I need COLD weather gloves, advice?

dmdude

FNG
My Dad was recently complaining to me about the hundreds of dollars, if not thousands of dollars he's spent on trying to find a glove that actually keeps him warm. He spends a lot of time in the Maine winter. I would like to hopefully find him the most badass warm glove for Christmas. Can you guys/gals recommend a glove that'll work for an old man needing to keep his poor circulating fingers warm?

Mahalo -N

OP
D

dmdude

FNG
He has used mittens too without much better success. I think he just has poor hand circulation. He also heavily prefers gloves over mittens...

*zap*

WKR
Outdoor research makes some very warm 'pro' gloves and also mutant mittens. Your not going to be able to do much with them on but keep your hands warm.
Both will have removable liners and you can put a handwarmer between the liner and outer....

IMG_5641.JPG

IMG_5642.JPG

Moserkr

WKR
Northstar gloves from kuiu are really warm - needs to be well below freezing for me to bring them out. Also very waterproof with snow cuffs. Bulky.

But when hunting in sodak in January for pheasants, I wear a cheap, thick fleece glove from cabelas. Doesnt look like they make them anymore, but thick fleece is awesome. They are not waterproof, but less bulky. Not as warm as the northstars, but i can feel what im doing when using them.

Under both, I wear a thin, tight merino liner glove. If that and the northstars dont do it, then he needs battery heated gloves or a warmer climate to live in.

Laramie

WKR
Doesn't solve the gift idea but...

Keeping you hands warm is simple. Buy a pack of toe warmers. Stick them to the top inside of a pair of gloves. When you have the glove on, the warmer needs to be touching the back of your hand... Where all the blood runs.

Lots of experience with cold fingers in the Maine winter. I have terrible circulation in my hands. I finally figured out a system that works for me last year. First year I ever remember getting through hunting/skiing season without cold fingers:

1. $15 Fingerless ragg wool gloves. I have these, but plenty of other companies/sellers on etsy make an equivalent. Make sure they come up your wrists a little bit to close the gap between your sleeve hand.
2. If it's pretty cold - $30-$50 lined leather "chopper" mitts. Kinco, esty sellers, many others. I have these from flylow because they came pre-waterproofed, but you could save some money by oiling/waxing yourself.
3. if it's really cold - $40 Milsurp extreme cold weather mittens, like these. Much bulkier and harder to slip off than the leather mitten, but they do the job when you really need them.

I've tried a ton of options over the years, but this solution has been the best for me. Throw in some hand warmers, slip off the mittens for more dexterity and the fingerless gloves will keep your fingers alive for a little bit, put the mitts back on and they'll be like little ovens. We all layer for our torso and legs, why not our hands? This isn't a new/novel idea or anything, just something that works for me!

Maverick1

WKR
I have a solution......for when it's really cold out.....it is a bit unusual....but it works.

Like most, I have used a variety of gloves and/or mittens.

When it starts to get cold, I usually pair that with a handwarmer and a muff, and this usually works well for cooler/cold temps (down to 20 or so.) But the problem I always run into in really cold weather is heat loss near my wrists - because that's where the sleeves from my base layers, insulating layer, and outer layer meet, as well as the point where most gloves/mittens end. And, unfortunately, most/all muffs aren't long enough or big enough in diameter to solve this problem.

So, when it is really cold out, I use Icebreaker boot blankets for my hands. (They work for your feet....why not your hands?!). Put the book blankets on a nylon belt, using their supplied loops, and toss a handwarmer in each one. Stuff your hands in and bury them up to your mid-forearm. It is bulky, but it absolutely works. (And, yes, I said Icebreaker BOOT blankets, not their HanBlanket.....like most other muffs on the market, the opening on their handwarmer is not large enough or long enough to accept your forearm.) When you need to take your hands out for something, the boot blankets fall down by your waist, since they are fastened to your body with the nylon belt mentioned above.

There is plenty of insulation in the boot blankets (300 grams), the opening is wide enough to accept your arm, including all of your baselayers, insulating layer, and outer layer, (they are designed for your boots and legs, after all) and they are long enough to bury your arms into them up to your mid-forearm, covering up the heat loss area of the wrist mentioned above. Try it!

My hands have never gotten cold using this system. Tested down to -15 degrees air temperature for an all day sit. (I rarely have to use this, since it doesn't get that cold here often, but am confident that it works when I need it to.)

OP
D

dmdude

FNG
Thanks for all the great replies. I guess he has some decent mittens but they're HUGE! Out of the gloves mentioned, I'll look for some Black Friday deals and buy one of each if possible and let him decide. Thank again!!!

tcpip95

Lil-Rokslider
The best, warmest gloves I've ever owned were the ones that were issued to me in the USAF. They are the wool inserts and the leather shells. They got me through outdoor winter survival school, arctic survival school and every day living. My hands/fingers have NEVER felt cold in them. These are similar, but not leather shells:

These will also definitely keep his hands warm.

Laramie

WKR
Seriously guys... Toe warmers on the back of your hand -stick to the glove, not your hand. It works down to below zero temps with a standard Thinsulate glove. Give it a shot.

Lowg08

WKR
There is allot of good advice. I personally used the following set up today at 18-31 at 4600’ elevation. First lite full finger wool gloves. Brooks down mittens with a hot hand in them. It’s amazing and can be slipped off easily to shoot. It’s all
I use anymore. The muff is great and works great. So does the toastie toes on the back of the glove. I have used this in my rubber gloves at work down to single digits. But the brooks down mittens and full fingered wool with a hot hands is amazing

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
You want gloves that the ice climbers use. Look at Hestra. Then get an oversized mitten shell that’s water proof over the gloves. Bomb proof.

go_deep

WKR
I primarily use wool, but I did get a pair of Skre cold weather glassing mittens, and they are rather nice.