Hunting Retical: SWFA, NF, or Maven?

philcox

WKR
Context: I currently shoot the NF 25-10x42 MOAR (on 7PRC and 6.5CM). I "swap" them to my 223 for practice. I also have a VX5 on a 300WM that I don't use much. I find the 2.5-10 is more that adequate magnification for my needs, even shooting out to 1000y on steel.

I am looking at potentially making a switch to MIL vs MOA (yes, all the information @Formidilosus has laid out is convincing). With that, I am NOT able to get my hands on the actual scopes I would switch to and look at the reticals at this point. So looking for some opinion (and yes I know they are just that), on the "in field use" of the following FFP MIL reticals:
  • SWFA MIL-Quad (3-9x42)
  • Maven SHR-MIL (the RS 1.2 when they come back in stock)
  • NightForce MIL-R (2.5-10x42. I know this is a SFP, but I love everything about my MOA scope at this point, so willing to live with SFP if I swap)
As a side note, I know all of these scopes are really hard to find, so I will bide my time to get them. I have been hunting with what I have, so I am no worse off at this point ...

Insights are appreciated.

Nightforce will only be doing limited runs of the 2.5-10 going forward, so now would be the time to try and get one. And that would be my personal choice of those you’ve listed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 2 of the 3 scopes and “partially “ all 3 as my NF’s are the SHV 4-14 F1’s but in MOA. My maven and SWFA are MIL. Hands down the Maven is the best reticle. Then the NF and then SWFA.

I do not care for the SWFA reticle at all. Once the Mavens are back in stock I’ll be selling all but one of my SWFA’s due to the poor reticle.

Moving to all Maven, NF and 1 S&B.

The Maven, SWFA, and S&B P3L are better reticles than the Nightforce, and listed in the order I’d rank them.

If you’re ever in Denver area hit me up and you can look through the Maven and SWFA. I moved the S&B and NF, so I don’t have those for you to look through any longer.

The Mavens and SWFA are both merely figments of one’s imagination right now anyway, which makes the NF the only realistic choice. Just be prepared for the reticle to be virtually unusable at lower powers.

The Mavens and SWFA are both merely figments of one’s imagination right now anyway, which makes the NF the only realistic choice. Just be prepared for the reticle to be virtually unusable at lower powers.

Figment of imagination? RS1.2’s were selling a month ago, and will be in stock this month or next.

Thx all. I am going to replace all with the Maven if/when I get a chance. If the chance never happens, then I'll just shoot like I always have been. I figure "I can only get better" ... so no real pressure to move yet.

To @Formidilosus point on another post, probably more useful to actually practice with what I have (it ain't like they suck) and change when I get an opportunity. "Practice" being the most important thing!

As Tony Horton would say "I hate it, but I love it" ... when it comes to Rokslide challenging almost everything I consider fact :)

I’ve had all 3 of those scopes and currently using both the NXS Mil-R and the Maven SHR-Mil.

As much as I love the weight, durability & compactness of the NXS 2.5-10x42 & 32, I much prefer using the SHR-Mil.

The preciseness of the center floating dot, the fact that it’s ffp, the increased magnification for shooting past 1,000 yards and the ability to hold for wind more precisely are all aspects that make it stand above the NXS.

I’ll be buying another RS 1.2 in the near future.

I have used all three of those scopes side by side and I'd rank the reticles as follows:
1a) Maven SHR Mil
1b) SWFA Milquad
2) NF Mil-R

The NF MIL-R is usable, but not nearly so as the top 2. The top 2 being FFP makes them better scopes to me overall as well. I also have the Mil-R in a FFP baby ATACR and I still prefer the Maven and SWFA as they are just better hunting reticles.

For those who may not be familiar, but find themselves reading this thread.

Nightforce Mil-R
255e60baef42b986549ea9f73a9cc709.jpg

Maven SHR- MIL
3482bdfe9d3d89e2122300747122f5f8.jpg

SWFA MIL QUAD
fb8f2b4c412bbf93f55215e2e82ff630.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

they look fairly similar-ish in the printed diagrams, but they look vastly different through the scope, especially at different magnifications. Lots of brands diagrams seem bordering on misleading to me.
In any case, there are through the scope images here of a bunch of reticles, including these. Looks like a bunch of posts with images have been deleted, but I believe all of the reticles in question are still shown.

Last edited:
I have 2 of the 3 scopes and “partially “ all 3 as my NF’s are the SHV 4-14 F1’s but in MOA. My maven and SWFA are MIL. Hands down the Maven is the best reticle. Then the NF and then SWFA.

I do not care for the SWFA reticle at all. Once the Mavens are back in stock I’ll be selling all but one of my SWFA’s due to the poor reticle.

Moving to all Maven, NF and 1 S&B.
Second this. I love my 10x SS but the reticle is not a highlight.

Personally I like the NF MIL XT and MILC. I can't seem to find much affection towards the MILR.

Back