Hunting Voodoo

T43

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not a real superstitious guy and I figure most everything has an explanation. With one exception.

"That gun"

Not to turn this into a gun mfg or caliber debate I'll just say I had a well made American firearm in a proven magnum caliber that shot clover leaf patterns with some regularity and was rarely off more than an inch on a cold bore shot. I loved it. It was mhands.to gun for a few years. Then this year it hit me. Everything I shot with it walked or ran away and turned into either a tracking job or follow up shots. It was on my last elk where I had a 160gr Acubond enter behind the near shoulder and wedge in the skin after penetrating the off shoulder. The shot should have been the end. It wasn't in fact it took 2 more to finish the job. When we skinned and actually found the first shot my buddy, whom I have known pretty much forever and who has seen me shoot stuff since we were kids, brought the subject to light. "That gun is bad luck" he said and as soon as he did I knew he was right. I started remembering the kill shots with other rifles I have hunted with. My moose that flipped upside down as I racked the bolt for a follow up shot. Deer that had dropped as if hit by lightning, elk that tipped over. Then he started reminding me of all the times he had seen and heard about with "that gun". Tracking jobs multiple follow up shots and I couldn't think of a time I had hunted with "that gun" where I didn't get that bad gut feeling after the first shot.

I just got rid of "that gun" hopefully it will be better off in someone else's hands. Hopefully it's not someone I know or someone who hunts in the same unit and hopefully it didn't get to close to the gun I replaced it with.

Anyone else have some piece of gear that has convinced you some things just have bad juju?

I've got a 3,500 dollar rifle I feel exactly the same way about. I know it isn't the gun, but I haven't really liked hunting with it so I switched. I've got gear I feel the opposite way about as well.