Idaho CWD

I didn’t see this topic up yet, but I might have missed it. The dreaded disease finally turned up in Idaho. I was whitetail hunting and hadn’t heard the news but I shot a buck in the same drainage that turned up the first 2 positive results. IFG has a check station set up in between New Meadows and Riggins ,pulling samples. They took a sample from my buck. I should know the results in 2-4 weeks.
I’m surprised that it showed up so far inland, away from the positive states borders. It makes you wonder how long it has been here and how widespread it is.

tdot

WKR
I've heard similar stories in BC, apparently it has shown up in a couple locations in the last few years. Prior to that, closest confirmed case was hundreds of miles away.

Makes me wonder if someone inadvertently transported an infected animal or animal parts.

280Ackley

WKR
Passed a check station just out of Grangeville last week. Didn’t realize it was due to CWD until I saw it on there webpage

2019 I was hunting in GMU 14. I saw a doe with droopy ears. Never seen that before. Seemed o/w healthy and did not appear thin. She was with a group of does. I reported the finding to the local biologist but never heard back.

grfox92

WKR
CWD was discovered in the 70s I believe. I think it's silly to think it hasn't been here for hundreds or thousands of years before it was "Discovered"

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Zak406

Lil-Rokslider
Disease happens in any species when there is over population. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. I’m from pa and they are in the past few years just discovering cwd in our herd. If you think it hasn’t been here for a long while I’d say your nuts. What is scary is they are considering dropping antler restrictions to “slow the spread “ and try to manage it. It’s in all honesty probably 20 years to late. They will end up destroying what antler restrictions where put in place for.

OP
Customweld
Eh. I’m probably not doing it. I can’t find the time, plus I still have a panhandle deer tag burning a hole in my pocket.
I definitely kicked the idea around until they posted the sideboards of the tags and units. Between that and some of the comments on the FB hunting pages... my inner sanity told me to avoid that one like the plague! I'm still waiting for results from my whitetail samples.

IDFG had its head in the sand on CWD. It’s a joke. You can’t test less than 1% of harvested deer/elk and say you “don’t have CWD”

3FB261C4-36EE-4B4D-9F16-45C524E18D10.jpeg

Look at this county by county CWD distribution map from the CDC. 🤣🤣

It’s amazing how the IDFG has managed to stop it along the south eastern border. 🙄🙄 a child could figure out something isn’t right…. maybe CWD deer don’t migrate? Forget all the collar information we have of deer intermixing, migrating from state to state on the regular….

I live in Idaho, specifically in the SE on the Wyoming border. I hunt 5+ states and provinces every year, the only state I have never seen a CWD game check station is Idaho.

It’s actually quite embarrassing.

Fordguy

WKR
Oklahoma doesn't offer CWD testing for hunter harvested deer- even though every state that touches Oklahoma has found CWD in wild deer. It's disappointing to say the least.

OP
Customweld
IDFG had its head in the sand on CWD. It’s a joke. You can’t test less than 1% of harvested deer/elk and say you “don’t have CWD”

View attachment 353873

Look at this county by county CWD distribution map from the CDC. 🤣🤣

It’s amazing how the IDFG has managed to stop it along the south eastern border. 🙄🙄 a child could figure out something isn’t right…. maybe CWD deer don’t migrate? Forget all the collar information we have of deer intermixing, migrating from state to state on the regular….

I live in Idaho, specifically in the SE on the Wyoming border. I hunt 5+ states and provinces every year, the only state I have never seen a CWD game check station is Idaho.

It’s actually quite embarrassing.
I definitely agree that testing was woefully inadequate. I would like to see how many positive samples come out of the north portion of unit 23 and the south west section of unit 14.