Hydration Insulation?

jenkinsd

FNG
I have notice for sometime now there's not much out there to insulate your water bottles, bladders and what ever you use to carry water. I've gone on many hunting websites and there is nothing. I've emailed a couple of them with no response. You watch tv and video's hunting in -32F and again you see nothing to keep your water from freezing. What do you think?
Happy Trails

I hunted last year when the temps were 95+, and my first swig or two out of my bladder was piss warm and then I'd get a little cold water at the end, and my bladder water was getting pretty warm by midday.

Decided that before my next warm weather hunt, I was going to buy a neoprene hose insulator, and I also found neoprene bladder insulators on Etsy for like $15..

From my experience unless you make use of an external heat source (fire, hand warmers etc) you are the only source of heat to keep it from freezing. If you use something insulated it also insulates it from you.

WCB

WKR
Unless you can keep it against your body it really wont help to insulate it especially on overnights. heating by a wood stove or sleeping with it in your bag is the only way I have kept water liquid in extreme low temps.
I hunted last year when the temps were 95+, and my first swig or two out of my bladder was piss warm and then I'd get a little cold water at the end, and my bladder water was getting pretty warm by midday.

Decided that before my next warm weather hunt, I was going to buy a neoprene hose insulator, and I also found neoprene bladder insulators on Etsy for like $15..
Maybe you did this but once your done drinking blow the water back down your hose into the bladder. Works well in freezing weather also to keep from getting a solid frozen line. Even with an neoprene hose insulator on mine water still gets warm in the hose. not as bad but waking up after a nap to piss warm water sucks.

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
I wrap my 1.5l nalgene bottles in closed cell foam, the thin stuff from army surplus store. It has kept my bottles from freezing in my pack while being in -20 from dawn to dark. As for warm temps I just deal with drinking warm water

Maybe you did this but once your done drinking blow the water back down your hose into the bladder. Works well in freezing weather also to keep from getting a solid frozen line. Even with an neoprene hose insulator on mine water still gets warm in the hose. not as bad but waking up after a nap to piss warm water sucks.

I didn't do that.. good trick to know!

Poser

WKR
I have a Hydrapak winter bladder that is fully insulated with a very insulated, oversized hose and over sized valve that does not have a 90 degree bend in it. I use it for backcountry skiing with temps sometimes well below zero without issue, though I’m always starting from the truck and I keep most of the hose tucked into my backpack strap when it’s really cold out.

I do have a neoprene sleeve on my titanium water bottle that I use hunting and have not had any issue, though I am in SW CO and not Montana so there’s that. I do store my bladders and bottles inside of my pack overnight. -never had more than minor issues there.

nowen22

FNG
I know that Geigerrig makes some insulated bladders. A couple of friends have used them with good results with water not freezing overnight during late season hunts