Hunting with a partner

stuckbuck

FNG
I'm just curious how you guys handle hunting with a partner?
How do you decide who shoots who calls and how it alternates?
just curious, thanks for any response!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Usually we rotate encounters. If we don't have an encounter for a whole day then we switch. encounters usually are seeing a bull within 100yds for us.

We always went our separate ways. We had two totally different hunting styles so this was best.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
This one is easy. My hunting partner doesn't bow hunt, so I'm always first. He also isn't allowed to make a sound.......elk or otherwise. I do ALL the calling. He always stays back behind me a ways without moving unless I do. And he can raise the cow decoy and hold it still if he wants. That's about it. We've been best friends since 7th grade (39 years), so he enjoys going hunting with me still. One of these years he will draw his trophy ML tag, and then he'll have a blast because I'll be calling for him at that point.

OP
stuckbuck

stuckbuck

FNG
Usually we rotate encounters. If we don't have an encounter for a whole day then we switch. encounters usually are seeing a bull within 100yds for us.

This is close what I had in mind, I like the 100 yard deal.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
We rotate every encounter but we have hunted together for 14 years and will swap mid stream if it'll up our odds at sealing the deal

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

We really don't rotate on who gets the first shot, whoever gets the best opportunity gets to shoot first

tttoadman

WKR
My brother is much faster with a gun in the timber than I am. I am better in the open country and longer distance. I get us in the area, and he closes the deal. I am better suited for glassing and spotting long distance. His instincts for stalking are usually spot on, so I just follow his lead to keep from screwing things up.

You spot it first it is your opportunity first and we work as team to seal the deal. Usually in the terrain and style we hunt one will stay on point and guides the other in. Works great for my buddies and I, we've had a blast!

jmez

WKR
We really don't have any rules. You see it you are the shooter otherwise we take turns calling and setting up for the shot. If the caller has a clear shot he takes it.

I'm happy if my partner gets one. We never really argure, fight or worry about who is shooting.

PA 5-0

WKR
I'm happy if my partner gets one. We never really argure, fight or worry about who is shooting.

The guys that are searching for hunting partners need to read this^^^^^ carefully. Hunters can be type As, lots of competition, selfishness and jealousy, even among the closest of friends. Especially on out of town trips where great effort and money are involved, make sure you are picking a team player. I have always been just as, if not more stoked, when my partner puts an arrow in something. I've gone on many hunts without a tag, carrying only my calls and the DSLR. Conversely, I've had guys throw their bow on the ground all pissed off when my arrow met its mark. Critical aspect when you are shopping for a partner. Best of luck this Fall.

The guys that are searching for hunting partners need to read this^^^^^ carefully. Hunters can be type As, lots of competition, selfishness and jealousy, even among the closest of friends. Especially on out of town trips where great effort and money are involved, make sure you are picking a team player. I have always been just as, if not more stoked, when my partner puts an arrow in something. I've gone on many hunts without a tag, carrying only my calls and the DSLR. Conversely, I've had guys throw their bow on the ground all pissed off when my arrow met its mark. Critical aspect when you are shopping for a partner. Best of luck this Fall.

This is great advice! Always choose your hunting partners wisely. I made that mistake last year when I let someone new tag along with me. Everybody has different expectations when it comes to hunting, so make sure that information is communicated between partners. If both hunters share similar expectations, make sure you lay some ground rules for determining who goes first and don't wait until an encounter to establish those rules.

Last edited: