I got to quit smoking

CharlieTX

FNG
I work with 2 guys that did the Mark Patrick hypnosis and it has worked for them! One of them hasn’t smoked in 1.5+ year and the other just recently done it and it’s working.

Stefan

Lil-Rokslider
I stopped a while back (double digits for years I haven't smoked). There was no weaning off, it was just quit because I am the guy who if he has one (but just one, says the voice in my head), I will just have one more (just one more, says the voice again) and I wouldn't stop. So completely quitting was my only answer. I tried to minimize situations where I would be around other people smoking which helped and I knew that I could never have another one.

Hopefully you find a path that works for you! Good luck!

bbassi

Lil-Rokslider
Pack a day smoker for 25 years. Quit for good 12 years ago. I spent a week in the mountains this fall at 9500 ft +/-. ( I live @ 700ft) Up and down the hills every day. Going out there I expected it to be a problem, but it really wasn't and I'm beyond thankful that I quit when I did. My only advice is if you are a drinker, quit that too until you KNOW you are done smoking for good. I've seen people who have beat the physical addiction fall right back into the habit after a night out with the boys on more than one occasion.

I stopped cold turkey, with a couple slip ups over the first months. My buddy used hypnotism, and it worked in one try.

It is literally as simple (simple, not easy) and throwing them away and not buying or begging for more. Understand up front that life will suck substantially for a week, then less so but still bad for another week, then mostly nostalgia or longing for something to do with your hands and mouth. That's why even plain gum helps so much.

For anything that you are capable of, “Do or do not. There is no try.”

Good luck! Its an extremely difficult task. First youve got to REALLY want to quit. Try every method and don't stop trying. It took me and many others countless attempts before quiting. Different methods work for different people.

I haven't smoked for probably 20 years but after 40 years of chewing Copenhagen, I started when I was in kindergarten, and a few failed attempts, I did it cold Turkey. It's really just mind over matter and I'm sure being more stubborn than a mule didn't hurt my cause any.

TheGDog

WKR
My Stepfather, when he began to have his heart-attack*S* at the end there... it was explained to him that they know there is something about the combo of Caffeine + Nicotine which greatly promotes the formation of plaque in the arteries.

Just wanted to mention that in case it wasn't mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

Also.. since some mentioned Chantex... I just wanted to share that I take Wellbutrin XL for... let's just say "reasons"... and that same med is what is in Zyban, a med also prescribed for quitting smoking. Note that when on the Bupropion(the chemical name for it)... you *may* notice you're quicker to temper and have less patience to towards the not-nice actions of others.

Last edited:

PNWkid

FNG
Chewing tobacco helped me quite smoking... not any better but it stinks less... any of ya'll have recommendations on how to quite dipping?...

TheGDog

WKR
Look at pictures of former baseball stars and what they look like after getting half their jaw hacked-off from the cancer from dipping. It's just as bad man... just shifts where the cancer comes up at.

PNWkid

FNG
Yeah, I'm well aware. they're both horrible habits.

I never thought I'd never be able to quit cigarettes, dipping is equally as bad for sure, but it's eliminated the smell of cigarette smoke.

Back then I used to go through a pack every couple of days.

TheGDog

WKR
I could never see going thru that pain (of smoking hurting the lungs) for know appreciable affect other than a little stimulated/upper affect similar to caffeine but with more appetite supression. Makes me real sad when especially when I see young girls start. They get into it for the appetite supression thing, and before they realize it, it's years and years later before they realize the need to stop.

My dad started smoking working fishing boats in the summer when he was 15. Probably 2-3 or more packs a day at his peak. My brother and I are both middle age, never smoked and having scarring in our lungs from breathing his second smoke for 18 years Growing up. He was almost 70 when he got lung cancer. I picked him up at the hospital when he was diagnosed and he was sitting on a bench outside smoking and crying. Small cell carcinoma. No surgeries. Radiation and chemo. He had some complications and was in a coma the first month of treatment. He went through nicotine withdrawal during the coma and never smoked again once he woke up. He had a pretty good year after that. Another birthday. Another Xmas. A bit of travel and a chance to see his grand kids. The second year wasn’t good. His health was so bad he was chair bound most of the time. He knew the end was coming and he was scared. He panicked whenever he couldn’t breath and would call 911 which led to a lot of ambulance trips to the hospital and each one was 2-3 days in patient Before they let him go home. The end was pretty peaceful. Hospice. A dirty little secret of hospice is it is veiled assisted suicide. the doc will give you as much morphine as he can justify to end things quietly. Usually takes a day or two depending on what shape you are in when you arrive. Dad was a tough old bird and after a couple days the doc got to the point where he couldn’t give him a higher dose so they were talking about discharging him. It took until day 5 for the morphine to kill him. I held his hand and talked to him as it grew cold. We scattered his ashes in New Orleans at the mouth of a river on Lake Pontchartrain where we used to ski and fish As kids.

