hunting tag strategy in Montana

peterk123

WKR
Looking for some advice from folks that have a lot more experience with this than me. With my first season in full swing, I am starting to understand the system a bit better. Now I am thinking about what to focus on next year when it is time to go for tags again.

General tags are straightforward. I am looking for some help to better understand B tags, lotteries and other options that are out there like OTC and damage hunts. I put in for a B tag this year for deer and elk. The B tag I drew allowed me to take a doe muley in a specific zone. I did not understand the value of that tag until I started hunting during archery. The opportunity to take a doe, especially during archery was huge. It allowed me to get my first deer here with a bow. Now I am seeing there are region B tags. Seems like it would make sense to go for the region B tag instead of a specific zone. However, I am assuming there is a cost to doing that, meaning your odds go way down. I could be wrong though. Then there are your second and third choice for B tags. Are there any favorable odds of landing one of those if your first choice falls through? And how do you strategize your three choices? Then you can also put in for B tags as a group. Does that mean if you get that then everyone in your group gets it? Then there are the other options out there that I probably am unaware of. I did not put in for antelope or bear this year because I figured I would have my hands full just trying to figure out where to hunt for deer and elk. And of course, the same questions for B tags go for elk.

Any helpful advice, even if it to just go to a specific thread or website, or a book, would be greatly appreciated. Pete

You just never know when a black bear will walk by when hunting other species. I always buy Sportsman with bear JIC.
B tags= trial and error. Some are worth it, others not so much. If your looking to wack and stack: regional whitetail b tags can be had by the many, then your not locked into a specific district, and if you don’t harvest your not out $$.

OP
peterk123

peterk123

WKR
You just never know when a black bear will walk by when hunting other species. I always buy Sportsman with bear JIC.
B tags= trial and error. Some are worth it, others not so much. If your looking to wack and stack: regional whitetail b tags can be had by the many, then your not locked into a specific district, and if you don’t harvest your not out $$.
I'm not an antler hunter. I do it for the joy of the experience and food. Ya, I have to focus on those otc tags for sure.