I bought a diamondback spotter, did i mess up?

OP
T
Not to be a negative Nancy, but I would. I used that spotter for about 30 minutes before deciding it just wasn’t the play.

Thanks. I’d rather send it back than it collect dust. And no point in carrying around 3lb in a pack that isn’t doing you a service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Thanks. I’d rather send it back than it collect dust. And no point in carrying around 3lb in a pack that isn’t doing you a service.

I got mine on a black ovis sale as well, tripod and spotter set. I’d just return it, save or sell something and get some glass that you’ll enjoy using and owning.

trpatt30

FNG
I know some guys like Vortex but I didn’t have a good experience with their products. I returned the next day.

4th_point

WKR
Currently, I own a Celestron Ultima 80. It’s huge, it’s heavy, and it’s.. mediocre.

On my Christmas list was a Hawke nature trek 13-39.

Anyway, when the sale went live, I couldn’t help but grab a diamondback 16-48.

Is the diamondback that bad?
The comments might seem harsh, but that DB was the worst scope that I have looked through in 18 months of buying/selling/trying various makes and models including a $200 scope on Amazon. I thought that the Ares/CX was bad, but it's shameful that Vortex let that DB that I tried escape the factory.

That stated, you might have a decent sample in that DB! I'd spend some time comparing what you got to learn as much as you can.

How does that DB compare to your 80? You probably know what that 80 can and can't do, right?

I have not used that Nature Trek but do have the 50mm Endurance. It's actually not too bad. But I have several other scopes to choose from so it's more of a beater/range scope for the kids.

Report back with your findings on the DB vs 80. It may help with your next purchase.

And have fun with it all. Don't get too attached to opinions until you wrap your head around what is important to you.

OP
T
Do you believe in fat shaming? If you do, then yes you are being glass shamed.

The clarity of the diamondback isn't worth the benefit they bring to a hunt, IMO. You are MUCH better off buying a pair of cheap 12, 15 or 18x bino for the same money than a cheap spotter, IMO. Cheap spotters have bad glass and unless you are a pirate with one eye, you'll appreciate a bino much more. Your brain resolves detail better with two images.

It is technically easier to make smaller glass more clear than larger glass. And, if the glass is the same, think of how thick the spotter lens is and you can see how a smaller optic with the same quality glass will actually be clearer for the magnification. If you have to double the thickness you are doubling the amount of crap and distortion in cheap glass.

And, 15x is plenty to glass out further than you will ever want to walk, especially if you aren't a trophy hunter judging game. Lots of AZ hunters who glass really hard run a 10x on the chest and an 15/18 in the pack. Both get run off the tripod, but the big bino always does. Many have spotters that get left in the truck or at home.

I NEVER advise anyone to buy a spotter unless they want to spend at least $1300 or so for a used one that normally retails for close to $2000.

Its not that they are completely worthless, it is just that you can do much more with your money and have a bigger and better impact on your hunt. After going to the range or a hunt with friends with Diamondback, Viper, and ever Razor spotters, they usually see why they could change their optics set up.

Quality over quantity. One pair of clear 10x or 12x is better than two pair of lower quality glass. I have a buddy that runs 10x swaro cause that is what he bought, and doesn't want to spend the money to get bigger optics with the same clarity.

If you don't want binos, then put the money towards a better rifle scope. Don't "glass" with it, but I don't think there is anything wrong with using the 25x power to look at an elk. You won't be pointing your rifle at hunters across the canyon randomly looking for animals.

That's my two cents on the matter.

After stewing on this overnight, I’m liking it more and more. Do you have any input on a pair of 15 or 18 binos in the price range of the spotter? (3-400)? This might be the way I go. I’m not trying to pick out a 180vs170 class mule deer. I’m trying to tell buck or doe, or dink or decent, before I walk over there. Sometimes that added power is nice when picking apart a thicker area though, so I’d like to have more than just my 10x (my 10s are vipers)

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Watch for a pair of these (or Match Pro $$$) you can get them used in your price range for about $350.)

Burris has a good warranty if that worries you buying used.

Watch for a pair of these (or Match Pro $$$) you can get them used in your price range for about $350.)

Burris has a good warranty if that worries you buying used.

Beat me to it! This is PRECISELY what I purchased used ( for $350 no less ). Arrived in great shape. Use them at the range with a tabletop tripod to spot .223 bullet splatters on steel at 500 yards for scope adjustments. Very happy with them. They`re big and heavy, so for use for hunting you`d need a chest harness IMO.

Last edited:

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Beat me to it! This is PRECISELY what I purchased used ( for $350 no less ). Arrived in great shape. Use them at the range with a tabletop tripod to spot .223 bullet splatters on steel at 500 yards for scope adjustments. Very happy with them. They`re big and heavy, so for use for hunting you`d need a chest harness.
No chest harness for me. The big binos go from pack to tripod. I wear my 10s.

OP
T
f832e6459077d70f1ec206c46b8cc8a9.jpg
let the comparison begin!

Marshfly

WKR
I have a mountainside that I watch elk on all winter. With my old Diamondback a lot of times I could not discern cows(beef) from elk at 3 miles. Only could tell a bull if the antlers were skylined. In front of terrain, not a chance. In the trees they were invisible. With the Kowa I can tell if a bull would be a shooter, even under the trees.

But now you have it and can determine for yourself. Make sure to use it at dusk and in cloudy weather.

Phone pics do not come even remotely close to showing the true clarity of an optic. Here is 1200 yards from my Kowa 77. For glassing, at 1000 yards, I'm using binos on a tripod.
IMG_4747.jpeg

Marshfly

WKR
Another option that doesn't get mentioned a lot is the Nikon ED-50. I bought this grey market on eBay from a Japanese seller last winter. I have the zoom and straight 27x eyepieces. In the field, this gets carried almost always and used a ton. Very affordable and the glass is absolutely excellent. You can be into this for about $400 I think. The 27x eyepiece gets used most as the FOV is super wide and that is plenty for most uses with a 50mm objective.

If you want a budget friendly scope that is of better quality than the diamondback check out the vanguard endeavor hd scopes. They punch above their price point in my opinion.

4th_point

WKR
Another option that doesn't get mentioned a lot is the Nikon ED-50.
+1

I have owned two and they are great for shorter distances. And "just in case" as they are so dang light and compact there's no reason not to bring one if already carrying a tripod for binocs.

4th_point

WKR
I have a mountainside that I watch elk on all winter. With my old Diamondback a lot of times I could not discern cows(beef) from elk at 3 miles. Only could tell a bull if the antlers were skylined. In front of terrain, not a chance. In the trees they were invisible. With the Kowa I can tell if a bull would be a shooter, even under the trees.
This example paints a great picture of what you can and can't accomplish with different optics, for that scenario.

Last year a friend and I had several compacts, a midsize Vortex, and my 82mm out for comparison. He found a deer at 3.4 miles with a 50mm, which in itself was pretty remarkable, but couldn't tell if it was a buck. The only scope that could resolve fine details at that distance was my 82mm.

There are lots of used scopes that would be a huge upgrade in that same price range or less. Some I would watch for in the classifieds or that auction site are ; Bausch &Lomb Elite 15-45, Leupold Gold ring 12-40 ,The Nikon already mentioned above and Kowa 663.