I think I’m finally done with Salomon

Ucsdryder

WKR
I’m on my 4th pair of element 4d’s in the last 7 years. The good, half were warranty replacements, the bad, I’m tired of buying a new pair every 3rd time I need new boots.

The final straw was that my warranty replacement pair that I used for a season had a crack in the bottom of the sole. I sent them in for warranty and was told the warranty only applies to the first pair, not the warranty replacement.

On one hand I guess I should be happy that I got a pair of boots for free, but on the other hand, it annoys me that I got a year out of a pair of boots, then on top of that they’re not under warranty for a catastrophic failure.

I guess the warranty makes sense, if a boot fails every year they’d have to give a warranty pair of boots every single year.

Not sure where to go from here, probably crispi due to a couple of positive interactions I’ve had with them.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
What are we whining about this week? 🤣

Edit: I ask with love
Boots, but Colorado moose isn’t far off! 😉

The problem with Salomon is that their boots are awesome! I can put on a new pair and go on a 7 day backpacking trip and my feet will love every second.

Btw…someone said something about the thumbs down emoji. I want the middle finger options. @svivian 🖕

😝

svivian

WKR
Boots, but Colorado moose isn’t far off! 😉

The problem with Salomon is that their boots are awesome! I can put on a new pair and go on a 7 day backpacking trip and my feet will love every second.

Btw…someone said something about the thumbs down emoji. I want the middle finger options. @svivian 🖕

😝
I don’t think boots of that quality and design(quest 4, lowa renegade, etc…) are really made to last more than a year or two of hard use.

I buy a pair every two years of whatever is on sale

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
I don’t think boots of that quality and design(quest 4, lows renegade, etc…) are really made to last more than a year or two of hard use.

I buy a pair every two years of whatever is on sale
That might be true. I am not in the stiff sole gang. I’m not sure if one can expect multiple years out of a soft sole? Maybe that’s the give and take. I just don’t know. Before Salomon I used Lowa, they were fine, just not that comfortable.

svivian

WKR
That might be true. I am not in the stiff sole gang. I’m not sure if one can expect multiple years out of a soft sole? Maybe that’s the give and take. I just don’t know. Before Salomon I used Lowa, they were fine, just not that comfortable.
I’m a soft sole guy as well. In high school I used the previous years basketball shoes as hunting shoes and it was the best. Even with wet feet. I have done the kennetrek extremes and lowa tibets and they last longer but my feet do not prefer them.

Fowl Play

WKR
Yeah, I think it is give and take. I have not found a pair of light/comfortable boots that last a long time. If someone ever does, I'd love to know. But have similar experiences to you.

Thought you just used sandals?

I have some Zamberlans that are pretty well finally shot, think they are 7 years old. I wasn't treating them as often as I should, and leather got dried out and cracked. But they are hard sole.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I’m on my 4th pair of element 4d’s in the last 7 years. The good, half were warranty replacements, the bad, I’m tired of buying a new pair every 3rd time I need new boots.

The final straw was that my warranty replacement pair that I used for a season had a crack in the bottom of the sole. I sent them in for warranty and was told the warranty only applies to the first pair, not the warranty replacement.

On one hand I guess I should be happy that I got a pair of boots for free, but on the other hand, it annoys me that I got a year out of a pair of boots, then on top of that they’re not under warranty for a catastrophic failure.

I guess the warranty makes sense, if a boot fails every year they’d have to give a warranty pair of boots every single year.

Not sure where to go from here, probably crispi due to a couple of positive interactions I’ve had with them.
You know what really grinds my gears lol …. I am with you on this. Been rocking Salomon 4D’s for the past 7 years and a 200 dollar boot should last more than 6 months… not sure who they designed the boot for? Wearing around pearl street mall maybe? I have one newish pair left but I picked up some zamberlans to see how they will hold up and some merrells to try out as well…

Macintosh

WKR
Yeah, unfortunately I think soft soles = disposable. I get a year out of them max before theyre toast. stiffer boots arent as cozy out if the box, but they do last longer.

Are the lowa renegades really the same way? Id have thought they were better made.

I had a similar issue with Lowa Renegades...love the boots but they kept ripping out on the seams. Lowa replaced twice for me at no charge...so no complaints. I am currently trying out Saloman and Salewa, like them both so far.

feanor

WKR
The lapponia iii might be a good one to try. The outsole would last longer now in the latest version. They are just as comfy on my feet out of the box as a 3D. More money though I guess.

Steve79

FNG
As far as the lower priced brands go, I've got 7 years and at least 100 miles (probably double that in reality) on a pair of Hitec Altitude VIIs.
Took a good while to wear in, and the stock laces are a bit rubbish but for $175AUD I'd call that outstanding performance. Durability aside I find boots to be pretty subjective though. For example those hitecs would be murder on thick ankles but suit my chicken legs fine.

I ran salewa MTN trainers for years until they changed the design. I decided I was fine buying a new boot every year if my feet loved it.

svivian

WKR
Yeah, unfortunately I think soft soles = disposable. I get a year out of them max before theyre toast. stiffer boots arent as cozy out if the box, but they do last longer.

Are the lowa renegades really the same way? Id have thought they were better made.

I had a similar issue with Lowa Renegades...love the boots but they kept ripping out on the seams. Lowa replaced twice for me at no charge...so no complaints. I am currently trying out Saloman and Salewa, like them both so far.
These blew out during archery last fall.. at 1.5 years old. I’ll milk them for the rest of this year but renegades are not much better
C5A82CE5-49DC-46CC-9278-E60CE5A55F40.jpeg41065556-21A0-44C7-84F1-B372EB3C9BB0.jpeg

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Those are like the Chevy avalanche of boots, lots of unnecessary seems, chunks of plastic for no reason while built with suspect quality. Ski boot ankles with converse soles. Anyway crispy has a different fitting foot bed but similar toe box volume.