Hunting snowboard pants.

cocky84

WKR
Going on a ski trip and would like some snowboarding pants. I rarely go so will probably buy some hunting pants that will work. What would be some good options? Would the sitka timberline be water resistant enough? Any Kuiu options? I have the attacks but I don't think they will work for skiing.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
My knees don't like skiing but taking the kids sledding I'll throw on my rain pants. No idea of the brand they are full leg zip and pretty rugged outer with gortex membrane. Venting the legs is nice when climbing.

If my knees get wet and cold, I'm done so waterproof at the knees at least.

2ski

WKR
You don't need an expensive pair for just a few times. Go find a cheap pair under 50 bucks from a sporting goods store. They won't be insulated but wear sweats underneath.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I just got home from a few days in Steamboat and by day two I was wishing I had brought my sylo softshell pants. My cheap, ancient boarding pants were soaking through the seat just from sitting down to strap in. I've never worn any other type of pant for snowboarding (including the ones I mentioned) so I don't know how well anything else actually works. I always see a number of guys wearing they're regular waterfowl/whitetail hunting bibs if you have those, but I would stay away from something stiff like carharts.

Where are you headed?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I did just buy some from target for 35 bucks. Lightly insulated and would do fine for your skiing needs. I can't see how to use them hunting unless you hunt some cold weather. They don't make good glassing pants since there is no leg zips and bulky. For the money I'd justify it for the occasional ski trip.

Depends more on the weather when your skiing. If its clear skies you would be set with some Kuiu Attack soft shell pants . I use soft shell pants (Mammut or Patagonia which are VERY similar to the attack pants ) skiing weekly all winter. If its dumping you will most likely prefer a full on Goretex or Event type water proof pant if you want to have comfort.

boom

WKR
i'm reading it as:

you rarely snowboard, so you want to buy hunting pants (that you do use on more than one occasion) that can do double duty?

i had a pair of loaner Sitka pants that were damn near better than my ski pants. i think they were the Coldfronts. i stayed dry on my knees and ass, and i was on them all the time.

FreeRange

WKR
My attacks don't fit over my snowboard boots, something to consider. I've used mountaineering shell pants before, they had a boot zip though so it's easier to accomodate those big boots.

Probably a good idea to think if you want a hard or soft shell. If the temps will be anywhere near above freezing you probably don't want soft shells as you always end up sitting on your butt for some amount of time when snowboarding.

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
First Lite is based in the ski town of Ketchum, ID - minutes away from Sun Valley. Given the amount of First Lite you see on the mountain, they might be your best bet for double-duty gear.

OP
cocky84

cocky84

WKR
i'm reading it as:

you rarely snowboard, so you want to buy hunting pants (that you do use on more than one occasion) that can do double duty?

i had a pair of loaner Sitka pants that were damn near better than my ski pants. i think they were the Coldfronts. i stayed dry on my knees and ass, and i was on them all the time.

Bingo. Id rather spend couple hundred on hunting pants then i would $50 for actual ski pants. I am going to winter park in march.

Poser

WKR
"My attacks don't fit over my snowboard boots, something to consider". Good point !

Yeah, I haven't tried it, but I doubt they would fit over any snowboard boot. I have been snowboarding inch Sitka Timberline pants, though and they work great. They fit snugly over boots, but not to the point that it will permanently stretch the fabric out. I've had quite a few people ask me about them on the lifts (and also my First Lite Grizzly gloves, too). Having the stretchy material is far more comfortable than most of the mainstream alternatives unless you want to go baggy style pants (which you likely don't if you are older than 15 years old).

Funny. I have an old Santa Cruz board that I bought in 1999 and have used ever since. Some kid at the bus stop said, "Dude! My grandfather has that same snowboard!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IdahoElk

WKR
Bingo. Id rather spend couple hundred on hunting pants then i would $50 for actual ski pants. I am going to winter park in march.

What size are you? I'm 5' 10" and have nice Burton snowboard bibs you can use if you want,they would be much better than hunting pants as they are insulated and keep your back nice and warm.

tommymo

Lil-Rokslider
When I wasn't married, didn't have kids, I used to snowboard lol.

When I did I had the same thought, I used a pair of insulated gore tex bibs. It served the dual pur pose perfectly.

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't buy snowboarding pants if you rarely go. I snowboard all winter so I've got a nice pair that are pretty waterproof but would be extra noisy while hunting. I'm not falling that much these days but I have half the mind to board in jeans sometimes. Even on power days I don't feel that I get all that wet. This last weekend I actually even saw a few people in some of that Kuiu/Sitka type camo gear and they looked happy. Just maybe wear some good under garments.

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
When I wasn't married, didn't have kids, I used to snowboard lol.

When I did I had the same thought, I used a pair of insulated gore tex bibs. It served the dual pur pose perfectly.
When I started boarding I wore Carhartt cotton duck bibs. I would be a little wet in the ass and knees but it was no biggy. You gotta get those kids snowboarding. My oldest fell on his chin and nearly bit his tongue off on his first real trip down the mountain. Good times.

I must be different than most of you but solid waterproof pants with some venting are a priority for me Snowboarding. A guy can live with soaking wet ass and knees, but why if you don't have to? Even in warm SoCal at Big Bear where I've gone with just a First Light Chama and no shell up top I still want waterproof pants. I've used insulated waterproof hunting bibs and they get pretty warm but work. Gore tex pants that have a zip you can use to vent would be ideal. I wouldn't go using an expensive ultra light shell like Sitka dewpoint or gore pac lite for fear of tearing them up.