I got smoked buying a knife off a FB group. Anything I can do?

intunegp

WKR
Chris Reeve Nyala.....been discontinued several years.

Idaho Made....by hand...with some Class.

Great knife. I sold mine a while back and sometimes wish I hadn't. I still need to try out the new Backpacker and Inyoni.

D5qJ6yZ.jpg

CMP70306

WKR
Not trying to rub salt in the wound, but that’s why I’ll never use F &F. What did you save, like $9?
Always worth it to me. Even on big stuff.
Hate it for ya

Always amazes me folks will take a chance to lose their money just to save 3% by using F&F.

Its not usually the buyer wanting to save 3% but they fall for the seller saying they only want payment F&F.

The bigger issue is that going forward PayPal will 1099 anyone who uses G&S over $600 which means as a seller you now have to fork over some documents to the government to explain why they shouldn’t steal 20% to 50% of that money.

Over the past couple years I’ve sold about $15k worth of stuff I’d collected over the past 15 years. I didn’t have all the receipts but I lost money overall compared to the purchase prices. With G&S I’d be on the hook to explain why I shouldn’t be reporting that $15k as additional income even though i had spent more for it and it was sold at a loss.

deerninja

FNG
Sorry to hear that! PayPal has very little protections...heck, even keeping money in that platform (including its Venmo label) is risky because they are not a bank and there are very little protections for the consumer with these utilities.

JohnB

WKR
The bigger issue is that going forward PayPal will 1099 anyone who uses G&S over $600 which means as a seller you now have to fork over some documents to the government to explain why they shouldn’t steal 20% to 50% of that money.
As of today that has not been implemented and still is not the case with the exception of a few states that have a lower reporting threshold. Perhaps it will change in the future.

CMP70306

WKR
As of today that has not been implemented and still is not the case with the exception of a few states that have a lower reporting threshold. Perhaps it will change in the future.

They dropped it to $5,000 in 2024 and I assume 2025 will be lower if not down to their $600 goal.

intunegp

WKR
Out of the handful of 'too soon' jokes on my behalf.....nobody is gonna beat intunegp

For posting a picture and saying it's a good knife? If you attempted to buy one you already knew what they looked like and that they are highly regarded. Sucks that you got scammed but it's not like it is some unobtainable unicorn that you will never see again. They're on the secondary market regularly for $400 or less. Hell there are a couple on eBay right now if you need one bad enough to pay those prices.

OP
J
For posting a picture and saying it's a good knife? If you attempted to buy one you already knew what they looked like and that they are highly regarded. Sucks that you got scammed but it's not like it is some unobtainable unicorn that you will never see again. They're on the secondary market regularly for $400 or less. Hell there are a couple on eBay right now if you need one bad enough to pay those prices.
Was sarcasm and humor I do feel it's a Unicorn. Most/All are the Insingo blade profile

intunegp

WKR
Was sarcasm and humor I do feel it's a Unicorn. Most/All are the Insingo blade profile

They made the Nyala from 2010 to 2020, there's 10 years worth of them out there constantly changing hands. Especially if you're in a CRK group on Facebook, it won't be long before you see another one that won't be a scam.

Never pay via F&F on PayPal unless they are literally a Friend or Family member... Full stop. If a guy hasn't gotten burned yet, it's only a matter of time.

OP
J
They made the Nyala from 2010 to 2020, there's 10 years worth of them out there constantly changing hands. Especially if you're in a CRK group on Facebook, it won't be long before you see another one that won't be a scam.
What's a "Real" price for a plain Jane Nyala? Sub $500?

I had an Umnumzaan for a month or so before I traded it to a coworker (in person...lol). I am on a few drop lists for another. My knife budget is shorter than expected at the moment. Like -$300 lighter than expected

intunegp

WKR
What's a "Real" price for a plain Jane Nyala? Sub $500?

I had an Umnumzaan for a month or so before I traded it to a coworker (in person...lol). I am on a few drop lists for another. My knife budget is shorter than expected at the moment. Like -$300 lighter than expected

I sold the one I posted above about a year ago for $350, I think the last few I've seen have gone in the $400-$450 range.

I've owned six or seven Sebenzas and an Inkosi but still never tried the Zaan. It's on the list but I'm kind of holding out for something with either my or my fiance's birthday at the moment so whatever that happens to be will probably be my next CRK.

Maverick1

WKR
I'm Jesse James and this is a robbery !
Sorry , couldn't resist . Could be worse , I loaned a friend $500 and never saw or heard from him again .
That seems like quite a good deal, actually. It only cost you $500 to get a dishonest “friend” removed entirely from your life? Heck, I’d pay that, seems like a good use of $500!

CRJR45

WKR
That seems like quite a good deal, actually. It only cost you $500 to get a dishonest “friend” removed entirely from your life? Heck, I’d pay that, seems like a good use of $500!
Yes , but this was a young man that I watched grow up with my daughter , mentored him a little , then he met a girl druggie , had a baby , went down hill I guess . Now I'm cut off , he's blocked me , and I'm five states away . Don't care about the money , but I can't help but wonder if not for the money would I be able to help get back on track ?

To the OP - Sucks you got scammed , thanks for taking the jabs without getting butthurt , it's more fun that way , IMO .