Hunting with supressor vs brake

roymunson

WKR
Ok, walk me thru this. I purchased a banish 30 (I know, I know, I got the wal mart version of a suppressor, but it's what I've got for now)

It'll be fun on a varmint gun, etc, but for hunting purposes in the west, what's the application?

I'm taking my 13 year old on an antelope hunt next fall and it'd be an option on a cva cascade 243. It'd also be an option on a 300 wsm CA Ridgeline, but I'd rather be accurate and the length makes me think it'll be a pain.

So how many of you big game hunt with a suppressor, and is it worthwhile? I don't like the recoil of CA and think a brake would help with that.

Matt5266

WKR
I have a banish 30 and hunt with it in its short configuration. I also have a 300 wsm as well as others...... suppressor everytime. I screwed off all my muzzle brakes and threw them in the trash.

TreeDog

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t want to hunt without a suppressor anymore. Sound reduction, recoil reduction, ability to hear the hit better, spooks less game, etc. Well worth it to me. I absolutely hate brakes though.

Ok, walk me thru this. I purchased a banish 30 (I know, I know, I got the wal mart version of a suppressor, but it's what I've got for now)

It'll be fun on a varmint gun, etc, but for hunting purposes in the west, what's the application?

I'm taking my 13 year old on an antelope hunt next fall and it'd be an option on a cva cascade 243. It'd also be an option on a 300 wsm CA Ridgeline, but I'd rather be accurate and the length makes me think it'll be a pain.

So how many of you big game hunt with a suppressor, and is it worthwhile? I don't like the recoil of CA and think a brake would help with that.

For antelope hunting, the length of your rifle shouldn't be an issue. If you decide to go into the timber after whitetails or elk, that thinking may change. Hunting from a blind or treestand also necessitates a shorter overall firearm, IMO.

As for your comment regarding not liking the recoil of the CA in 300WSM, the suppressor is going to help quite a bit there. Not as much recoil reduction as a good muzzle break, but the reduction you do get, combined with the lack of muzzle blast will make it downright pleasant to shoot. I would bet that your 13 year-old could get behind that gun and be just fine too.

Finally, I only hunt with a suppressor now. The reasons are many, first of all I need to preserve what hearing I have left in my left ear (about 45% loss now). This is even more important if you are hunting with children. Protecting their hearing should be your top priority. Yes, you can using hearing protection, but plugs make it very difficult to communicate quietly and electronic muffs are usually made for adult heads so they don't seal properly, which negates a good bit of sound suppression, and they lead to poor head placement on stocks, which leads to poor shooting. Second, and this one is important if you both have antelope tags, is that in many instances, you can shoot without sending the remaining animals into the next county. Many times I have shot an animal and had the other animals just mill around wondering what happened. I have also muffed shots and gotten the opportunity to get my crap together and make a better second shot due to the animal not really moving. That isn't something that routinely happens with non-suppressed rifles unless you are 600+ yards away.

OP
roymunson

roymunson

WKR
I don’t want to hunt without a suppressor anymore. Sound reduction, recoil reduction, ability to hear the hit better, spooks less game, etc. Well worth it to me. I absolutely hate brakes though.
Haven't gone to the range with it yet, but are you getting a bunch of recoil reduction?

It's certainly quieter, but i'm wondering if it gets dirty and fouled if that hassle and danger cancels out the positives.
Not playing devil's advocate, just legitimately trying to make learn more about what I don't fully understand. I don't hate brakes either, so we're probably not completely starting from the same spot

Haven't gone to the range with it yet, but are you getting a bunch of recoil reduction?

It's certainly quieter, but i'm wondering if it gets dirty and fouled if that hassle and danger cancels out the positives.
Not playing devil's advocate, just legitimately trying to make learn more about what I don't fully understand. I don't hate brakes either, so we're probably not completely starting from the same spot
Yes. I estimate about 30% less recoil. Even in a 7-08, I had a hard time spotting shots at 100yds. With a suppressor, I am seeing the target in the scope through the shot. With a centerfire rifle used for hunting, fouling is not an issue unless your shooting hundreds and hundreds of rounds. As far as getting dirty, it's no different than with other muzzle devices or a bare muzzle. Don't shove it in the dirt and put a piece of tape on the end (or the Magnum Long Jimmy from UM; works great).

If your rifle is too long, get a gunsmith to chop a few inches off it. You won't be able to a difference and your rifle will handle much better.

If there are any downsides to a suppressor at all, they are far outweighed by the positives. You can put me in the group that won't hunt without one anymore.