Hunting with an inline over time

bisblue

WKR
Hey folks I'm lucky enough to have a late season cow tag as part of my archery elk unit, and I can usually hunt after work.

This was my first year hunting with an inline an older traditions .50 cal a friend sold me. I'm primarily a traditional archery guy.

I was wondering what folks do for late season hunting (snow) with an inline hunting multiple days? When I got a shot at a cow I had three misfires in a row with the #11 primers. When I really pushed on the fourth primer it finally went off, so I'm assuming that was a new user error. I noticed the primers were super mangled when I opened the bolt.
I can switch the nipples to shoot #11 or a larger muzzleloader primer. It seems like the larger primer is much easier to handle.
Compress_20231229_175921_1133.jpg

Last edited:

Wrench

WKR
Your biggest enemy will be big temperature swings. Any time see condensation....so can your powder.

#11 are fine as are musket caps AS LONG as you use easy to light powders. There are seals for #11 caps that seal them on the nipple.....but misfires are usually dirty gun or wet powder.

Misfires? Sounds like from your description of the issue that you mean the cap didn’t go off? If so, you may need to try a different brand of #11 cap or modify the nipple slightly so that those caps actually fit. I’m guessing the caps you have don’t fit the nipple correctly. Common problem.

OP
bisblue

bisblue

WKR
Misfires? Sounds like from your description of the issue that you mean the cap didn’t go off? If so, you may need to try a different brand of #11 cap or modify the nipple slightly so that those caps actually fit. I’m guessing the caps you have don’t fit the nipple correctly. Common problem.
Affirm, never heard any pops or sounds. Got to watch the elk look around as I worked the bolt, dug the tin out of my side pocket, fiddled one on, click, try again...

OP
bisblue

bisblue

WKR
Your biggest enemy will be big temperature swings. Any time see condensation....so can your powder.

#11 are fine as are musket caps AS LONG as you use easy to light powders. There are seals for #11 caps that seal them on the nipple.....but misfires are usually dirty gun or wet powder.
I'm shooting pyrodex RS powder.

Would the seal prevent removing the cap? I remove them when I get back to the vehicle.

Affirm, never heard any pops or sounds. Got to watch the elk look around as I worked the bolt, dug the tin out of my side pocket, fiddled one on, click, try again...
If the caps didn’t go off you’ve either got bad caps or they don’t fit (go fully onto the nipple). I’d try different caps or a different nipple.

Mattys010

FNG
I have a cva wolf. I started having a problem with the primers not going off last season. It would take a couple of tries for it to go off.I first thought it was bad/old primers. I realized that the firing pin was all corroded and wasn’t advancing until it got loosened up.

slvrslngr

WKR
Remove the nipple and use some Emory cloth to buff the nipple, making it slightly smaller and smoother. Switching to musket caps is also an option.