Hunting etiquette?

OP
C
So you essentially told them where the elk were at, and then were surprised that they made a move for them?

Also the fact you have issues about somebody being within damn near 1/2 mile of you is kinda funny. How big of personal bubble do you feel entitled to
Well, I didn't have a problem with him being there. And honestly, I felt bad about staying initially. But the distance coupled with being there prior days and the fact that the guy couldn't (or at least I don't think) see the point that the bulls had been entering the valley lead me to stay. I was definitely conflicted.

Once the old man confirmed to me that they were there strictly because I had shot and specifically got there early with the expectation of me leaving, I felt different. My problem was their expectations in the situation. They knew I missed and was coming back. They knew I got there early. Lesson learned on my part. I was curious of the concensus opinion. I don't feel I was wrong given the entire situation. But honestly I didn't have all the facts at the time of my decision. I thought the distance was acceptable, though not ideal.

This is the bull BTW.

20221106_183225.jpg

sndmn11

WKR
Well, I didn't have a problem with him being there. And honestly, I felt bad about staying initially. But the distance coupled with being there prior days and the fact that the guy couldn't (or at least I don't think) see the point that the bulls had been entering the valley lead me to stay. I was definitely conflicted.

Once the old man confirmed to me that they were there strictly because I had shot and specifically got there early with the expectation of me leaving, I felt different. My problem was their expectations in the situation. They knew I missed and was coming back. They knew I got there early. Lesson learned on my part. I was curious of the concensus opinion. I don't feel I was wrong given the entire situation. But honestly I didn't have all the facts at the time of my decision. I thought the distance was acceptable, though not ideal.

This is the bull BTW.

View attachment 472490

That's not where the carcass tag goes...

My perspective on situations like this would be to ask would someone be ok with their family or friend hunting within X distance of them? If the answer is yes, I don't see any issue with random someone hunting within X distance of them.

@Hnthrdr can attest to this, but 99% of the time when I am in the field, I am "black bear hunting" and the response is usually to give me a bunch of info and not bother me.

Years back, I set up about 60ish yards away from a guy.

Hunted up to this ridgeline looking for a guy from work that I was hunting with. I spotted him sitting against a stump, so I waved an plopped down about 60 yrds away, and started glassing the canyon as well. Jim kept looking my way and making weird lil gestures with his hand.

After about 10 mins he got up "WELL F*&^K IT THEN!!!!" an went stomping off down the ridge.

Turns out that wasnt the guy from work. No idea who it was, but he's probly still mad about it

Gerbdog

WKR
Good bull, nice thing about public land is its public, i hope it stays that way so my poor self can keep hunting the west. Were you wrong? No. Were they wrong? No. It's public land, you both have a right to be there , and with the proper tag in your pocket, hunt it.

sndmn11

WKR
I honestly didn't know that. First one I've ever killed and all the other places I've hunted in the past, you just checked your animal in.

Thanks
Goes with the evidence of sex "majority of carcass" or whoever it is termed.

IF you were to have the animal whole, or halved, or have the head attached to the front quarter for whatever reason, then antlers could qualify as EOS and have the carcass tag on them.

OP
C
Goes with the evidence of sex "majority of carcass" or whoever it is termed.

IF you were to have the animal whole, or halved, or have the head attached to the front quarter for whatever reason, then antlers could qualify as EOS and have the carcass tag on them.
I knew about the EoS, and even made a joke or two about what quarter got the twig and what quarter got the berries. Wife had questions when I brought those home. "Well that's definitely not going on the wall" was her response.

sndmn11

WKR
I knew about the EoS, and even made a joke or two about what quarter got the twig and what quarter got the berries. Wife had questions when I brought those home. "Well that's definitely not going on the wall" was her response.
You just need one quarter with EOS, not two, and I am of the belief that having two quarters with EOS could potentially be confusing and enticing for a wildlife officer.

Carcass tag goes on that one quarter with the EOS.

OP
C
You just need one quarter with EOS, not two, and I am of the belief that having two quarters with EOS could potentially be confusing and enticing for a wildlife officer.

Carcass tag goes on that one quarter with the EOS.
So I defiled him for no good reason? We were stopped by wildlife, but that was before we killed. I've made it a point to stay on their good side. So many rules out West, and they seem to change from unit to unit.

