Hunting - Powder Recommendation

SPARKY418

FNG
Howdy,
I’m new to the reloading world and looking for some powder brand and option recommendations. I have a Seekins 300 win mag, Barnes TTSX bullets and some Hornady ELD-X, some new Nosler and Hornady brass and a mix of once fired, mag primers - enough for about 500rds. I’ve read a little that I need to watch out for temperature as some brands do better than others when temps fluctuate…
I hunt Elk, and Muley out west and Whitetail in my home state of MN.

And of course the task of trying to find any in stock somewhere.

Thanks!
Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since your in MN, Scheels usually has good supplies of powder and components. For load data just google "hornady load data" or "barnes load data" and it should be easy to find some recipes for your 300 mag. Hornady's mobile app is pretty decent as well and is cheap, especially if you have multiple calibers to reload. Each cartridge is like $1 to add.

Duh

WKR
My Seekins likes the 212 eldx, H1000 or h4831 SC. I use Peterson long brass too. I’ve had good luck with both powders hunting in North Dakota, South Dakota, Nevada, and Idaho. Temp ranges from -20’s to 80 degrees.

I have a near max load of h1000 that’ll run into some pressure signs in humid hot temps but it’s usually fine during September into April.

OP
S

SPARKY418

FNG
Since your in MN, Scheels usually has good supplies of powder and components. For load data just google "hornady load data" or "barnes load data" and it should be easy to find some recipes for your 300 mag. Hornady's mobile app is pretty decent as well and is cheap, especially if you have multiple calibers to reload. Each cartridge is like $1 to add.

Thank you!

MThuntr

WKR
some new Nosler and Hornady brass and a mix of once fired
Don't mix components. Pick one brand of brass (preferably of the same lot) and stick with them.

As for powder, that would depend on which bullets and weights you're looking to use...again don't change more than one variable at a time.

Hodgdon and Barnes Free data is pretty good. Nosler's data seem to be high on the velocity side.

ColeyG

WKR
I use IMR4831 and H4831SC for the 200gr eld-x in my .300wm. Seems to work just fine for me.

Out of a Tikka t3 superlight with 24" barrel my MV is 2848fps with 71.4 grains. This matches the MV that I was getting with the factory Precision Hunter rounds, which was my goal in putting the load together.

Seems like H1000 and RL22 are also pretty popular for the .300wm. I haven't seen any RL22 on the shelves since I started reloading a few years ago. 4831 is showing up pretty consistently.

49ereric

WKR
Temperature fluctuations are over hyped imo. I know not to shoot in hot temps with some powders-loads.
4831 whether IMR or HSC should work fine depending on the bullet weight. Biggest bullet then H4831sc.
lots of opinions.

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
The only thing you can do is find a powder that advertises it is temperature stable. There really isnt a good resource for rating the temp stability in all the various powders. Good on ya for being new and knowing to ask about this though.

I would look at Reloader 23, its advertized as temp stable and suitable for your 300WM. Their website has free load data to start with for R23 in the 300WM.

Also dont mix brass, stick with one brand of brass only for safety reasons.

Marble

WKR
I use H4831 in my 300 shooting 200 grain ABs.

And for the Op. Please read aa. Much as you can prior to reloading.

DO NOT MIX COMPONENTS!

ESPECIALLY BRASS!

Sorry I'm yelling. But don't find out the hard way.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

def90

WKR
Rather than going online and asking what powder to use and list a bunch of random brass and bullet types you usually buy a reloading book and find the round you want to reload and then follow their recipe.

If I were in your shoes starting fresh on reloading 300wm, I would buy 100-150 Peterson 300wm Long pieces of brass and keep careful track of firings and anneal often. I've not ever had a problem finding a good powder for 300wm, its flexible and capable with all kinds of projectiles. Brass is the biggest sticking point, focus on one kind of quality brass only, and keep it well prepped. The Long Peterson stuff will be consistent and serve you for a long time.

ColeyG

WKR
Tell me more about this mixed brass issue. I’ve been using mixed batches of once-fired brass and haven’t noticed and significant issues re: pressure, mv, POI shifts etc. Not for the .300wm, mainly 6.5cm, .308, and .223.

Tell me more about this mixed brass issue. I’ve been using mixed batches of once-fired brass and haven’t noticed and significant issues re: pressure, mv, POI shifts etc. Not for the .300wm, mainly 6.5cm, .308, and .223.
Different types of brass, even different lots of externally the same brass, will have variations in internal volume. This will lead to pressure and velocity variations. If you are seeking precision, especially at longer distances, you will see these variations on paper and on the chrono.

OP
S

SPARKY418

FNG
The only thing you can do is find a powder that advertises it is temperature stable. There really isnt a good resource for rating the temp stability in all the various powders. Good on ya for being new and knowing to ask about this though.

I would look at Reloader 23, its advertized as temp stable and suitable for your 300WM. Their website has free load data to start with for R23 in the 300WM.

Also dont mix brass, stick with one brand of brass only for safety reasons.

Thank you!

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
Along with what Turbobrick said, it can also be a safety issue if your handload is at the upper end of pressure. I switched Nosler brass to Peterson brass on a handload and measured the case volume between the two brands and there was a 3.7% difference in case volume which worked out to 2.2grains difference in powder capacity. If you have a hot/max load in a larger case volume and switch brass you could overpressure the rifle.

OP
S

SPARKY418

FNG
Greatly appreciate all the feedback and advice on what to watch out for and be careful on! Looks like I have some reading to do. Take care!

ColeyG

WKR
Along with what Turbobrick said, it can also be a safety issue if your handload is at the upper end of pressure. I switched Nosler brass to Peterson brass on a handload and measured the case volume between the two brands and there was a 3.7% difference in case volume which worked out to 2.2grains difference in powder capacity. If you have a hot/max load in a larger case volume and switch brass you could overpressure the rifle.

Got it. I am at, or even slightly above the max load based on Hornady’s recommendations on most everything I’m reloading, so this seems like something I need to tune in to. Much appreciated.

Got it. I am at, or even slightly above the max load based on Hornady’s recommendations on most everything I’m reloading, so this seems like something I need to tune in to. Much appreciated.
What is the rationale for going above (even slightly) a published load from a reputable manufacturer? Is it more accurate, is it meeting a velocity goal you want to achieve?

In any case, no pun intended, unless you've cross referenced with other data that shows heavier powder charges with those components, get a larger cased cartridge if it's velocity your after and stay within data. (y)

ColeyG

WKR
What is the rationale for going above (even slightly) a published load from a reputable manufacturer? Is it more accurate, is it meeting a velocity goal you want to achieve?

In any case, no pun intended, unless you've cross referenced with other data that shows heavier powder charges with those components, get a larger cased cartridge if it's velocity your after and stay within data. (y)

Trying to achieve a very specific MV.

I've cross checked with a few other sources of load data and much more experienced reloaders and Hornady seems to be pretty conservative with their max.