Right up to the end he couldn’t acknowledge that it was the smoking that caused the cancer that killed him. His people all lived to their 90s so he probably had another 20 years But for the cancer.

I can’t tell you how to quit smoking, but I can tell you that you should. It will end you before your time, unless something else Gets you first. it will also impact those around you when they have to care for you And chances are your end won’t be quick or pretty.

I don’t know if that scarring in my lungs will turn into cancer in another 20 years or so. But if it does, I sure as hell will know what killed me.

TheGDog

WKR
My dad started smoking working fishing boats in the summer when he was 15. Probably 2-3 or more packs a day at his peak. My brother and I are both middle age, never smoked and having scarring in our lungs from breathing his second smoke for 18 years Growing up.

Ah... so I assume you too are also familiar with social gatherings at their house... where all the adults would sit and smoke... and the smoke would fill the room.... and when an adult would get up to leave the room... their head and shoulders cut a wake thru the cloud of smoke filling-in from the ceiling downward.

Also... when moms remarried... that guys home, though not that much farther away.... was in between 2 major oil refineries. 1 within a mile, the other maybe 4-5 miles down the road. I know darn well I've got lung issues from their choices and actions. Got real happy when CA passed that law requiring fools to be at least 20' away from doorways at work offices when they smoked. I'm all for their right to choose to do it. But do believe a lil bit of respect for others is in order there.

You'll note how cigarette smokers start becoming more and more lazy (as their bodies loose ability to oxygenate as well as before) and, that they start eating spicier and spicier foods (because the smoking is killing their tastebuds) and you'll start to hear them complaining about pain in their guts because of how they've started taking to eating spicier stuff since their tastebuds aren't working like they should now.

And in social gatherings, you'll notice how they start not wanting to get up and dance anymore. They're more content to sit around and talk.

raskgc

Lil-Rokslider
I quit cold turkey years ago just have to make the decision that its a must do and do it.

Reactions: WCB

WCB

WKR
I used to chew...I just stopped buying it when I wanted to quit. For me it was that easy.

Of course I never was a guy that "needed" it.

Try getting a can of Zyn. Probably start with 6 MG then maybe ween down to 3 MG after a while then quit nicotine all together if that's your goal. Zyn is basically a Snus pouch but no nitrosamines or any of the other cancer stuff. It's just pharmaceutical nicotine salts.

Buffinnut

Lil-Rokslider
Its been said plenty of times here but you just have to make the decision. Not I should quit for someone else, not I kind of want to quit, not i really want to quit.

You have to be dedicated to I WILL NEVER DO THAT AGAIN.

Don't even bother unless you are 100% in.

My main problem was hanging out with people who smoked and chewed.

We would all be out camping and drinking and eventually I'd give in.

Get away from people who are dragging you down with them. Doing that also helped me stop drinking. I don't even know how much time I wasted staying up until 4 am drunk and spending the entire next day sleeping or hung over. I could have spent that time fishing or in the woods.

Jo83ben

FNG
Best way to quit is the way that works for you. If that’s cold turkey, nicotine gum, or hypnosis, doesn’t make a difference.

First step is to want to quit. Not just for a family member etc etc, but for yourself.

If and when you screw up and have a smoke, don’t despair and think of yourself as a failure, just accept it as a hiccup...a step in the process of quitting, and move on with it.

Smoking isn’t just the addiction, it’s also the social interaction, the habit, the ritual, and time spent doing it. One of the hard things to do is to find another way to fulfill those things...be it chewing on gum, having a glass of water or whatever else allows you to fill that time you spent smoking with something purposeful or fulfilling or just time consuming.

There a lot of other options out there that can help as well, and sometimes taking a multifaceted approach is best. Medications like Wellbutrin which is an antidepressant can help with smoking cessation, aren’t addicting, and can be taken for a short period to help in your process.

Not sure if this helps, but it’s some of the information I share with my patients that express an interest in quitting. The fact that you want to quit is amazing, and quite literally the best thing you can do for your health. Congrats on that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk