ID Scouting…best use of time. What would you do?

Deucebump

WKR
Hey Guys, been thinking about how I want to scout ID for rifle deer this year, and after looking at a calendar, flight costs and rental costs, Im not sure what my best plan of attack should be. I have a tag for a unit I was lucky enough to kill a great buck in about 7-8 yrs ago, but I had access to horses then, and do not now. So I will be backpacking solo, both to scout and while hunting.

Keep in mind I am from Pennsylvania…..

My first thought was to fly out sometime late Aug/early Sept and spend 3 days or so scouting. Then fly back out for the rifle opener and hunt 6-7 days. But lately, after seeing the season opens on a Tues, Ive been thinking about just flying out Fri or Sat before and scouting those 3 days prior to the opener. Will make for a longer single trip, and potentially 10-11 days in the backcountry without coming out. But will also be up to date intel, and less days off total, and 1 less round trip flight.

Throw some opinions at me! Time frames, water changes, other options??? Thanks in advance.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Thats my plan if I draw anything.
Coming from the Gulf Coast, I'll just go out plenty early.

I scouted Idaho during the archery last season and saw a pretty good buck on the last day. I didn't want to bump him because I knew I would be back for the rifle opener 2 weeks later. Unfortunately, I never saw that buck again.

I'd go out a few days early, find a good buck and camp on hm.

Hey Guys, been thinking about how I want to scout ID for rifle deer this year, and after looking at a calendar, flight costs and rental costs, Im not sure what my best plan of attack should be. I have a tag for a unit I was lucky enough to kill a great buck in about 7-8 yrs ago, but I had access to horses then, and do not now. So I will be backpacking solo, both to scout and while hunting.

Keep in mind I am from Pennsylvania…..

My first thought was to fly out sometime late Aug/early Sept and spend 3 days or so scouting. Then fly back out for the rifle opener and hunt 6-7 days. But lately, after seeing the season opens on a Tues, Ive been thinking about just flying out Fri or Sat before and scouting those 3 days prior to the opener. Will make for a longer single trip, and potentially 10-11 days in the backcountry without coming out. But will also be up to date intel, and less days off total, and 1 less round trip flight.

Throw some opinions at me! Time frames, water changes, other options??? Thanks in advance.

Does your season close on the 24th or 31st? If it’s a later closer I would just hold off and hunt the last week of season, rather than the opener

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
Id arrive a couple days early and be ready opening morning.

Last week of season is another good idea if rut is then.

Scouting in summer - nope.

Wapiti151

WKR
Does your season close on the 24th or 31st? If it’s a later closer I would just hold off and hunt the last week of season, rather than the opener

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I second this. I wouldn’t go for the opener, more hunters, hotter weather, etc etc etc. Go out later in the season, take your Same 10-11 days in the backcountry but be able to harvest something each day. Not sure of the unit, but if you’re high there is a good chance you could get some weather. I hunt Idaho most years, went opening weekend/week once and won’t do that again. Hunt last 7-10 days. You are also closer to rut.

OP
Deucebump

Deucebump

WKR
Thanks for all the input guys. You have all definitely made me scrap the idea of a late summer scouting trip. I am all for more hunting days as well, but with the season opening on a Tues, and trying to get the most use of my vaca time from work, I think Im better served trying to find a good buck and camp on it until the season opens if possible. As for the later dates, season ends the 24th, and honestly I dont see that being close enough to the rut to make much difference. (If it was the 31st I may agree) and Im headed to MT around Nov 10th for another 7-10 days. So prob best if I stick to trying to hunt the opener.

This is one of the reasons I love “the Slide”. I hadnt even thought about hunting closer to the rut, or using more of my days with a rifle in hand. Even if I dont end up doing either of those things, you made me think a little different. So thank you!

Keep em coming.

FlareBlitz91

Lil-Rokslider
Whereabouts are you hunting? (You can DM or just keep it extremely general if you want).

brn2hnt

WKR
I would agree with the above, with one caveat...

Be honest with yourself about your abilities. Having opening day be day 4 of a solo backpack trip can be rough. I've seen plenty of people come to ID, get their tails whipped the first couple days, then be done pointed home by day 5 of a 7 day trip. If you follow that plan, just make sure that by day 9 you've still plenty of juice in the tank.

OP
Deucebump

Deucebump

WKR
Thanks for the advise, and it is good advise. Ive done previous solo backcountry hunts in ID and will agree it can take its toll soon than one would think. And I have never went 10 days.

This thread has now taken a turn and my plans have drastically changed as of today. I was notified by CO that I have the chance to get a tag I applied for but initially did not draw. After 15yrs of applying Im getting one of my dream tags. And this scouting/hunting dilemma now moves to CO!

gtriple

WKR
Thanks for the advise, and it is good advise. Ive done previous solo backcountry hunts in ID and will agree it can take its toll soon than one would think. And I have never went 10 days.

This thread has now taken a turn and my plans have drastically changed as of today. I was notified by CO that I have the chance to get a tag I applied for but initially did not draw. After 15yrs of applying Im getting one of my dream tags. And this scouting/hunting dilemma now moves to CO!
15yrs applying - you better spend as much time scouting for a good animal in that unit as possible!

OP
Deucebump

Deucebump

WKR
15yrs applying - you better spend as much time scouting for a good animal in that unit as possible!
Ha! As much as I wish that was possible its just not. I do have some decent intel on an area to start, and Ill have 3-4 days to scout before the opener, but that will be it. And honestly as much as Im looking forward to this hunt, Im soo glad to no longer be handcuffed to the preference points. I will never build points like that again. Im really just treating this like another hunt, just with better potential. Up until recently I had planned to use an outfitter when I drew this tag, but I just dont have it in me to spend that kind of money when Im perfectly capable of going at it solo. And if Im fortunate enough to kill a true trophy it will be so much more gratifying knowing I did it all on my own!