk Hunt 2020

I am planning an archery elk hunt for late September in Idaho. Some locals have pointed me towards units 32A and 22 in the council mountain area. Does anyone else have recommendations or input on where to start scouting? I have never hunted the area before. I'd also like to find somewhere that doesn't get overrun by hunters.
Thanks!

I’ll tell you that particular part of the zone is a zoo these days. One buddy has ditched the zone completely and my brother in law has moved to a part of the zone he’s found to be less busy.

P Carter

WKR
Funny how so many people fail to realize this.

Agreed. Straining to give people the benefit of the doubt, I'm thinking that they just do not realize how much effort it takes to find good spots. And how many hunters are out there. I like to think that if folks stick with it, years down the road they will realize how ridiculous it is to 1) ask for and 2) post (!) specific locations on a forum.

SemperHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I will also be going to this unit but for rifle season. Good luck! This will be my first season so I'm fully expecting it to be rough but a learning adventure.

From what I've heard, there really aren't any units that aren't busy with maybe the exception of the really tough units. Would you say that's accurate?

If you look at hunter numbers per unit, some are busier than others. Unit 22 is hunter density ground zero in Idaho. There’s always certain parts of a unit that are more or less busy as well.

SemperHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Would you say that’s likely due to the fact the terrain is easier and there really isn’t any wilderness or any part more than 3 to 3.5 miles from any road? Now I’m reconsidering which unit to go to the more I look at it. The last thing I want to do my first year elk hunting is to be sitting in other folks laps while everyone is trying to shoot elk.

Would you say that’s likely due to the fact the terrain is easier and there really isn’t any wilderness or any part more than 3 to 3.5 miles from any road? Now I’m reconsidering which unit to go to the more I look at it. The last thing I want to do my first year elk hunting is to be sitting in other folks laps while everyone is trying to shoot elk.
Proximity to the large urban Treasure Valley, easy access, and a fairly decent success rate are some of the factors. You probably won’t be tripping over people but you will be harder pressed to get away from the crowd.

D

Deleted member 39919

Best of luck wherever you end up. If you're like me, you'll see a ton of deer while elk hunting and a ton of elk while deer hunting. I'd settle on an area and learn it well. Good Hunting!

I am planning an archery elk hunt for late September in Idaho. Some locals have pointed me towards units 32A and 22 in the council mountain area. Does anyone else have recommendations or input on where to start scouting? I have never hunted the area before. I'd also like to find somewhere that doesn't get overrun by hunters.
Thanks!
I will also be going to this unit but for rifle season. Good luck! This will be my first season so I'm fully expecting it to be rough but a learning adventure.
Please PM me