Hydration Bladder Recommendations

BKhunter

WKR
Hey All,

Anyone have recommendations on the bladders they like to run. I ran a Nalgene on my hip for years but like the idea of just reaching for the hose while I am on the move. Was looking at the camel back milspec but would like to hear what others have used and like.

BK

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
BK, have you seen the Hardside Hydration system? Sounds exactly like what your looking for.

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk

I use the Camelbak system. It has the rubber insulation on the hose to prevent freezing, but in real cold weather, it still froze. I learned (after reading somewhere), that after drinking from the tube, blow the water (Gatorade, etc), back into the bladder. That way there is no liquid in the tube to freeze. Works perfectly if I remember to do it.

I try not to run them because they get tired, but we all use Platypus and haven't had any issues. If you're in the single digits you've got to remember to blow air back through the tube so it doesn't freeze. We have neoprene insulated tubes but they'll still freeze PDQ if you don't. Usually the bladder being close to your back in the pack won't freeze, but I've also a few times put a handwarmer in there as well.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I don’t care for them in general, but hydrapak force is a really robust bladder, and has an insulated tube. It’s been far better than any other I’ve used.

I only use the Platypus 2L and 3L bladders. Pretty much bomb proof if you keep them clean and dry them out after your hunting trip. I've had no issues using them during cold weather, as I use an insulated sleeve for the drink tube and bladder. Highly recommend.

twall13

WKR
I stopped using bladders for the most part several years ago. Before I stopped using them my favorite by a landslide was the Source Tactical Bladders. Never leaked on me and didn't give the rubbery taste that so many bladders have. I also had it rigged up to direct connect to my Sawyer gravity filter so I could refill it without removing it from the pack. It worked pretty slick, I just hated never knowing how much water I had, issues in the cold, and I honestly get tired of sucking through a straw. I figured if I was going to bring a Nalgene regardless I might as well skip the bladder altogether. They can be handy though.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bladders have been a love hate for me but the platypus hoser has been great so far. Zero plastic taste, bite valve works easy and well, light and compact.