I want a CVA Accura X, but I am confused....

huntsd

WKR
Update:

I was able to shoot the gun at 25 yards. With 90gr of triple 7 and 350gr hollow point lead powerbelt.

As a reminder I bought this same gun with the william's peep site from MidwayUSA

At 25 yards the gun shot 6in low. I adjusted the rear sight as high as it would go. After the adjustment the gun was still 4in low.

I notified William's Site Company that night and left them a message. First thing the next day a William's service rep gave me call and I told them what I was noticing. They indicated the problem was not with me. William's indicated CVA reconfigured the barrels on the Accura and never reconfigured the site they put on the gun. It sound like several people are having the same issue with that purchased the Accura with the William's peep site. The Service Rep said William's has contacted CVA about the issue. CVA is working with William's to provide individuals a higher rear peep to fix the issue at no cost, only the cost of shipping. The William's service rep was great to work with and provided other suggestions, like I might need a lower front site as well. I will definitely be working with William's Site Company again.

So caution to all those looking to buy a CVA Accura LR-X or MR-X with the William's peep site. The configuration they are selling are not ready to rock and roll. Also from my research there are limited options for adjustable peep site for CVA muzzleloaders. Please let me know if anyone has found a good adjustable elevation peep for a CVA Accura. I may consider it if I even keep the gun.
Is this issue only with the peep sites that come stock in the the gun? Ie if I buy a rifle with no sites will after market Williams sites work

OP
JGBowman

JGBowman

Lil-Rokslider
Is this issue only with the peep sites that come stock in the the gun? Ie if I buy a rifle with no sites will after market Williams sites work
The CVA I purchased with the William peep site was not ready to rock and roll.

After Market Williams sites will work.

The issue is not the william site. CVA put on a front site that was too low for the rear site.

Since I purchased this CVA. I think I bought about 5 William's Site products. Some on eBay and some direct from the company. The William's Site Company has been absolutely fantastic to work with. The reason I bought so much is that I am experimenting with my set up. I will make another post when I am done tinkering.

OP
JGBowman

JGBowman

Lil-Rokslider
Update

I bought a EBCO rail to fit my CVA. Milled down the pillars. Drilled and tapped the rail to accept a William Peep sight. Raised the front sight to account raising the rear sight.

I am using Hornady Bore Drivers 290gr. Why? because they are not power belts, they are available, and could not find a heavier solid conical to fit tight in the barrel (see my previous posts to see why)

I tried using BH209. From 90 to 65 grains and could not get a consistent group. I was all over the place.

However, 80 grains of triple 7. I have no issues hitting a 3 inch circle at 100 yards.

Fuenstock

FNG
I have a mrx and was also having problems with the peep sight not having enough adjustment.
I was shooting 1ft low at 100 yards with a maxed out rear sight with 295g power belts and 100g pyrodex select.
I tried 320g tc maxxi balls with 100g by volume of pyrodex select and for what ever reason those shoot much higher.
High enough that the factory prep sights were now usable.
The maxxi balls were also giving me 3” groups at 100y with the peep sights which is good considering that at 100y the front fiber is about 6” round.
Used 320g maxxi ball on a big mature cow at 106 yards and she didn’t go 10yards before she went down.
Complete broadside pass thru.

BriderLV

FNG
I have a mrx and was also having problems with the peep sight not having enough adjustment.
I was shooting 1ft low at 100 yards with a maxed out rear sight with 295g power belts and 100g pyrodex select.
I tried 320g tc maxxi balls with 100g by volume of pyrodex select and for what ever reason those shoot much higher.
High enough that the factory prep sights were now usable.
The maxxi balls were also giving me 3” groups at 100y with the peep sights which is good considering that at 100y the front fiber is about 6” round.
Used 320g maxxi ball on a big mature cow at 106 yards and she didn’t go 10yards before she went down.
Complete broadside pass thru.
Was that the factory sights? Tks

Last edited:
I am so sorry that you are having a problem. If you will contact CVA and ask for customer service, then ask for Brian he has a replacement ramp ready to ship out as soon as he has your information. Once again thanks for you purchase of a CVA. We look forward to helping you with a resolution on your purchase.
Will this be a problem if I order a MR-X with open sights or has this issue been fixed? Will I need to order the replacement ramp?

Fuenstock

FNG
Will this be a problem if I order a MR-X with open sights or has this issue been fixed? Will I need to order the replacement ramp?

I called BPI/CVA yesterday for a replacement sight ramp and it was fast, easy with no hassle.
They shipped me a replacement free of charge.
The guy mentioned it was the first few batches of rifles that had the problem.
Mine was bought over a year ago.

I put an FP Williams adjustable peep site on my CVA and will be starting a new thread shortly. Need to fine tune my front site first.
did the willimans globe site fit
The MR-X is also my first muzzleloader. What worked for me was an Eabco peeprib and Williams fiber optic peep sight.

Eabco peeprib:
Williams sight:

I ended up using the rear peep that was included on the peeprib but swapped in the Williams rear sight aperture (they were threaded the same) due to the Williams having a slightly larger internal diameter that matched better with the front globe sight. With at 100yd zero (300gr Thor at ≈ 1890fps) the rear peep is about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way up the ramp, so there's still some room to move it around.

