I need experienced info

So I am in the process of picking out a pack. I am going to need it to take me on a 5-8 day archery hunt in western CO. I also am going to use this for high mileage whitetail tracking and packing in northern PA on the regular. I’m assuming I need over 5000 cu in from what I can tell. I’ve done my research on brands and all that jazz but is there a size you prefer that is ideal for day hunts when collapsed? Just trying to pick your brains.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The stone glacier packs do a really good job of compressing down for day use then expanding for longer trips.

ScottinPA

WKR
I use a Kifaru DT1 currently. For day hunts is compresses down pretty good and plenty of room for multi day hunts. If you get around Warren PA and want to see it in person let me know.

kickemall

WKR
I've used Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Kuiu and Seek Outside. Every one of them compressed down well for day hunts and all were over 5000 cu. I hunt with my pack on, compressed down if that helps. You'll be fine with any of them.

THBZN

Lil-Rokslider
So I am in the process of picking out a pack. I am going to need it to take me on a 5-8 day archery hunt in western CO. I also am going to use this for high mileage whitetail tracking and packing in northern PA on the regular. I’m assuming I need over 5000 cu in from what I can tell. I’ve done my research on brands and all that jazz but is there a size you prefer that is ideal for day hunts when collapsed? Just trying to pick your brains.

Take a look at the new MYSTERY RANCH Beartooth....

^^^^^ This is what I would do, and then if the beartooth bag is too cumbersome buy a mule/pintler (bag only option) to swap out for WT hunting....

Muleyslayer14

Lil-Rokslider
I think it really depends on your personal gear and how much bulk you like to pack around. I used a 3500 for 5 days of backcountry the pack in and out of country the bag was pushed above its size capacity but in day mode it’s my preferred size. I now run a 5000 and it does great for packing camp around but I find it a little excessive for day mode.

I think one big question to ask yourself is what season you intend on using it the most, later hunts always mean more bulk. (Sleeping bags, more jackets ect.)

It’s all personal preference and person gear load outs. Good luck on your archery hunt!

OP
G
Thanks guys! It will be primarily WT late season tracking/spot and stalk type hunts. I really like the beartooth and the cabinet or Pintler swap out idea. I am sure I will over pack for my west hunt due to inexperience and caution but this is a trial run for the next decade to see how we can do.

brsnow

WKR
I have owned most brands and finally got a seek outside. I am shocked by the comfort, quality, and lightness. They are western CO just stop in and get one while you are out west.

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
I have had large Mystery Ranch and Kifaru packs (6500/7000 cu). Both compress down to comfortable day pack size (though one wouldn't pick them as a dedicated daypack), I wouldn't want to do a 5-8 day trip with anything smaller than 5000 CU and would prefer something bigger. There is more versatility in the bigger bag and the additional cubic inches don't cost much more $ or weight or have a big effect on compressibility.

Any of the major brands make a pack that will cover your needs. But speaking of cover, if you will be navigating through thick deer trails back east it may be better to have a shorter pack. Like a kifaru 24 in frame vs the 26. You will suffer a bit more with a heavy pack out when out west but realistically what % of your hunting will be with a pack full or mule deer or elk?