I need some AR expertise

I really like the CA-10 G2 in 308. I can pick one up with a carbon fiber barrel for around $2500. Can I build a similar AR for less money with a carbon fiber barrel and handguard?

Samson7x

WKR
Yes, depending on other parts used. 308 can be a bit tricky sometimes due to variations in parts so be aware of that. The standardization isn't like AR15s. I've built a few off 2A armament receivers and Aero receivers.

Predatorslayer,
You can build a cheaper one for sure. If you're dead set on an AR-10 in .308, I'd suggest snagging a used AR-10 on GunBroker for $500 to $600 and then tweak it as you see fit. But keep in mind what Samson7x said: They aren't plug and play like the AR-15. I've built dozens of AR-15s but only one AR-10, a .358 Win AR pistol. It was a pain.

Wildhorse

Lil-Rokslider
You certainly can build for less if you want but personally when it comes to an AR10 I wouldnt go anywhere else but LMT spend a little bit more and get the best you can. I carried one for 5 years overseas and never had a failure over 10s of thousands of rounds and multiple barrels my personal LMT has 3 308 barrels I have a 243 barrel and a 300 barrel it's by far and away the best AR10 I've used have had many friends get or build 10s and every single one wished or eventually did go the LMT route. You wont get a carbon fiber barrel or hand guard but what you will get is the best built rifle there is for a 10.

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
You certainly can build for less if you want but personally when it comes to an AR10 I wouldnt go anywhere else but LMT spend a little bit more and get the best you can. I carried one for 5 years overseas and never had a failure over 10s of thousands of rounds and multiple barrels my personal LMT has 3 308 barrels I have a 243 barrel and a 300 barrel it's by far and away the best AR10 I've used have had many friends get or build 10s and every single one wished or eventually did go the LMT route. You wont get a carbon fiber barrel or hand guard but what you will get is the best built rifle there is for a 10.
My LMT is also beyond reproach. All the LMT ecosystem costs are high but reasonable, except for the enhanced bolt. Luckily that's not mandatory.

-J

EMAZ

Lil-Rokslider
What’s the intention of wanting a carbon fiber barrel? Most of it will be covered by the handguard and there isn’t much weight savings in a 16-18” barrel versus various other profile AR barrels…not downplaying if it’s just an aesthetic thing that you want, but lots of match grade options and profiles if you are just trying to build a lightweight/accurate AR that could be built for under the $2500 price to potentially consider.

OP
PredatorSlayer
What’s the intention of wanting a carbon fiber barrel? Most of it will be covered by the handguard and there isn’t much weight savings in a 16-18” barrel versus various other profile AR barrels…not downplaying if it’s just an aesthetic thing that you want, but lots of match grade options and profiles if you are just trying to build a lightweight/accurate AR that could be built for under the $2500 price to potentially consider.
Not opposed to a steel barrel. I think they look cool, outside of that, I am impartial.

JVS

Lil-Rokslider
I built one with PSA upper and lower and faxon match barrel and it shoot’s unbelievable. Rock river varmint trigger. UTG super slim hand guard. Anderson adjustable gas block.

TxLite

WKR
I’d buy a PSA daily deal upper and lower for like $600 or whatever they’re going for and swap the barrel. Did the same with my 7-08 and it’s been fantastic with an adjustable gas key

I'd recommend Aero Precision matched upper/lower and use their compatible parts and use a Proof Carbon barrel. Yes you can build for cheaper. No "warranty" as a whole.

Vern400

WKR
You can probably build a better rifle for $2,400
That's if you can build a rifle.
I recently shot a custom rifle and it's pretty hard to argue with using an aero precision matched upper and lower. Whether carbon fiber barrels are worth a crap on an AR I don't know. In theory that thin Little barrel tube will heat up really fast inside that carbon. I would imagine sustain fire will wipe it smooth real quick.

Even with a light barrel that's not going to be a light gun.

OP
PredatorSlayer
It would need to be close to the same weight as the christensen. I don’t want a heavy AR10. I wont use it…

EMAZ

Lil-Rokslider
It would need to be close to the same weight as the christensen. I don’t want a heavy AR10. I wont use it…
Look into the 2A Armament Xanthos receiver set; and Smoke Composites for Carbon handguard with rail add-on and carbon buffer tube with boss…this will cut a significant amount of weight if you go the build route and should allow you to come in under your $2500 mark with an ultralight weight build

grog24

Lil-Rokslider
I've seen two CA .308s that won't run worth a dang. Rifles wont cycle correctly. FTF, FTE, etc. No matter if they're suppressed, unsuppressed, different ammo, different mags, etc. you name it. My friend is lucky to get 2 to 3 shots off before some sort of issue. Reached out to CA and they said "they were too busy to address it" and just sent another gas block to my friend and told him to try that (didn't help).