Hopefully that helps, there's a lot I'm still learning.

-John
did your front globe sight install to your mr-x fine without any filing on the sight? i'm seeing from williams website that it won't work with mrx/lrx. thanks.

OP
JGBowman

JGBowman

Lil-Rokslider
did the willimans globe site fit

did your front globe sight install to your mr-x fine without any filing on the sight? i'm seeing from williams website that it won't work with mrx/lrx. thanks.

Keep in mind if you raise the rear sight you have to raise the front site. I learned this the hard way.

The guy at Williams, it super awesome and can help figure this out. Also the formula is super easy to calculate. But I screwed it up once, use calipers

You have to do this because you might have buy a higher front ramp. If you do to get the front bead on you need to slide it on a ramp. Which sucks and needed help from a gun smith. When I tried I broke two or three fiber optic front sites.

My gun smith had a brass bead from Williams. It did not break when we tried to put it on. It’s way more durable. When I put a globe cover on the front site I didn’t like it. I tried it and it was too much going on. Also makes the brass bead dark and hard to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BPI_Outdoors

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I have been looking for an inline muzzleloader that I can use in colorado for elk and PA for bear. I think I want a CVA Accura X 50 cal. I called CVA and they said all of their Accura X 50 cal models are drilled for front sights. I want to put on William's sight. But as I was looking at Accuras and I have a couple questions.

What twist rate do I want? 1:22 or 1:28?
Do I want a 30in or 24in barrel?
Should I get a muzzle break?
Should I buy the 50 cal CVA ACCURA MR-X on camofire.com? https://www.camofire.com/index.php/Deals/6

Thanks in advance!
First let’s look at the question. First if you are hunting in Colorado you will have to use a full bore bullet and iron sights and loose powder. The 50 caliber only comes in a 1 in 28 twist. The 45 comes in a 1 in 22 twist.. the Accura comes in two models . Let’s look at the LRX this comes with a thirty inch barrel in both 45 and 50 calibers. The MRX comes with a 26 inch barrel in both 50 and 45 . It stands for Mountain Rifle. I think sometimes a muzzle brake comes in handy when running a lot of powder. It can cause accuracy problems in some guns. Something to think about. Hope this helps and good luck.

bnsafe

WKR
wow, I was thinking about buying a cva but I will pass now. I dont want to buy a rifle and then have to fix everything like the bpi guy said. I want to buy a rifle and go shoot. How can they even think that is ok

CMF

WKR
I bought the Accura MR-X earlier this year. Shoots great right out of the box. My daughter already took an elk with it. Shooting 80grn weight bh209, and 330 grn powerbelt elr. 300grn Thors shot good also.
The muzzle break(Anarchy) greatly reduces recoil as compared to a wolf with the same load.
The Williams sights fit up just fine, but you have to order the set for CVA. You can't just order the front globe only and use the stock peep. I like the flouro dot and larger peep.
I ordered through Gunbroker and was cheaper than camofires current deal.
DSC_9585-2.JPG

OP
JGBowman

JGBowman

Lil-Rokslider
Lets bring this full circle.

I covered in an earlier post my load and how I retro fitted a William's peep site on my gun. William's now sells an adjustable peep for CVAs.

My elk hunt in colorado with the CVA was successful. We spotted a bull and was able to get within a 100yards. The bull busted and ran to 125 yards. The gun is zeroed to 125 yards so I did not need to adjust the peep. I had a clear shot so I took it and I hit him back. When stalking the bull I dropped my pack which had my ram rod. That was my mistake but not having the ram rod attached is annoying.

The bull bed down after the first shot and was 160 yards away. Shortly after he stood up and I adjusted my peep site, had a solid rest, made a better shot, and he tipper over.

I learned a lot while owning this CVA. I do plan to keep it. The fact that William's now makes a specific adjustable peep site is nice. I may purchase one in the future. I did shoot at a bear last with with the gun. I missed because he was running out of a tree and I tried shooting him once he got to the ground. He was moving much quicker than I anticipated, I tried to time the shot, and I missed. However, after I shot the gun broke open. However, that might have been my fault. I may not have closed it good enough or the lever might have opened while walking through brush.

Attachments

• IMG_1842.jpg
    IMG_1842.jpg
    589.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1846.jpg
    IMG_1846.jpg
    597.4 KB · Views: 10

elkivory

FNG
JG Bowman- Curious what bullet you used. I killed a bull with my CVA accura V2 this year using Federal Borlocks, but can't buy them anymore. Thanks

OP
JGBowman

JGBowman

Lil-Rokslider
I am using Hornady Bore Drivers 290gr. I wanted to shoot the heavier one but the 290gr was the only ones I could get.
Was able to find one of the bullets at it mushroomed very nicely.

elkivory

FNG
Here is a pic of my elk and bullet that you can see under skin cropped elk pic.jpgborlock bullet.jpgin front of hind quarter. Wish I could find more 350 grain Borlocks.