I dont understand the hostility towards wolf reintroduction in Colorado

wow its unbeleaveble that wolves eat things. of course is a terrible loss for families but i think its is part of life.
And "finally" getting rid of these pests was also "part of life".......at least for those that were affected by them. I think it would be pretty cool to drop 1000 wolves and grizzlies off in Denver and Boulder, and then see how they like that. Some.....maybe only a few???? might change their vote.

Wolves were put there buy ballot box against G&F recommendation with ZERO plan to manage them. If deadlines or population goals must be met for management to be regained by the state, in this day and age no matter how high that population gets management will NEVER be turned over. Look at MN.

Research Idaho and what happened there. That is the root of most of the hostility.

Reintroduce them and keep moving the parameters for delisting. It really makes people trust and want to do it again.
Hey at least Idaho has a season on them now and it is fairly stable. Come talk to us in MN if you want to scratch your head.

Even for people who think wolves should be on the landscape a lot of people disagree with how it was done. Ballot box biology mandating reintroduction when wolves were already starting to expand to CO from WY. The ballot measure snuck in that wolves would be a "non-game" species, making it very unlikely that there will ever be any hunting or serious management of their population. Beyond the obvious effect of wolves on ungulate populations these are a few reasons people are upset.
Excellent post.
I’m one of those that believes wolves should be on the landscape, but allowed to be managed. Here in California, we have Mountain Lion and Bobcat that are no longer managed due to law. The end result has been tragic in regards to ungulate game.

When you add in the invasive populations of feral horses, burros, etc. it’s a real ***t show. Can we have wolves that are trained to prey only on horses and burros?

lets do caribou and sage grouse too. im going to dig into this. In the most broad sense i think the ecology of the west pre western expansion is what i would want to re introduce. were caribou roaming the rockies at that point in history ?
So are you dreaming of a utopia where you can go back hundreds of years , before natural changes in the west?

Humans are a species on the planet.

Would you like to exterminate all the humans, and then reintroduce other species that didn’t do as well?

It seems like that’s what you hinting at in this post, without coming right out and saying it.

Last edited:
@Loo.wii I too have a genuine question/observation then. I see "EO Hire" on your posts. I assume Equal Opportunity Hire, in an effort to better understand where you're coming from what does that mean? You support, awarded a position, etc. I don't believe for one second you are genuine. I do believe you know exactly what you're up to.

You do realize that not all peer reviewed "scientific journals" are even all that scientific. Any time there is money or an agenda involved youre bound to wind up with bogus papers that were peer reviewed by other people seeking money or following an agenda. Plenty of examples of that out there as well if you just use your brain.
*cough* CWD *cough*

I appreciate this. i lacked this perspective..........

This rancher is multi-generational, works for the state as a Livestock Brand Inspector, did everything the state asked, and still had livestock killed 75 yds from the house. Notice the date on this, it was hushed up pretty good given the timing before the official reintroduction.

If only ranchers and everyone on the western slope had raised these issues before...Oh wait, they did, and were told to shut up and take meager re-payments that don't come close to covering losses. They were told 'you chose to live there, you can handle it, so what if they take a calf here and there? You're a rich lazy rancher on acreage, you can afford to lose an animal or two to help balance the ecosystem.'

I think the hardest part of wolves is the inability to manage them. Here in WI and neighboring MN they have devastated deer herds in the north. Then they start killing everything else they can catch. Being able to hunt them would help but they are incredibly adept at avoiding hunters. Hunters aren't capable of killing enough each year. With bears they have 1 or 2 offspring and can be hunted fairly easily. A wolf has 5-8 offspring times however many females in the pack. They multiply uncontrollably. I hunt idaho yearly. They have unlimited hunting of wolves there and can't put a dent in them. The biologist that is stationed by my cabin estimates that wolf numbers are 3-4 times the counts that get posted.

These hacks think, “ That would be cool to see a wolf”….Its as simple as that.

This is something that I noticed in the release video. I only saw 1 or 2 clowns that looked happy to be doing what they were doing. The rest of the CPW looked like they knew it was mistake.

@Loo.wii I too have a genuine question/observation then. I see "EO Hire" on your posts. I assume Equal Opportunity Hire, in an effort to better understand where you're coming from what does that mean? You support, awarded a position, etc. I don't believe for one second you are genuine. I do believe you know exactly what you're up to.
that is more of a joke. its my rokslide signature. but the subject of my original post is 110% serious. to further elaborate its more of a commentary touching on the fact that i am the only haitian born immigrant i know who enjoys hiking into remote areas and suffering in the woods.

Last edited:
This is something that I noticed in the release video. I only saw 1 or 2 clowns that looked happy to be doing what they were doing. The rest of the CPW looked like they knew it was mistake.

Yep, CPW employees are legally bound, to not be able to express or share their opinions about the introduction.

Took the time to read through the entire thread and OP is just trolling.
some of the comments are me trolling but broadly speaking i am 100% honest in my post. I don't see (re)introduction as totally bad. i want different perspectives and there a a few folks who have given me serious answers that i will look more into as i develop my perspective.

Yep, CPW employees are legally bound, to not be able to express or share their opinions about the introduction.
This is one of the wildest things to me, they are doing the same with Lion/bobcat ban. So you are telling me there is a group of biologist who spend their whole career, managing/studying these things?! Awesome they should make the rules/ be allowed to speak intelligently on them.

Enter the uniparty in Co, said party of of science and intelligence: ummm the experts aren’t allowed to speak about this, but here is an op-ed by Ruth-Anne from boulder who really likes kittens… she had 12 of them and frequently wears sweaters with cats on them, trust her she is 73 years old and knows better than wildlife biologists

I like wolves, and don’t mind taking a trip to Yellowstone just to look at them. I was under the impression the grizzly is the king of the hill predator, but you can watch grizzlies get run off dead buffalo every morning when the wolves get there - make no mistake, wolves are the best big game killer we have.

It doesn’t take a scientific study, or even a conversation with an expert on the impact of wolves - in one day I was shocked to see for myself the difference in elk behavior pre wolves vs 20 years post wolves. You don’t have to take my word for it, wait a few decades and the type of Colorado elk hunting you like today will be drastically changed. Gone are the days of going to Yellowstone to watch elk.

Elk keep to the timber a lot more, so all the elk walking around Rocky Mountain National Park will be a thing of the past - Estes will still have elk around town because wolves won’t go there.

Each wolf will kill at least two dozen elk a year. The “official” number is about 20 elk, but that doesn’t account for killing more than they can eat. It’s silly to think they only kill enough to eat - given the opportunity they are no different from a dog that gets a rush out of chasing livestock.

Colorado is a big state with a lot of elk - unchecked what would be the wolf population? That number multiplied by two dozen less elk per wolf is a big number.

Back