I don’t like my bow

Beendare

WKR
I’ve bought my second used compound now….I literally stole them- good price. Obviously these guys didn’t like them.

The first bow - RealmX- was so far out of tune- I was shocked. Cams rolling over completely off and way out of tune. Loud as heck on the first shot. I could feel the mushy cams at FD….and it was loud as heck. That bow now tuned is fast and smooth- good shooter.

Same with the bow I got a couple weeks ago-out of whack though not as far off as the first.

Its no wonder these guys sold these bows..,they shot like crap that far out of tune.
There are some diamonds in the rough out there…..grin

Forfarj

FNG
I feel ya! Picked up a Bowtech SR350 on the cheap and when I first drew it back and fired, it felt like an old flintlock muzzleloader “click, wait, boom!” Checked the modules and draw drop and they were mismatched. Adjusted them and next shot was so crisp and pure that I fell in love…lol

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
First clue is no marks on the cams [at perfect tune]

Two things become obvious.....there seems to be a lot of bows out there not set up right...and a guy can get a deal on them. Mine is a 2022 model, half off.

Just saying- If you have a bow you don't like...it might be worth tuning it before dumping it for a new model.

JF_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve bought my second used compound now….I literally stole them- good price. Obviously these guys didn’t like them.

The first bow - RealmX- was so far out of tune- I was shocked. Cams rolling over completely off and way out of tune. Loud as heck on the first shot. I could feel the mushy cams at FD….and it was loud as heck. That bow now tuned is fast and smooth- good shooter.

Same with the bow I got a couple weeks ago-out of whack though not as far off as the first.

Its no wonder these guys sold these bows..,they shot like crap that far out of tune.
There are some diamonds in the rough out there…..grin

So do we have to guess what the 2nd bow is?

Cliffy65

Lil-Rokslider
Same. Picked up a 2 dirt cheap bows, both new guys swapping out their own strings. Not even close.

DooleyVT

Lil-Rokslider
Shot TAC with a friend of a friend last year and he had a new Mathews V3 31and he said that he hated it and was going to sell it cheap to get something new before the upcoming archery season. I was surprised because I have the same bow and love it. On the first target I noticed that his draw length was about 3” too long. At the end of the day I convinced him to give me the bow to “fix” for him before he sells it. Come to find out not only was his draw way too long but he had a 29” 60lb 80% mod one cam and a 29.5 70lb 85% mod on the other. And I assume there’s someone else out there that hates their bow too because they have the other unmatched set of mods on it.

Last edited:
OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
Hopefully these stories help some of the guys that don’t like their bows.

Instead of selling…BH tune it…and/or get some shooting form instruction…thats way cheaper in the long run.

nphunter

WKR
Hopefully these stories help some of the guys that don’t like their bows.

Instead of selling…BH tune it…and/or get some shooting form instruction…thats way cheaper in the long run.
I think a lot of shops don’t send people out the door with bows setup correctly and defiantly send them out with bows that don’t fit.

Not all shops but I know of one popular shop here locally that I’ve seen a pile of people walk out of with bow that were way to long of draw and way to much draw length. Guys drawing at the sky and then anchoring behind their head if at all.

It’s unreal, I’ve seen new carbon bows shooting with a 3/4” high nocking point. I’m sure someone just kept moving stuff until it shot through paper.

Personally I’ll never buy another new bow again, unless something comes out I just can’t live without. I’m shooting a 2023 Mach 34 that I paid 50% of new for and doesn’t have a single scratch on it. I built a custom out of it and sold all the original parts for close to new cost and got almost all of my money back.

I bought a used Prime Rival for a backup bow off AT (Archery Talk) to my Prime Rival I bought new. It came with the factory strings in a package and a set of supposed good quality after-market "custom" strings installed. It was so far out of tune with the after-market strings I just took 'em off and installed the factory set which were like new. Bingo...perfect tune. I shoot it and the the Rival I bought new and can't tell the difference if t wasn't for slightly different shade of Sitka camo.

I've only needed a backup bow three times in over 50 years of backcountry bowhunting, but it sure is nice to have a backup ready to go, just add arrows to the quiver and go hunt!

TheTone

WKR
I shot a hoyt alphamax at a shop when they first came out and really disliked it; just weird feel and a stiff draw. Ended up shooting one again a couple months later at a different shop and was so impressed I bought it that day. Shot that bow for close to a decade and still regret selling it. Only thing I ever figured is the first one I shot was way out of time/tune and the shop was pushing other brands heavily at the time

CaliforniaMuley209

Lil-Rokslider
Finding a good bow shop is tough these days. Bought a new bow this year for the first time in about 10 years. Had to “ remind “ them how to tune. Guys get lazy and send bows out the door after slapping them together without even caring.

Not all shops but I know of one popular shop here locally that I’ve seen a pile of people walk out of with bow that were way to long of draw and way to much draw length. Guys drawing at the sky and then anchoring behind their head if at all.
Is it kind of a chain - or there's more than one location? If so I'm not surprised. The one here sucks as well!

LostArra

WKR
Timely topic. I bought my first compound at 64yo and don't know much about tuning. Fortunately we have some excellent bow shops in the state. I need to get mine in for a tune up just so I know my bad shots are my bad shooting.

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
Finding a good bow shop is tough these days. Bought a new bow this year for the first time in about 10 years. Had to “ remind “ them how to tune. Guys get lazy and send bows out the door after slapping them together without even caring.
There are good shops. I know 3 different shops and their owners that are excellent.
They tell me part of the problem is customers don’t value tuning. If they tell a clients its going to cost them $50,$100- whatever it is to put their bow on a draw board, time the cams and dial it all in they balk.
Its rare for a guy to walk in and offer to pay for their time to tune a bow.

Sure, if you buy a new bow all that should be included….but some guys think that it includes tuning for the life of the bow for free. Car dealerships get thousands of dollars over the price of the vehicle for those 5 year service packages

Some shops would rather not spend the time…and/or give guys the bad news its going to cost them to tune And quick fix them out the door- not good.
Learning to tune is not hard…and the knowing your bow in the process is a good thing.

CaliforniaMuley209

Lil-Rokslider
There are good shops. I know 3 different shops and their owners that are excellent.
They tell me part of the problem is customers don’t value tuning. If they tell a clients its going to cost them $50,$100- whatever it is to put their bow on a draw board, time the cams and dial it all in they balk.
Its rare for a guy to walk in and offer to pay for their time to tune a bow.

Sure, if you buy a new bow all that should be included….but some guys think that it includes tuning for the life of the bow for free. Car dealerships get thousands of dollars over the price of the vehicle for those 5 year service packages

Some shops would rather not spend the time…and/or give guys the bad news its going to cost them to tune And quick fix them out the door- not good.
Learning to tune is not hard…and the knowing your bow in the process is a good thing.
You’re exactly right. And a lot of shops are excellent like you said. Sometimes details get looked over when purchasing a new bow. When you pay 2500 bucks for a full setup, that should include a basic tune. But it is up to the customer to know his / her bow as well.

MattB

WKR
I shot a hoyt alphamax at a shop when they first came out and really disliked it; just weird feel and a stiff draw. Ended up shooting one again a couple months later at a different shop and was so impressed I bought it that day. Shot that bow for close to a decade and still regret selling it. Only thing I ever figured is the first one I shot was way out of time/tune and the shop was pushing other brands heavily at the time
Based on comments I have seen on the internet over the years, I am convinced that some shops don’t time/synch/tune their demo bows and as a result customers end up having a less than optimal shooting experience. It was initially a head scratcher when guys would talk about the noise, vibration, or mushy back wall.