Hydration system for cold weather

I typically use a bladder system, but am tired of it freezing up when below 20 degrees. While doing the 75 Hard program, I had it freeze up during my workouts at 10 degrees down to -12 even if I blew the water back into the bladder and put the bite valve in my jacket. I have had to take the bladder out and drink straight out of the lid on hunts at 20 degrees and colder.

I don't know how cold it will be on my late October goat hunt, but running out of water in the alpine is not an option. What types of systems do you run to be sure your drinking water does not freeze if the temps go negative on a backpack hunt?

Seeknelk

WKR
I use a hot tent and water bottles. I bury them in my pack under puffy layers. Make triple sure the lids are secure!
But I'm not up hunting goats either. Actually, I've seen goats lower than the deer often so maybe I am sometimes.🙂
But I'm all for new tricks also. At certain temps it's just a struggle. Might have to heat a cup up and dump it back in a freezing bottle if you have a stove with even. Maybe some down koozies and start with warmed up water if it's that bad?
I'll often start with the bladder and keep it ice free as long as possible cuz digging the bottles out sucks and wasted time. I tuck the hose under a layer best I can and blow the water back like you said but sometimes the heat from your back isn't enough to keep the bladder itself from freezing.
Interested to hear what others do.

SonnyDay

WKR
Quart nalgenes in insulated covers. One goes on my pack belt so it’s accessible. Another one or two (depending on the day) go in my pack inside of puffys and such. Starting with warm water also helps.

Another thing to remember is most filters won’t work on water that’s close to freezing—especially if the air temp is freezing or below. And you can damage the filter element by freezing it.

The good news is if it’s that cold in the mountains you’re going to be melting snow for water. Be sure to plan for that in terms of fuel. And bring a snow sack to store snow in your tent so you don’t have to keep going outside for more. It takes a lot of snow to make a quart of water!

And don’t let anyone piss where you’re mining snow for water!

I use the CamelBak system, and blow the water back into the bladder after drinking through the tube. Maybe put a disposable hand warmer or two in the CamelBak carrier? One down by the bladder/hose connection and one at the area between the bladder and your back. It should last a couple hours. I never tried it, but it may help.

OP
cornstalker
Thank you for the replies.

I haven't tried blowing the water back out of the hose, then popping the bite valve off the QD and putting it in an inside jacket pocket.

I may carry a small vacuum bottle as an emergency backup when I test that.

I also ordered the HydraPak Hydrafusion hose to try. I don't have very high hopes after seeing it in person.

Gotcha_

FNG
Nalgene & Steripen: When it's that cold, I always bring a way to boil water for a hot meal in the evening, which helps with staying warm overnight. Nalgenes can handle hot water, so in the morning, I fill one up, and it stays melted throughout the day. As I drink, I add snow to the bottle mid-morning to keep it filled. If you're using fresh water and a Steripen, USE THIS, make sure to fill the bottle using the wide-mouth opening to avoid contamination, and then drink through the smaller mouth. In the evening, you can boil water to put in your sleeping bag for added warmth. An HDPE Nalgene weighs just 3.75 oz, which is lighter than a Camelbak. I also carry a Katadyn BeFree for quick filtering into the Nalgene during the day.

It's a win all around.

TaperPin

WKR
This post brought up images of rock hard frozen boots first thing in the morning. Lol

Nalgene bottles, whisper light stove and a big bottle of gasoline is my cold weather go to.

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not a fan of bladders in freezing temperatures. Even if you blow the water back into the bladder, the bit valves often freeze. Nalgene or stainless steel bottles are easier to keep from freezing. Carry them upside down so they freeze from the bottom up. You can throw one into sleeping bag/quilt to keep it from freezing or warm it fast with a fire or stove. Just about any filter you use can freeze so I do carry a Steri-pen.

EdP

WKR
I have qt water bottles insulated with 1/2" EVA foam on the sides, bottom, and top. Cut the foam to size and duct tape in place. If you put warm water in the bottle it will keep it from freezing for a long time. I'm not a bladder user in any conditions.

Poser

WKR
I'm not a fan of drinking from bladders so I use a water bottle when backpacking/hiking/hunting etc.
Unless its artic out, I just place the bottle in my pack or similar at night.
That being said, I do use a bladder for backcountry skiing because I don't end up drinking enough water using a bottle: too much risk for dropping the bottle or a ski pole and it sliding downhill. I use this insulated HydraPak bladder and hose: https://hydrapak.com/products/hydra...LdjCyH_ThE2boEwaE4jhCl&variant=31634639945818

If you want to use a bladder when its cold, this one works particularly well and has never frozen up on me.