Hunting with loads longer than mag length

Sorry if it has been talked about in the past. I’m new to reloading and cannot find a load I like other than a specific load that is longer than mag length. I understand pros and especially cons to hunting with basically a single shot rifle. Anyone doing this? The difference in groups is night and day.

I know of a few guys that load longer than mag length. If possible, you might can have one in the chamber and one in the mag box. Some guys have had good luck that way.

I've seen people use those bolt on or stick on 2 bullet holder things when hand feeding, I would probably do that if my loads didn't shoot well at mag length

deadwolf

WKR
What kind of bottom metal in your rifle? Can you run a Wyatt’s box or a different mag? If you are using a dbm you might have an aics type mag with a binder plate and can get one without. Need more info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Forkieslayer
I have a magpull aics mag on a oryx chassis. I’ll check to see if I can run only one in the mag. mag length is around 3.560 from what I can tell and my loads are 3.630

deadwolf

WKR
Perhaps a different make of AICS mag, and one with no binder plate. What caliber? Also, while your reloads might shoot great at the length you have the seated, they may still shoot well at a different seating depth.

Vern400

WKR
If you're like me, it's all about the first shot. After game is running or flailing around wounded, follow up shots become somewhat of a crap show anyway. You can easily keep cartridges separated by using a colored primer & bullet sealer. Nobody cares if your first and second cartridges are the same! If somebody does, call them a Karen and move on with your life.

If your gun is a real shooter, you may be able to set the barrel back, and rechamber to get the lands where you want them. It'll be a custom, but you use the bullet you want, at the length you want. I did that to a 308 Remington 700 varmint rifle and I love it.

eyeguy

Lil-Rokslider
As has been said first shot if long range needs to be precise but after that if game is injured and moving its a crap shoot anyway so fast follow up shots with maybe 1 moa vs maybe 1/2 moa[ just guessing] will probably be better than you and all the variables going on. So one over mag length in chamber and mag length rounds down. Elastic round holder on the side to hand feed longer as needed.

deadwolf

WKR
Despite the “advice” given above, your problem is easily solved by an AICS mag with 3.850 length.

f6940ecb58b9f418fff0c85ac2891aed.jpg

Rock-o

WKR
My load is too long for the magazine. I carry several cartridges in the side pocket of my binocular pack.