Hypothetical question:

Jmort1754

WKR
Professional interview- such as med school or other post grad school.

Are you wearing navy blue with brown shoes or charcoal grey with black?

Ucsdryder

WKR
Either one will work. Just don’t do something stupid like a bow tie, super thin tie or pants that are 3” short so your ankles are showing. I like a blue suit with matching brown shoes and belt. Bring it all together with a nice tie with some blue in it. I think the blue looks “sharper” than the gray. I used to wear suits or slacks and a sport coat every day for 18 years. Now it’s flip flops and muscle tanks. 😂

Good luck on the interview!

waspocrew

WKR
I went with a blue suit (not quite navy, but close) and brown belt/shoes for my residency/fellowship interviews. I was definitely the odd man out. I loved it. Everyone else was black or gray suits.

Go crush the interview!

Last edited:

Rich M

WKR
Most of the engineers I see wear gray & black for presentations and the real serious groups wear matching suits (his & hers).

A more casual meeting is blue coat and tan pants/brown shoes.

intunegp

WKR
Either one will work. Just don’t do something stupid like a bow tie, super thin tie or pants that are 3” short so your ankles are showing. I like a blue suit with matching brown shoes and belt. Bring it all together with a nice tie with some blue in it. I think the blue looks “sharper” than the gray. I used to wear suits or slacks and a sport coat every day for 18 years. Now it’s flip flops and muscle tanks. 😂

Good luck on the interview!

I personally wouldn't wear a bow tie, super thin tie, or high-water pants, but what is "in" as far as clothing and styling changes like the breeze.

If the interview team is going to be a bunch of sub-30 year old hot shots with expensive degrees maybe showing some ankle and your cutesie graphic socks would give you the edge over someone wearing grandpa's wool suit and bowler hat.

I like a dark grey suit, black belt, black shoes. Wear a tie with some blue, green, red, or a light brown in it for the color difference. I have two suits I wear to church, funerals, and weddings. One is “taupe” which I have no idea what color that really is so I’ll call it gray. The other is darker but it’s not black.

I've been out of the suit game for a long time. However, if it were me, I'd go with navy suit, lighter blue shirt, and a bold tie for contrast. Bold in color, not crazy pattern. Brown or cordovan belt and shoes. I HATE the floods and fancy sock look. However, I would go without pleated pants and a more athletic fit if you can pull it off vs. the traditional pleats and loose fit.

Brown boots.

I dislike dress shoes, and don't care for black boots.

Even with a black suit, I wear brown boots. And get compliments.

Hat745

FNG
've been out of the suit game for a long time. However, if it were me, I'd go with navy suit, lighter blue shirt, and a bold tie for contrast. Bold in color, not crazy pattern. Brown or cordovan belt and shoes.

Blue suit, brown cowboy boots (fancy lookin’ kind), brown belt to match. White undershirt + seasonal colored tie. Example: it's nearly fall, I'd personally rock a wool tie in a subtle plaid pattern.

Last edited: