IADNR bans cell cam "scouting" during hunting season

Totally understand and agree with the sentiment. It just happens to work, collectively, for the hunters on public where I am.

That’s pretty standard for any situation where no one has a real claim to possession: people come to a tacit understanding. Which works well until an interloper comes in… hell hath no fury like a displaced hunter with no claim of right to hunt somewhere. The petty lengths to which people will go to try to get the newcomer to leave can be epically stupid.

My family always hunts a pass that is just on our side of the property line from the National forest. We’ve had people come up from the National forest side to try to “claim” that spot try all sorts of things. Putting up stands on our land. Sitting just off our land twenty feet from where we are already set up. Or tromping back and forth along the property line. Or going down the hill 50 yards, just out of sight, and firing a shot every few minutes.

In the early 1990s, my family bought a farm that had been neglected for a decade while the absentee owners went through a divorce. The stink raised by all the poachers who had claimed little corners of it as their own hunting spot could probably be smelled from 30,000 feet. For the first two years, we had to hunt there twice a day every day and threw off poachers every time we went out. The animosity generated by this change played a big role in a horrible lawsuit in which my family got involved. Some realtime cameras might have been pretty useful in that situation.

I definitely don’t like it when people try to claim a public resource as their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dtchhuntr

FNG
That’s pretty standard for any situation where no one has a real claim to possession: people come to a tacit understanding. Which works well until an interloper comes in… hell hath no fury like a displaced hunter with no claim of right to hunt somewhere. The petty lengths to which people will go to try to get the newcomer to leave can be epically stupid.

My family always hunts a pass that is just on our side of the property line from the National forest. We’ve had people come up from the National forest side to try to “claim” that spot try all sorts of things. Putting up stands on our land. Sitting just off our land twenty feet from where we are already set up. Or tromping back and forth along the property line. Or going down the hill 50 yards, just out of sight, and firing a shot every few minutes.

In the early 1990s, my family bought a farm that had been neglected for a decade while the absentee owners went through a divorce. The stink raised by all the poachers who had claimed little corners of it as their own hunting spot could probably be smelled from 30,000 feet. For the first two years, we had to hunt there twice a day every day and threw off poachers every time we went out. The animosity generated by this change played a big role in a horrible lawsuit in which my family got involved. Some realtime cameras might have been pretty useful in that situation.

I definitely don’t like it when people try to claim a public resource as their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, I don't disagree at all. I was thinking of it through a very small microcosm of how its been operating the last 10 years in one little hunting spot, definitely not advocating claiming spots. And if someone was in my normal area,tip of the cap and I'll move to one of my other marked locations.