I want a CVA Accura X, but I am confused....

BPI_Outdoors

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Update:

I was able to shoot the gun at 25 yards. With 90gr of triple 7 and 350gr hollow point lead powerbelt.

As a reminder I bought this same gun with the william's peep site from MidwayUSA

At 25 yards the gun shot 6in low. I adjusted the rear sight as high as it would go. After the adjustment the gun was still 4in low.

I notified William's Site Company that night and left them a message. First thing the next day a William's service rep gave me call and I told them what I was noticing. They indicated the problem was not with me. William's indicated CVA reconfigured the barrels on the Accura and never reconfigured the site they put on the gun. It sound like several people are having the same issue with that purchased the Accura with the William's peep site. The Service Rep said William's has contacted CVA about the issue. CVA is working with William's to provide individuals a higher rear peep to fix the issue at no cost, only the cost of shipping. The William's service rep was great to work with and provided other suggestions, like I might need a lower front site as well. I will definitely be working with William's Site Company again.

So caution to all those looking to buy a CVA Accura LR-X or MR-X with the William's peep site. The configuration they are selling are not ready to rock and roll. Also from my research there are limited options for adjustable peep site for CVA muzzleloaders. Please let me know if anyone has found a good adjustable elevation peep for a CVA Accura. I may consider it if I even keep the gun.

BPI_Outdoors

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I am so sorry that you are having a problem. If you will contact CVA and ask for customer service, then ask for Brian he has a replacement ramp ready to ship out as soon as he has your information. Once again thanks for you purchase of a CVA. We look forward to helping you with a resolution on your purchase.

OP
JGBowman

JGBowman

Lil-Rokslider
I am so sorry that you are having a problem. If you will contact CVA and ask for customer service, then ask for Brian he has a replacement ramp ready to ship out as soon as he has your information. Once again thanks for you purchase of a CVA. We look forward to helping you with a resolution on your purchase.
Do I just call the CVA customer service number?

770-449-4687​

BPI_Outdoors

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I am so sorry that you are having a problem. If you will contact CVA and ask for customer service, then ask for Brian he has a replacement ramp ready to ship out as soon as he has your information. Once again thanks for you purchase of a CVA. We look forward to helping you with a resolution on your purchase .
Do I just call the CVA customer service number?

770-449-4687​

yes

seacow

FNG
I bought a MRX and the trigger does not adjust down even close to 3 lbs. Probably a little late on a return as I’ll be hunting Nov 18th and still working on fine tuning the load development. Anyone here who’s tried to return anything to CVA? What’s the return time like?

BPI_Outdoors

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I bought a MRX and the trigger does not adjust down even close to 3 lbs. Probably a little late on a return as I’ll be hunting Nov 18th and still working on fine tuning the load development. Anyone here who’s tried to return anything to CVA? What’s the return time like?
It depends on the issue and the request. If it’s replace and in stock they can get it out pretty quick. If it’s repair, once again it depends on what’s wrong with the trigger.

BPI_Outdoors

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Please contact customer service at 770-449-4687 and report the problem with your trigger. Hopefully it will be a simple fix and get you ready for your hunt. Sorry for your inconvenience.

Just wanted to add to this thread to the MRX 50 open sights. Dig these production guns a lot. Handled quite a few lrx and Mrx, all had some quark. Here’s a few pics of some QC “issues” or nuances with the “free floating barrel” and the cnc of the Breach plug area I noticed after I saw a few forum threads about the forearm stock not centered and the breach plug off canter. Have not shot it yet just unboxed, the barrel and breach hugs the left a lot more then the right in mine. I handled a couple LrX at BPS that were worse off so I knew what I could potentially get from a different retailer. I understand it’s a production gun and no foul mouth to CVA, just adding to the forum posts. My first muzz so I’ll work with the issues just my addition to these threads. Happy hunting

Attachments

• D7D34DB4-2B79-4816-8FE2-37D4BD2965D6.jpeg
    D7D34DB4-2B79-4816-8FE2-37D4BD2965D6.jpeg
    184.9 KB · Views: 54
  • FA51A129-AC95-4935-A147-14D3BB7F3906.jpeg
    FA51A129-AC95-4935-A147-14D3BB7F3906.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 39242A09-81D1-4301-94C0-9B0ADCEA3BF1.jpeg
    39242A09-81D1-4301-94C0-9B0ADCEA3BF1.jpeg
    208.6 KB · Views: 48
  • F92D2F4A-7E13-4251-9E72-21DB71DF6C1D.jpeg
    F92D2F4A-7E13-4251-9E72-21DB71DF6C1D.jpeg
    149.1 KB · Views: 51
  • BA7A3A39-EE87-4389-BEED-3A1688FB88A1.jpeg
    BA7A3A39-EE87-4389-BEED-3A1688FB88A1.jpeg
    147.9 KB · Views: 50
Update:

I was able to shoot the gun at 25 yards. With 90gr of triple 7 and 350gr hollow point lead powerbelt.

As a reminder I bought this same gun with the william's peep site from MidwayUSA

At 25 yards the gun shot 6in low. I adjusted the rear sight as high as it would go. After the adjustment the gun was still 4in low.

I notified William's Site Company that night and left them a message. First thing the next day a William's service rep gave me call and I told them what I was noticing. They indicated the problem was not with me. William's indicated CVA reconfigured the barrels on the Accura and never reconfigured the site they put on the gun. It sound like several people are having the same issue with that purchased the Accura with the William's peep site. The Service Rep said William's has contacted CVA about the issue. CVA is working with William's to provide individuals a higher rear peep to fix the issue at no cost, only the cost of shipping. The William's service rep was great to work with and provided other suggestions, like I might need a lower front site as well. I will definitely be working with William's Site Company again.

So caution to all those looking to buy a CVA Accura LR-X or MR-X with the William's peep site. The configuration they are selling are not ready to rock and roll. Also from my research there are limited options for adjustable peep site for CVA muzzleloaders. Please let me know if anyone has found a good adjustable elevation peep for a CVA Accura. I may consider it if I even keep the gun.
The MR-X is also my first muzzleloader. What worked for me was an Eabco peeprib and Williams fiber optic peep sight.

Eabco peeprib:
Williams sight:

I ended up using the rear peep that was included on the peeprib but swapped in the Williams rear sight aperture (they were threaded the same) due to the Williams having a slightly larger internal diameter that matched better with the front globe sight. With at 100yd zero (300gr Thor at ≈ 1890fps) the rear peep is about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way up the ramp, so there's still some room to move it around.

Hopefully that helps, there's a lot I'm still learning.

-John

Attachments

• 20221108_205533.jpg
    20221108_205533.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 20221108_205952.jpg
    20221108_205952.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 20221108_205634.jpg
    20221108_205634.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 37

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
Just wanted to add to this thread to the MRX 50 open sights. Dig these production guns a lot. Handled quite a few lrx and Mrx, all had some quark. Here’s a few pics of some QC “issues” or nuances with the “free floating barrel” and the cnc of the Breach plug area I noticed after I saw a few forum threads about the forearm stock not centered and the breach plug off canter. Have not shot it yet just unboxed, the barrel and breach hugs the left a lot more then the right in mine. I handled a couple LrX at BPS that were worse off so I knew what I could potentially get from a different retailer. I understand it’s a production gun and no foul mouth to CVA, just adding to the forum posts. My first muzz so I’ll work with the issues just my addition to these threads. Happy hunting
Hard to believe they would let garbage like that past quality control checks. Tell them you want a refund. If they cant weld a barrel lug on straight they got a major problem with QC.

Seuss

FNG
That’s no bueno

The MR-X is also my first muzzleloader. What worked for me was an Eabco peeprib and Williams fiber optic peep sight.

Eabco peeprib:
Williams sight:

I ended up using the rear peep that was included on the peeprib but swapped in the Williams rear sight aperture (they were threaded the same) due to the Williams having a slightly larger internal diameter that matched better with the front globe sight. With at 100yd zero (300gr Thor at ≈ 1890fps) the rear peep is about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way up the ramp, so there's still some room to move it around.

Hopefully that helps, there's a lot I'm still learning.

-John
I have the same set up but with the traditional crosshairs in the front globe. It's great for longer distance shots but can be problematic in low light situations. How's your experience been in running the fiber optic pin up front.

I have the same set up but with the traditional crosshairs in the front globe. It's great for longer distance shots but can be problematic in low light situations. How's your experience been in running the fiber optic pin up front.
You do lose some of the precision compared to using the fine crosshairs, but the fiber optic worked much better for me at dusk. I was able to achieve approximately a 4in three shot grouping with it at 100yds. I was pretty happy with that result.

I purchased the no excuse bullet test kit.

I tried them all and noticed the same thing. Half way down the barrel the conical pushes very easily down the barrel with very little pressure, even the with the 0.504 bullet.

I called CVA and they told me that their barrels typically are tighter upfront. They asked if I shot it yet and I said no because how loose the bullet was in the barrel was a concern for me. They said I should try their powerbelts or I can send it in for a technical inspection. If they find an issue with the barrel they will replace it.

I am probably going to sent it in.

But should I try the powerbelts?
Do powerbelts suck?
I think they are CO legal?
Should it try another solid lead conical bullet?
Recently got a CVA inline, my first muzzleloader that wasn’t patch and ball. Had the same problem with the No Excuse sizing kit. After the initial starting of the bullet in the barrel the resistance was fairly minimal and the same no matter what size bullet I used. I thought something was wrong.
With research I found this will happen with any lubed lead bullet without a patch or wad. Lead is soft and the initial start of the bullet sizes it to your barrel, so after the first inch or so they are all the same size. As long as it isn’t undersized the only difference between the .500 and .504 No Excuse bullets would be how hard it is to start them. (LEE’s R.E.A.L. Mold is .517 for 50 cal. Muzzleloaders). Most people I found recommend .503 or .504 No Excuse bullets in a CVA.

NO LET ME BE CLEAR this is only for all lead bullets. It is VERY IMPORTANT to not use oversized copper or jacketed bullets. They do not size as easily and will cause excessive pressures.

OP
JGBowman

JGBowman

Lil-Rokslider
Recently got a CVA inline, my first muzzleloader that wasn’t patch and ball. Had the same problem with the No Excuse sizing kit. After the initial starting of the bullet in the barrel the resistance was fairly minimal and the same no matter what size bullet I used. I thought something was wrong.
With research I found this will happen with any lubed lead bullet without a patch or wad. Lead is soft and the initial start of the bullet sizes it to your barrel, so after the first inch or so they are all the same size. As long as it isn’t undersized the only difference between the .500 and .504 No Excuse bullets would be how hard it is to start them. (LEE’s R.E.A.L. Mold is .517 for 50 cal. Muzzleloaders). Most people I found recommend .503 or .504 No Excuse bullets in a CVA.

NO LET ME BE CLEAR this is only for all lead bullets. It is VERY IMPORTANT to not use oversized copper or jacketed bullets. They do not size as easily and will cause excessive pressures.
I bought some Hornady Bore Drivers. 290gr

Shot a couple and they seem to work pretty good. When you push them down they fit nice and snug in the barrel. Reviews on them seem pretty good on elk.

OP
JGBowman

JGBowman

Lil-Rokslider
I put an FP Williams adjustable peep site on my CVA and will be starting a new thread shortly. Need to fine tune my front site first.

EVO6

Lil-Rokslider
I know I need a funnel. I should be able to get on easily.
I got the muzzle break because, why not? The barrel is threaded and I wanted to try it.
I should have a ram/cleaning rod which will work.

I am researching what bullets I want to use.
Also, adjustable peep sights.
Jumping on here a little late. I have the 50 cal equipped with the Arrowhead rifles muzzle brake and powder funnel, I can drop my Parker bullets down the funnel and use the ram rod. So the funnel is first to go on last to come off, one last thing handle while loading. Not sure if it has been talked about on here, Hornady new ELD-X Bore Driver bullets I believe are Colorado legal. Can listen to their podcast episode 43.

RunNGunSC

FNG
Great thread, I’m in the market for my first muzzleloader and your experiences are very informative. Following

OP
JGBowman

JGBowman

Lil-Rokslider
Jumping on here a little late. I have the 50 cal equipped with the Arrowhead rifles muzzle brake and powder funnel, I can drop my Parker bullets down the funnel and use the ram rod. So the funnel is first to go on last to come off, one last thing handle while loading. Not sure if it has been talked about on here, Hornady new ELD-X Bore Driver bullets I believe are Colorado legal. Can listen to their podcast episode 43.
If power belts are legal than Bore Drivers should be legal.