I need a bigger sleeping bag.

I have a Marmot 0 degree mummy bag that I take back country. I never sleep that well in it because I like to bend my legs and move around when I sleep. I want to get a 0 degree for truck camping at base camp and for it to have plenty of room.

Cabela's sells one that is 44 inches wide which seems excessive and like it would be too wide and open to keep the warmth in. Anyone have recommendations?

*zap*

WKR
unfortunately you will have to try some different sizes and find out what is going to work best for you. for non packing you might try a wiggys long/wide. he also makes some rectangular bags so check the website.

zenbivy is worth a look. the bigger sizes are huge, and the loft on the down is very impressive.

MThuntr

WKR
I can't sleep inside a bag regardless of situation. I buy tall or long bags because they do tend to be a bit wider and I sleep under them with feet in the toe box which is basically like you would with a quilt. You can buy very wide quilts from several different companies. For truck camping, I sleep on top of a heavy cheap-o sleeping bag often with an air pad inside the bag and then under an unzipped bag.

Cabelas also has some bags that are 40" wide which may be better for you. They are very heavy but seem to be comfy. Of course with those lower end bags I'd likely "up size in temp rating" if this is for cold camping. Of course a thin liner bag could help with drafts in a larger bag.

Kodiak Canvas has a curious design for truck camping which might be an option too but they are massive

Lando

WKR
If for truck camping, I'd go Wiggy's rectangular, if for backpacking/backcountry I'd go WM Sequoia or Zenbivy.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Same as MtnHunter, with a Big Agnes Hog Park 20'.
Use it more like a quilt - just sleep under it.
I have a couple quilts I use too.
Cant sleep IN a bag.

for wall tent hunts where we camp @ the truck I run a Browning Mckinley. Super cozy, very roomy. Its gigantic rolled up and weight is like 12 lbs. I only use it during late season elk hunting in the wall tent.

WW sequoia MF for late season backpacking or anything not right at the truck.

Big agnes expandable torch lite 30 degree for earlier season stuff.

Catahoula

WKR
I use an older version of the current Big Agnes Diamond Park bag. Two models available in “0” and “15” degree. This bag does require the use of an insulated pad of users choosing. My older version (BA Summit Park 15) is plenty roomy. Not a bad option for the price either.

I never slept great in a traditional mummy bag. I tried a quilt and wasn’t a huge fan. I picked up a Nemo Riff that is designed for side sleepers and finally get a good night’s sleep.

Key question is whether you want synthetic or natural down, and if you go natural down, whether you want duck or are willing to pay for goose.

If you can answer that, and know what temp range (paying attention to whether you run hot or cold, how warm your tent/sleeping pad is, etc.), you can narrow it down on manufacturers. I am personally a big fan of feathered friends.

Once key ingredient that many bags do not come with his a high quality stuff sack. You want one with straps you can seriously tighten, not just a draw string at the top. This will make all the difference in making whatever bag you get packable.

Jakerex

WKR
For truck camping, see if you can find an older north face Goliath 3D. I can swim around in it, and it’s warm….and affordable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk