I lost my dog today.....

OP
W

Wrench

WKR
We are in the exact place with our poor old GSP. I lost her for a few hours going into dark last year. Scared the hell out of me. She ended up being back at the truck the second time i went back to look for her (after hiking all of hells creation in a panic).
The full story is crazy as hell, but bottom line is I found her and I hope the best for you and yours as well.

I sure hope mine can end that way. Its blowing like mad here tonight and i parked on a exposed ridge.....so my hopes are not what a calm summer eve would bring.

BAKPAKR

WKR
I am sorry she is missing. You might call the Forest Service office that handles that area and ask them to put the word out to staff to watch for her. Also, check to see if there are any contractors (loggers/road/trail/etc) working in the vicinity and contact them. That is rugged country - I took some goat photos there years ago. Good luck finding her.

I lost my female beagle when I was a kid. I was very upset about it. I went back to look for her the next day for hours and couldn't find her. Then as we were driving home about 2 miles away I spotted her running across someones front yard. Got out and she came a running to me. I bought tracking collars the next day and never had to worry again.

I hope you find your dog.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
The lack of closure and the unknown always really suck in such situations. I'm sorry.

Jethro

WKR
Check back where you were parked and where you last saw the dog as often as you can today. I've only had my dog run off 1 x while we were on a hike. I looked 2 hours into dark and finally had to go home.

10 pm went back to trailhead and there was the dog. It had scent tracked itself 2 miles back to the parking lot.

Good luck to you.

rclouse79

WKR
I am in the same boat with a dog that is 15 after living through two major surgeries. Even when you know the end is near it seems like you are never ready when it actually comes. I hope you find your dog, and have peace that they had a good life with you regardless.

That is rugged country - I took some goat photos there years ago. Good luck finding her.
I was taking some pics of a goat right there 3 years ago as well. Was on the phone though, so more of a white dot.

Being in the same spot that she knew you parked last seems to be the key aspect in a few stories.
Praying you get back on here with a happy ending.🙏

I heard that if you go to the last place you saw her, and leave a coat or jacket on the ground there (with your scent on it), they will return looking for you. When they come upon your clothing item with a familiar scent, they will stay there waiting for you to return. Certainly worth a try. Good Luck !!

rayporter

WKR
how sad! good luck.

i had a rat terrier that we took on a trip to the big south fork and he kept trying to wander off. he was deaf also. any how he laid down and cashed right there. it was his last trip and he had a great time for a while.

Okhotnik

WKR
Took my pup and my 14 year old Drahthaar for a hike above lake PO in north Id and my old dog vanished. She's deaf and not in fantastic shape but was doing well. She took off to see my wife and I never saw her again.

We had a few friends in the area who gave us a hand hiking through the area again....but no dice. At this point I'm not sure if she just cashed in her chips and we walked past her or she caught wind of something and went into Drahthaar mode.....or we were on a scary steep face that ended in the kind of fall that would be the end of the story.

At this point I'm hoping someone spots her and calls me....but my sense of reality is telling me that my dog has to go out in the last way I'd wish for her.

This sucks.
pm sent

Okhotnik

WKR
Took my pup and my 14 year old Drahthaar for a hike above lake PO in north Id and my old dog vanished. She's deaf and not in fantastic shape but was doing well. She took off to see my wife and I never saw her again.

We had a few friends in the area who gave us a hand hiking through the area again....but no dice. At this point I'm not sure if she just cashed in her chips and we walked past her or she caught wind of something and went into Drahthaar mode.....or we were on a scary steep face that ended in the kind of fall that would be the end of the story.

At this point I'm hoping someone spots her and calls me....but my sense of reality is telling me that my dog has to go out in the last way I'd wish for her.

This sucks.
be up there in the area today. bring both my dogs with gps collars. maybe they'll find her. Ill hike around let you know.

blackdog of vt

Lil-Rokslider
Very sorry here too, get that pup home if that's at all possible. We've all been through it and it's got to be one of the most painful things to go through. With that said, I had a 13 year old seemingly healthy dog I let out to do his business and didn't come back. Called and called and nothing so I went of searching. I found him by a stream not 100 yards from home just laying there. When he saw me he wagged and had that happy face I've seen a million times but didn't get up. I sat down by him and not two hours later he passed. Wanted to go out on his own terms I guess and I really respected him for that. Wicked rough though.

Last edited:

mtnlomo

FNG
I hope she turns up, as a kid we had a Weimaraner that wandered a lot, he always seemed to turn up just as we were giving up. So there’s always hope. Lost him to cancer some years ago, always hard no matter how when they leave us for good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GLB

WKR
Sorry your dog is missing, I understand the hurt and hope you find her.
I recently had to say good bye to my wonderful Blue to pancreatic cancer.