Piss poor customer service for a rifle costing that much.
I'd recommend staying away.

OP
PredatorSlayer
I've seen two CA .308s that won't run worth a dang. Rifles wont cycle correctly. FTF, FTE, etc. No matter if they're suppressed, unsuppressed, different ammo, different mags, etc. you name it. My friend is lucky to get 2 to 3 shots off before some sort of issue. Reached out to CA and they said "they were too busy to address it" and just sent another gas block to my friend and told him to try that (didn't help).

Piss poor customer service for a rifle costing that much.
I'd recommend staying away.
I am ok with CA. I have several of their rifles and the one time I had to deal with their customer service, I was treated well. My buddy has 2 CA10s and a CA 15 and they seem to work well. I am open to less expensive options that will allow me to accomplish the same light weight objective. This will be my Alaskan moose hunting gun going forward…

grog24

Lil-Rokslider
I am ok with CA. I have several of their rifles and the one time I had to deal with their customer service, I was treated well. My buddy has 2 CA10s and a CA 15 and they seem to work well. I am open to less expensive options that will allow me to accomplish the same light weight objective. This will be my Alaskan moose hunting gun going forward…
Glad you've had positive experiences. I have a smaller sample size than you. I've been around (2) of their AR-10s (one way worse than the other, but both are not "reliable") and (1) of their bolt actions (mesa) which worked fine and grouped well with handloads.

SloppyJ

WKR
Just dealing with my 9" 300blk, it's very dependent on what suppressor you're running on it to determine performance and sound. When I put my R9 on it and shoot subs it's stupid quiet and I'm working to get it even more so. However, if I thread on my 10 stack AB Raptor, the increase in backpressure is too much and it starts to get funky even with an adjustable gas block. Granted, that can is not made for an AR but I figured it would work better than it does. Still playing with it though.

If your goal is ultimate suppression, after a few experiences, I've learned to always go with a bolt/lever gun. Just my opinion. I think the opportunity for enhanced accuracy is higher with a bolt gun than a gas gun as well. That comes down to many factors but the most important is that it's harder to shoot a gas gun as good. Again, just my opinion. I have an extra m5 upper/lower that I'm itching to do something with though. A 338 Fed or light weight 6mm build have interested me lately.

I'm a pretty young guy but hunting with an AR just doesn't do it for me. I much prefer a good bolt gun and I think they look much more attractive than an AR as well. But having a SHTF AR10 would be fun too.

Weldor

WKR
If you want lightweight and reliability try Roam. 5.9 lbs.

EMAZ

Lil-Rokslider
Not that you need to build it the same way if you choose to go that route, but I wanted a lightweight 7mm-08…this was my build list from what I recall (built it 3 years ago):

2A Xanthos receiver set
2A Xanthos rail
2A .308 BCG (standard not lightweight versions)
2A Titanium takedown pins
2A adjustable 8 way billet buffer tube (really more of an A5 length)
2A lower parts kit
2A castle nut/plate
BCM .308 ambi charging handle
Strike Industries Dust Cover
MFT Minimalist stock
Tubbs flatware AR15 spring
Odin works adjustable AR15 buffer
Superlative Arms Adjustable .750 gas block
Larue MBT 2 stage trigger
Battle Arms Development lightweight ambi safety
Battle Arms Development mag release
Seekins bolt release
Magpul K2+ grip
Wilson Combat 18” 7mm-08 stainless Recon barrel
Wilson Combat intermediate stainless gas tube (matched for barrel)
Anarchy Outdoors Titanium Muzzle Break 5/8-24
Came in just under $2k for build
Scope: Nikon Monarch 5 ED 2-10x42 w/ Aero Precision lightweight 1” mount (decent scope and mount I had as an extra from a prior AR15 build)

Weight with Scope (no mag) 8.6lbs; ~8.8 with 5 round .308 Magpul pmag empty.

It runs and shoots very well (150gr ELD-X off the shelf)…

*edited as original pic didn’t have charging handle/bolt

Attachments

• IMG_2087.jpeg
    IMG_2087.jpeg
    232.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1285.jpeg
    IMG_1285.jpeg
    245.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
By squeezing .308-length cartridges into an AR-15-sized package, POF's Rogue and Ruger's SFAR (Small Frame AR) have upended the AR-10 market. I'd give them a hard look.