Hydration

cck

FNG
What hydration powder mix is everybody using in the backcountry? I’ve used Nuun for the past few years, but have heard good things about MtnOps and a few others, curious if anybody has any opinions.

I like nuun pretty basic but good! Tailwind and/or scratch labs is another two I’ve preferred. Low sugar high electrolytes depending on product of course!

Randle

WKR
Liquid IV daily , then Liquid IV with energy boost as needed
Its too sweet but I just dilute it to taste

Lastnline75

Lil-Rokslider
Check out Protekt's. Small liquid pouch mixed with a bottle of water and taste like salty watermelon.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have been using Wilderness Athlete Hydrate and Recover. I just ordered more last week, and got 25% off using code "SUMMER23". I think new customers get a 25% discount off their first order also.

I am currently in the desert now. Hasn’t dropped below 113 in the last few weeks.

I hands down prefer Drip Drop. Liquid IV would be a second choice.

The Australians love Berroca tables. I have used them in sweltering heat, they help folks bounce back after they get assed out and bonk. Also help if you indulge in a couple too many beers the evening before.

Something I haven’t tried, but is the new hype, is adding Himalayan salt to your water.

Store bought Gatorade.
Add salt if it's particularly hot out/I plan to sweat alot. (Or just pick up an endurance formulation with added salt).

JakeSCH

WKR
LMNT: No Sugar
Liquid IV: Sugar

I have used MNT OPS, Wilderness Athlete, and ZipFizz in the past with good results. Though I usually buy what is on sale.

For energy, I've used Celsuis or MNT OPS Ignite.

+1 for LMNT. Better formulation, no sugar. It's a touch too salty and a 16.9 oz bottle, but in a 32 oz Nalgene it's absolutely perfect.

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
What hydration powder mix is everybody using in the backcountry? I’ve used Nuun for the past few years, but have heard good things about MtnOps and a few others, curious if anybody has any opinions.
I have been really paying close attention to these hydration mixes this year with my marathon/ultra marathon training because what i am using to supplement now, I would like to take into the backcountry this fall. I have found that not all hydration mixes are nearly the same and some I dont think you are getting enough bang for your buck.

There is a real common misconception with sodium. Yes, the typical american diet with hardly any exercise does not need extra salt. But a clean diet with consistent exercise (especially when your seating a ton) a lot of people fall short on sodium intake (not to mention all the other electrolytes too i.e. potassium , calcium, magnesium).

Some brands "claim" hydration but if it only supplementing you with 100mg of sodium, thats not enough. LMNT is getting very popular because they come in 1000mg servings. I would say anything in the 300mg-500mg range minimum would be worth spending the money if its a decent price. Nuun, Pedialyte Sport, and Liquid IV packets I think are all good options

I have been using propel packs for years. I think I have stuck with it bc it's cheap and you can buy it anywhere. Starting to wonder if it's time to expand my horizons and try something more modern.

Anyone have thoughts or data on propel vs all this new stuff?

My wife and I like the flavor of the GU tabs over the NUUN tabs. No observed difference in outcomes, so my opinion is based on taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
Pedialyte, when I feel it is necessary to have something other than just water...plus xtra salt in diet.

Nuun good.

Used wilderness athlete last year. Liked it

Mtn Ops has some too

Depends on how picky you are on flavor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been using liquid IV just because I can get it at Costco. I have 1 per day at most. They’re good for you only in moderation.