I did my own “death hike”…solo

My 2024 Death Hike Recap

For a couple of years now I’ve listened to the Exo guys talk about their death hikes. I’ve tried to convince friends and coworkers to complete one with me, but nobody was interested in self punishment or could justify taking their precious time off of work to do something of the sort just for “fun” (I don’t blame them, I’m fortunate to get more paid time off than most).

My original plan, one that my wife was okay with, was a multi-day trek through the Gila Wilderness. I was looking to do nearly 70 miles over the course of 3-4 days. However with a toddler and a pregnant wife being away from home without the potential to fill the freezer is a hard sell. So, my plan had to be reworked.

I wanted something that was going to be challenging but capable of being done in a single day, even if it was a long day.

I live in the Sacramento Mountains of Southern New Mexico so trails are easy to come by. I ultimately decided to hike from a place known as Oliver Lee State Park up to the Sunspot Solar Observatory and then into the town of Cloudcroft.

The route ended up being a touch over 32 miles and took me 13 hours, 4 minutes (10hrs 35min moving). I started at an elevation of 4400’ MSL and topped out at 9550’ MSL with a total elevation gain of 8806’.

Life and family obligations didn’t allow me to start the route until 9:30 when it was already 90+ degrees in the low country. Thankfully, once I got on top of the mountain, the outflows of storms that had been building brought in cool air, which greatly helped me keep a decent pace.

There is a 50k race that follows this exact route that is run in October where guys are knocking this out in sub 6 hours. No, I won’t be doing that. https://ultrasignup.com/register.aspx?did=108582

I guess my only reason to post this thread is to maybe encourage someone else to do something challenging.

KHNC

WKR
Me and my GF did a 28 miler with 28lbs on Memorial Day 3 years ago. Did it in SC with 85 deg temps. Took us 7hrs roughly. My feet and legs ached!!

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is awesome. I have a 28miler planned for this summer in the Cascades in WA. It was supposed to be this weekend but there is still feet of snow at my end point so I am pushing it off until August. I have done the real Death Hike twice and they are no joke. Its pretty cool to see what you're capable of when you get in a group setting of like minded folks.

images

OP
awcopeland
This is awesome. I have a 28miler planned for this summer in the Cascades in WA. It was supposed to be this weekend but there is still feet of snow at my end point so I am pushing it off until August. I have done the real Death Hike twice and they are no joke. It’s pretty cool to see what you're capable of when you get in a group setting of like minded folks.
I’m sure it’s a blessing and a curse to be with others on an adventure like this. For me, miles 9-16 were pretty bad. I took some advil and that helped a bunch until the sun went down and I was operating under head lamp. At that level of fatigue I started tripping at a way higher rate (I was also trying to move quickly). Luckily I didn’t get hurt but I’m not sure I’d recommend it.

knale87

Lil-Rokslider
Completed a 35 miler this past Saturday with one other guy. 16 hours and a little over 8k foot of elevation. This was my longest one. Always fun doing something hard.

My pregnant wife and I just did Havasu falls in Arizona. 12 miles first day. 14 the second, 7 the third and 10 the 4th. Add in the walking around camp and fractional miles and we did just about 50 while swimming in 60 degree water and waterfalls. It’s a hella awesome experience!

d2e6572687331a2bf21891bea899fcde.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
"death" hikes for the win :)

I find doing a few very difficult hikes/trips during the year really help during hunting season; not for reasons of fitness- a couple of hard hikes isn't going to make you fit, but mentally.

The few hikes/trips that really challenge, make my normal hunting trips feel relatively easy. When and if a hunt does turn very difficult, having already been in difficult situations prior lets you know that you can handle it.

I've mentioned this book before, but the Comfort Crisis (Michael Easter) is a worthwhile read.

OP
awcopeland
"death" hikes for the win :)

I find doing a few very difficult hikes/trips during the year really help during hunting season; not for reasons of fitness- a couple of hard hikes isn't going to make you fit, but mentally.

The few hikes/trips that really challenge, make my normal hunting trips feel relatively easy. When and if a hunt does turn very difficult, having already been in difficult situations prior lets you know that you can handle it.

I've mentioned this book before, but the Comfort Crisis (Michael Easter) is a worthwhile read.
100% agree. Long walks don’t equate to physical capacity, but definitely help the mental strengthening.

OP
awcopeland
My pregnant wife and I just did Havasu falls in Arizona. 12 miles first day. 14 the second, 7 the third and 10 the 4th. Add in the walking around camp and fractional miles and we did just about 50 while swimming in 60 degree water and waterfalls. It’s a hella awesome experience!

d2e6572687331a2bf21891bea899fcde.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Your wife is definitely a trooper doing that while pregnant. Sounds like you two enjoyed yourselves.

Hootey

FNG
my wife and i have been slowly planning to try to get down and do Havasu, looks absolutely beautiful