Hunting the rock. Newfoundland moose

Another update. Processing fee. I was just charged $729 for processing my moose from countryside abbitoir. All meat will be vacuum sealed. This will include rounds made into roasts. Sirloin into steaks. Backstraps into steaks. Tenderloins left whole. 50 lbs of various sausage (brat) flavors and the rest ground into 1lb packages. This also includes boxes for the meat and boxing of my antlers due to sending them to MN which they need to be boxes at that pickup. Shipping is looking to estimate at $1000-$1200.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

This is the single best reason for driving, if that can be worked out. On our last trip, we took 3 bull moose. That would have cost (by your estimate) $6,000 for butchering and shipping. Ouch
My trailer easily handles 12 large coolers and all of our gear. IIRC 9-10 coolers were needed for the butchered meat.

OP
Nickziegler
This is the single best reason for driving, if that can be worked out. On our last trip, we took 3 bull moose. That would have cost (by your estimate) $6,000 for butchering and shipping. Ouch
My trailer easily handles 12 large coolers and all of our gear. IIRC 9-10 coolers were needed for the butchered meat.
Ya it stings a bit. Looking at priced from the last few years from the butcher prices have almost doubled and shipping has also gone up a good bit. As an example antlers use to ship free with meat boxes. Now they cost $175. Still very much worth it in my mind. Driving simply was not possible for me. I was traveling alone and it would have been 42 hrs of road time plus the ferry. Alot can go wrong in that time / miles. The ferry was also cancelled several days from what I heard due to weather when I was leaving

Ya it stings a bit. Looking at priced from the last few years from the butcher prices have almost doubled and shipping has also gone up a good bit. As an example antlers use to ship free with meat boxes. Now they cost $175. Still very much worth it in my mind. Driving simply was not possible for me. I was traveling alone and it would have been 42 hrs of road time plus the ferry. Alot can go wrong in that time / miles. The ferry was also cancelled several days from what I heard due to weather when I was leaving

I'm glad it all worked out for you. I have always taken the ferry but I travel/hunt with 2-3 other guys all the time. We also take a state room on the ferry so that we can sleep on the 8hr crossing. Disembark at 8am and back on the road refreshed. Split 3-4 ways, the expenses are reasonable.

The ferry ride is 100 miles across, and the ferry is loaded down with cars and tractor-trailer rigs. I'd be happy to not cross in questionable weather.