Hunting the Haul Road

Cade2040

FNG
I am looking into hunting the haul road this year, I haven’t decided a time of year to go yet. I am an Alaska resident and have hunted almost every type of animal up here except for caribou. I do a moose hunt 15 days in September so that’s out of the question . I was thinking mid August, is that a decent time to go? Any info is appreciated.

Mojave

WKR
They usually cast their antlers mid-late October, but this can be after Christmas just depends on the deer.

They taste like crap during the rut. Worse than any other deer, though I have had some rutty moose that were bad too. That's most of September and October.

I used to hunt out of Barrow, but it was all winter conditions on a snowgo. We generally only shot antlered stuff without antlers. As it was Feb-March. Been 30 years. I can't give you any specifics.

The meat cooks down to nothing. I never really figured it out. Natives just boil it like they do everything else.

gurmann13

FNG
I am looking into hunting the haul road this year, I haven’t decided a time of year to go yet. I am an Alaska resident and have hunted almost every type of animal up here except for caribou. I do a moose hunt 15 days in September so that’s out of the question . I was thinking mid August, is that a decent time to go? Any info is appreciated.
I'm also headed up the haul road for the first time in August. From what I've read and researched Mid August- Early September is pretty good. Escape the crowds, it'll be a great hunt! I'm headed up solo, so if you're looking for company or any help hit me up!

Mid August should be fine. There's no right or wrong time between July to October really because they are either crossing the road in great numbers or they ain't. There's usually at least some to stalk along the road.

thayerp81

FNG
Reports from my transporter are that there are a good number of caribou along the road and up the rivers from PS2. They killed 3 or 4 the other day on one outing. I don't know anything about how long they'll be in the area based on that, but they're optimistic about us having a good hunt when we're up there in a couple weeks.

OP
Cade2040

Cade2040

FNG
We had a great hunt up there this year. We shot three nice bulls the first day and saw animals everywhere. All it took was getting off the road just a little bit.