Idaho early rifle

wkolesar

FNG
Has anyone had the early tag for mule deer ? Starts Aug 15- sept 30th. I live in east Idaho and hunt but looking for any advice or recommendations some might have. Camping, backpacking, weather, good watering holes lol. Heading to my unit Monday 7/22 for a week to scout And yes this is my first post. I see a lot of people get shit for that….

Last edited by a moderator:

KHNC

WKR
This one isn't a problem to post as a unit overall. It's the most crowded unit in the state, and he's on a controlled hunt.
In that case, i usually camp in my van in that unit. Down by the river. Gotta watch for bears though.

There are some monster bucks near Harris Ranch. You can’t shoot them but could wave to them while floating the river.

Bachto

WKR
That early I would get as high up in elevation as you can. Deer will still be in velvet and likely not in the thick brush as much. At least that's where I would start.

OP
W

wkolesar

FNG
Hi yall, I didn’t mean to offend anyone. Just excited to have the tag and opportunity. I mentioned the unit cause I saw old post stating similar content. And yes it’s a controlled hunt. I’ll actually be playing warm springs GC on tues with family lol…. I was seeking any advice where to start. And the obvious criticism that come with any post on Rokslide. Anyway, hope you all fill the freezer this year and good luck. Thanks

IMG_9096.png

I had an archery tag a few years back around that time on a unit near Fairfield and that early season they were either top of cascades or down in high desert brush. Plan to spend a lot of time under shade glassing dense veg looking to bust a napping buck mid day early evening

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rotnguns

Lil-Rokslider
There are some monster bucks near Harris Ranch. You can’t shoot them but could wave to them while floating the river.
This, for sure. Largest mule deer I've ever seen was along the Greenbelt near Barber Park. I'm beginning to see them all over the place in Boise. A cougar actually took one down recently near a suburban intersection on the SE outskirts of Boise.