• Sportsman

Votes: 26 25.0%
  • Give-Back

Votes: 9 8.7%

• Total voters

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
There is definitely a progression. I’ve done them all keeping the sportsman at the forefront. Will be in the trophy/give back stage for the rest of my days.

OP
R

Rich M

WKR
I

I'm surprised that this is new to you. It was already bubbling up when you were being ejumucated in hunting by the state and the common narrative.

That said, I don't believe 'stages' was the word they really were looking for because that implies a progression, which is obviously a flawed assumption.

Does it really date back 40+ years?

Folks have to get better at hunting. Seemingly everyone is able to learn from their mistakes and process information provided by others.

I also agree that not everyone changes "stages". A guy who shoots a meat animal every year is usually fine with the process.

Hydroguy

FNG
I've probably hit all of those stages at some time or another. I don't know that there is a natural progression from one to the next. I just want an adventure or to try something new. I usually have a freezer full of wild game, so I can't say it's the kill that drives me. I set new goals for myself, I don't advertise what they are, they're mine only. I would love to collect a superslam, but financially that will never happen, so I set goals that are achievable. It's all about fulfilling my own satisfaction. I'm not opposed to hunting with my camera to reach a new goal. Heck, I got my Rocky Mountain Bighorn that way!

Sportsman is where I find myself if I have to put a label on it. I’m in a highly competitive occupation so I’m not looking to compete with my outdoor hobbies. Its more of a lifestyle. I enjoy planning for and being in my camps. My whitetail season is long October thru February. My hunting is at least 9 hours away from home base so its much time getting away from home at one week to three week trips. I can work while gone.
I’m not a trophy hunter. I’m a deer hunter. I hunt to fill my freezer and do my part to shoot does in the first part of the season then hunt for that nice buck the rest.

I”m a saltwater flats angler as well. Both fly and conventional gear. Boat and yak. Many of my resources and efforts are all spent and designed to lead a sporting lifestyle.

I’m 62 and have led this lifestyle my whole adult life. Its taken some risk and sacrifice but I wouldn’t trade it for any other. I would have done somethings different but you don't get that option.