I am sure this has been asked a ton. What is your arrow weight

Luked

WKR
I build all of my own arrows all the time, Pretty much do all of my own work and tuning.
This past year I built my arrows like normal and they were 510 grain.
I shoot Gold Tip Hunter XT
This has been a 3 fletch, with 3" vanes, Q2I is what i have been shooting
at the front I have a 100gr head, normal alum insert and 100 gr worth of insert weight.
with my arrow length ( which i cant remember right off) this puts me right at 510gr.

This year i am thinking of taking 50gr worth of insert out just to get a little better trajectory on some longer shots.
Now I have hunted and been in the archery game long enough to know this will be enough arrow with a fixed head like I have always shot. But im thinking about shooting something like a Sevr this year. Never shot them before.
With an arrow in the 460-470gr area do you all think I would have any issues with penetration or the Sevr deploying?
Thought I would give this set up a try this year on Whitetail here and see how it does. I know thats a big difference to an Elk but wanted some of your alls opinions.

Shooting a Mach 1 at 30" Draw #70.6
FMJ 5mm 495.6 grains
286 FPS

With your arrow set up you would have no problem with penetration. As long at your hitting animals in good spots they are going to die..... Good shot placement = dead animal.

Bump79

WKR
What are your specs? FPS with that 510 grain arrow.

For what it's worth I shot an elk twice last year with a Sevr 1.5 at 25 & again at 70 yds, 445 grain @ 294 fps. Neither got a pass through. Which was surprising to me. To me a pass through isn't critical but preferred.

For me the mechanical will go back to being a follow up shot head on elk. And it will be a larger cut - maybe a Hybrid like an Evolution or Crimson Talon Cleaver. If I have a follow up shot I mainly want it to cause damage and fly well.

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
I am not sure on my FPS with the arrow i have now as I dont have a chrono.

dplumlee12

Lil-Rokslider
Testing 500gn 4mm Easton now, getting 250fps. Research shows that is fast enough but may want to shed some grains to get a little more speed.

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
BH I have shot the last few years and had really good luck with is the Slick Trick Vipertrick.
Have heard quite a bit of talking about the Sevr being a good head and like the Idea of the larger cutting area is why I was looking at those.

nphunter

WKR
I would think you will be fine, not all shots are pass through shots regardless of head. I’ve shot several expandables through elk with a 500gr arrow at 275-280fps. I took a follow up shot on a six point bull at 90 yards with a Trypan and blew right through him.
I’m pretty happy with my current setup but my main reason for going heavy was that OR and ID didn’t allow mechanical heads so I built arrows that were slower and more forgiving to fixed heads. Now that both states allow mechanicals I think my next arrows will be a little lighter, I’ve got a couple dozen now so it will be a while for me.

aachey

Lil-Rokslider
With you setup and shooting whitetails, you shouldn't have any issues with deployment. I originally had my Vertix at 29" 60 lbs and was getting pass through on does with the 2.0 around 20 yard shots for reference. In my opinion 440-475 grains and 275-290 fps is a nice happy medium of arrow weight and trajectory. As always shot placement is key, shoulder shots can be unpredictable with any broadhead or arrow setup. I've been at 29 " 70lbs and 450 grain arrow for three years and haven't had any issues with my spitfires or sevr's. In fact I bought some 1.5 TI's last year for my elk hunt with the intended use of a further follow up shot, if needed.

Personally I really haven't liked what I have seen out of Sevr 2.0 and 2.1. If anything, I'd use the 1.5, and at that point, why use an expandable?

I'm not a mech hater, I actually really like them. Just not using my Sevrs anymore but for thinning does.

I tend to use lighter arrows than most, and don't have a long draw, 28.75 on a hunting bow.

The old spitfire head has been my standby, but they haven't been the same quality past few years now. I still have a bunch of the original, pre-China manufacture. Been playing with Grim Reapers, but not one way or another on them yet. I have had zero reservations with Spitfire on elk with 400ish gr shafts, but that's me. My experience with Sevrs I had pass thrus, but arrow just laying on the ground behind deer. I'm use to a shaft being buried 5-10" in the dirt behind the animal, even with elk.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Personally I really haven't liked what I have seen out of Sevr 2.0 and 2.1. If anything, I'd use the 1.5, and at that point, why use an expandable?
I didn't like the 1.5". "IF" I ever tried them again, I'd try the 2.1". But I agree......at only 1.5" why bother with a mechanical.

I didn't like the 1.5". "IF" I ever tried them again, I'd try the 2.1". But I agree......at only 1.5" why bother with a mechanical.

The 2.1 has too much of the blade obscured by the deployment tabs. The 2.0 improves on it.

Also have gotten to where I want 3 blades or if 2 I want a bleeder.

They fly great, no complaints there.

mikeafeagin22

Lil-Rokslider
For what it's worth I shot an elk twice last year with a Sevr 1.5 at 25 & again at 70 yds, 445 grain @ 294 fps. Neither got a pass through. Which was surprising to me. To me a pass through isn't critical but preferred.
I think there’s so many factors that it’s hard to pin it just on the broadhead on whether you got a pass through or not. I had a 1.5 zip through an elk quartering away at 92 yards on a follow up last year and it center punched a rib going in. Busted right through it, went out the other side just behind the offside shoulder. Then later last year I hit a whitetail doe here in Tennessee a little far forward with a QAD exodus, which I think is the best 3 blade you can get personally, and didn’t get a full pass through. Same bow, same arrow. 524 grains at 282 fps. The doe was on edge and jumped the string on me so that could have a lot to do with it too

Bump79

WKR
I think there’s so many factors that it’s hard to pin it just on the broadhead on whether you got a pass through or not. I had a 1.5 zip through an elk quartering away at 92 yards on a follow up last year and it center punched a rib going in. Busted right through it, went out the other side just behind the offside shoulder. Then later last year I hit a whitetail doe here in Tennessee a little far forward with a QAD exodus, which I think is the best 3 blade you can get personally, and didn’t get a full pass through. Same bow, same arrow. 524 grains at 282 fps. The doe was on edge and jumped the string on me so that could have a lot to do with it too
I agree, that's why I said for what it's worth. All things equal though a fixed will penetrate better. It depends on what you want.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I think there’s so many factors that it’s hard to pin it just on the broadhead on whether you got a pass through or not.
Ya, with the 1.5" I shot a bull at 54 yards quartering away. It blew right through and then blasted right through the humerus bone as well, and landed in the grass about 20 yards behind the bull. Then a couple years ago, I shot a bull moose here in CO slightly quartering away. Hit a rib going in and one going out......but that 520gr arrow at 296fps with a 125gr Exodus swept blade head still didn't fully exit the bull.

Beendare

WKR
I agree, that's why I said for what it's worth. All things equal though a fixed will penetrate better. It depends on what you want.
I don’t think you can make a blanket statement like that.

I’ve seen poor penetration from the short wide chisel point fixed heads…… my bet is that some of the slip cam Mech heads will penetrate a little bit better.

There is no contest when comparing to Two blades or the tapered design cut on contact fixed heads…. those crush every other design when it comes to penetration.

In other words….if its a head design that slides in vs chopping in…its going to penetrate better.

Last edited:
I don’t have all your specs as far as what the arrow was cut at, but with your draw length and poundage I bet you’ll have better penetration results by dropping the weight up front. Higher FOC = finicky tuning. So often the arrow flight and stability is left out of the penetration discussion