Kenai_dtracker

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats on the bull! Being separated by 800 yards is not what I'd call being in the "same" spot, because I mean jesus, what kind of yards are we shooting?! Funny, I hear shots and I normally head in the other direction or to the next ridge.

OP
C
Congrats on the bull! Being separated by 800 yards is not what I'd call being in the "same" spot, because I mean jesus, what kind of yards are we shooting?! Funny, I hear shots and I normally head in the other direction or to the next ridge.
He was 400 yards at the initial shot. I missed what I think was the same bull the day before at 440. The followup shot was at 360, but was most likely unnecessary.

We were on opposing ridges of the same valley. He was on an inside bend and I was on a point across from him. Mine was a much wider field of view.

jtevanMT

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry, but in this case I would have backed-off since the other hunter was there first. Being there "first" the day before does not count on public lands. "He was adamant that if someone is there first, that I should have left. I told him, I was hunting there first and that I was hunting elk and not gunshots, so I felt like I had the right to be there." I dont agree with your statement, you should have showed-up early to be there first or backed off when the other hunter was already there unless there was sufficient space for 2 groups of hunters.

The other hunter was unethical by moving into your area after learning that you would be back the next day after sighting in your gun. But this does not change the fact that he was there first.

On opening weekend this season my son and I glassed some elk at first light and followed them into the timber. We were working to get between the elk and their bedding area when I noticed 2 hunters working their way down a ridge in front of us. I dont belive they saw the elk, but continuing on our path would have cut them off and completely messed up their hunt. My son want to keep chasing the elk but said we would need to go back and take the long way around. Later the same day my son shot a cow from a different group of elk and we had a fun night packing meat out by headlamp. Hopefully, my son leaned something from the experience and will always take the "high-road" when dealing with others on public lands.

If they've got their dialed in Creedmoor that's way too close, they could knock down bulls a couple hundred yards past the other hunter.

Sorry, but in this case I would have backed-off since the other hunter was there first. Being there "first" the day before does not count on public lands. "He was adamant that if someone is there first, that I should have left. I told him, I was hunting there first and that I was hunting elk and not gunshots, so I felt like I had the right to be there." I dont agree with your statement, you should have showed-up early to be there first or backed off when the other hunter was already there unless there was sufficient space for 2 groups of hunters.

The other hunter was unethical by moving into your area after learning that you would be back the next day after sighting in your gun. But this does not change the fact that he was there first.

On opening weekend this season my son and I glassed some elk at first light and followed them into the timber. We were working to get between the elk and their bedding area when I noticed 2 hunters working their way down a ridge in front of us. I dont belive they saw the elk, but continuing on our path would have cut them off and completely messed up their hunt. My son want to keep chasing the elk but said we would need to go back and take the long way around. Later the same day my son shot a cow from a different group of elk and we had a fun night packing meat out by headlamp. Hopefully, my son leaned something from the experience and will always take the "high-road" when dealing with others on public lands.
This is a good response, two wrongs don't make a right type of thought process. After you clarified the story, OP, I definitely would not have gone over there to beat you to the spot had that been me. Partially out of courtesy but also because I'm allergic to hunters and when I see orange I start breaking out in hives. Same reasoning would've made me back out had I been in your shoes and had somebody flagging at me.

Hnthrdr

WKR
That's not where the carcass tag goes...

My perspective on situations like this would be to ask would someone be ok with their family or friend hunting within X distance of them? If the answer is yes, I don't see any issue with random someone hunting within X distance of them.

@Hnthrdr can attest to this, but 99% of the time when I am in the field, I am "black bear hunting" and the response is usually to give me a bunch of info and not bother me.
Absolutely I am always “bear hunting” ;)… on a real note, I had monster bears all over some wallows this year and of course no tag…. :(

Hnthrdr

WKR
Da heck you say?!?!

Send the pics!!!
Had 3 huge bears (2 black and 1 chocolate) and 3 separate medium sized (rust, blonde, black) bears hitting some of the wallows I hunted this year, but of course no tag, I waited to long and the bear tags were sold out… story of my life, let me dig a pic or two up I think the rest may be on a laptop at home

Last edited: