Hunting scope 500-700 yards FFP under $800

806guns

FNG
Im looking for a hunting scope for 500-700 yards FFP under $800 Not a fan of vortex, arken(reticles) i prefer to not have a floating dot center. Adjustable turrets is a plus. Really love my XTR III. Mainly run Riton scopes. Any other to look at ? Will be on a 6.5 PRC

eric1115

WKR
You can occasionally find LRHS's in that price range (used). I've been really happy with mine in both the 4.5-18 and the 3-12 (preferred) versions.

eric1115

WKR
Is the Lhrs 2 just as good?

My understanding is that the internals (optical and mechanical) are the same (which is a very good thing) though glass may have slightly upgraded coatings. It has locking exposed windage rather than capped (a downgrade for my use). I wouldn't hesitate if you prefer new and/or don't want to wait for a good used one to pop up in classifieds.

If you're looking to spend new lrhs2 money, the often out of stock Maven rs1.2 and the trijicon Tenmile (often on steep discount sale price) are both great options for similar dollars.

If the SWFA 3-9 ever comes back in stock that's probably the best scope for your described uses. Don't hold your breath though. No one who's got one wants to sell it right now, even though they could get way more than they paid for it new.

OP
806guns

806guns

FNG
My understanding is that the internals (optical and mechanical) are the same (which is a very good thing) though glass may have slightly upgraded coatings. It has locking exposed windage rather than capped (a downgrade for my use). I wouldn't hesitate if you prefer new and/or don't want to wait for a good used one to pop up in classifieds.

If you're looking to spend new lrhs2 money, the often out of stock Maven rs1.2 and the trijicon Tenmile (often on steep discount sale price) are both great options for similar dollars.

If the SWFA 3-9 ever comes back in stock that's probably the best scope for your described uses. Don't hold your breath though. No one who's got one wants to sell it right now, even though they could get way more than they paid for it new.
I love my 10x, i have taken aoudad at 250 yards with it.

OP
806guns

806guns

FNG
I ended up with a Meopta Opkita 6 5-30x56. I have a 26" 308, 26" 25 saw, 24" 7 saw, 26" 6.5 prc. My limit for 308 is 500 yards.

eric1115

WKR
IMO, if you're shooting 700 yards at an animal other than a coyote, spend more than $800 on your scope and practice...alot.

I think an LRHS, SHV 3-10, SWFA 3-9, or Tenmile (borderline) can be bought used for $800± and are great hunting scopes for 600+. I'd take any of these over a Razor LHT, MK5, or a lot of other $1k+ scopes.

Zero argument on the practice bit.

I have a maven rs.3 and an swfa fixed 10 that I have used and really enjoyed. Both are for sale in the classifieds (shameless plug). I’m only getting rid of them because I am going to mils but will likely be buying these scopes in mils because I like them.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Element Helix HD 2-16x50's
  • 30mm Main Body Tube
  • 8x Zoom Optical System
  • Compact, Lightweight design
  • Choice of FFP or SFP Reticle
  • Aircraft Grade Aluminum
  • Side Parallax: 10m-Infinity
  • Fully Multi-Coated Lenses with HD Glass
  • Tool-Free Exposed Elevation Turret, Capped Windage Turret
  • Zero Stop
  • Removable Magnification Throw Lever
  • Waterproof, Fogproof, Shockproof & Nitrogen Purged
  • Sunshade, Lens Cloth & Lens Caps Included

JGRaider

WKR
IMO, if you're shooting 700 yards at an animal other than a coyote, spend more than $800 on your scope and practice...alot.
In 51 years of hunting I've yet to need to shoot that far on big/medium game animals.