Hunting Etiquette. 2 tags 1 week of hunting.

Depends on how the elk are acting. If calling is working we just kind of decide by the situation based on who has had action last but don’t limit either person. By that I mean if I am the caller and an elk slips in where I’d have a shot I don’t pass it up just because I’m not the “shooter”. If calling isn’t working, we split up and glass or still hunt solo.

sndmn11

WKR
We just say whomever the elk walks by gets the shot.
Hunt separate too, cover more area that way and find the elk.

Better talk about how you will split the meat up if only one gets an elk.
This makes the most sense to me. I can easily imagine Bob being the designated shooter but maybe can't count all those antler points needed to be 100% certain, while the non-designated shooter is wondering why Bob hasn't shot. Especially with the advantages of a ML.

Raghornkiller

Lil-Rokslider
Split up,you have a muzzleloader so a caller isn't necessary.I never hunt with another person outside of grizzly country unless it's my wife.

Speck1

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt with my brother if I’m not solo. I prefer to call so I always let him have first opportunity. Makes no difference to me which one of us launches the arrow. We split the meat anyway. If he blows an easy chance then it’s my turn.

Seamaster

Lil-Rokslider
When season starts I do not see my buddy or the camp during daylight hours until it is time to pack one out.

Spotter gets first shot is the best way to do it. Otherwise we bet on Jazz Warrior games for first shot.

Scoot

WKR
3 options we've used: alternate animals encountered, alternate morning/evening (flopping who gets which one each day), alternate days. All seem to work a long as you're both in agreement.

wardl_3

Lil-Rokslider
You mentioned previous 2yrs u wuld hunt til filling first tag then go buy 2nd tag if time permitted… if 1 of you hasnt killed yet and the other has killed 1 or 2, maybe work at getting that guy his first kill 🤷🏼‍♂️ if you both have killed, swap day to day

We do a simple alternate elk encounters, it's usually clear if it counts as an encounter or not. That way if one day the action is hot with multiple call-ins the guy that hunts the next day and doesn't hear a bugle doesn't get screwed. It works well for us, split the meat regardless and if one tags out the other is obviously calling.
In our case we usually have one guy pack out the elk and the other gets to keep hunting. It's a bit of a trade-off with more work but that's the reward for killing one. Idaho a couple years ago after tagging out my hunting partner sent me an inreach he had one down after I was back to the truck with the 1st load. That doesn't happen if we don't split up after I kill mine and pack it out solo. It was a rough day and a half of packing elk meat but it's that type 2 fun we all crave.
We do a similar version of this. I always let my hunting buddy have first opportunity because we drive his truck. Wear and tear on his truck = first opportunity. If we go a day without an opportunity, we generally switch up who is up to bat first each day too.

As others have said, how you do it doesn't matter so much. It's that you both understand the agreement and follow it.

Few different ways we have done things over the years. . .

#1. Flip a coin, draw a name, etc. For who is shooter on day 1. Then alternate days going forward.

#2. Same system but alternate by setup/opportunity.

#3. One guy is shooter in the morning and the other in the evening, then it switches the next day.

Typically hunt together as a caller/shooter setup. Occasionally split up to sit waterholes or whatever. If separated obviously it's anyone's shot.

Usi05

WKR
Never done the morning night thing but I like it.

Been with a few different folks and we have always just rotated days and it’s worked pretty well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheViking

WKR
3 options we've used: alternate animals encountered, alternate morning/evening (flopping who gets which one each day), alternate days. All seem to work a long as you're both in agreement.

This.

Depends on a few things, but it’s usually alternate animal/calling setup, or morning/evening. Or we split up at times (when not in grizz country).

But that doesn’t mean the other partner can’t shoot if an opportunity presents itself.

I’ve been calling, partner is shooter and the bull circled back (not uncommon) and came in 30 yards behind me. He did this in complete silence and if I had a slight heads up, chances are I could’ve taken a shot.

Come to an agreement, stick to it, but use some common sense, too. If partner A has a shot opportunity, even tho it’s partner B’s afternoon (or whatever), take it! Filling elk tags isn’t easy, never pass up an opportunity. And if your partner has an issue with that, you need to find a new partner.

GRbowman

FNG
I think you both want to have a tag, there have been a number of times when I have been calling and the guy out front could not get a shot as the bull circled around to the caller and I killed the bull. :)

Spence14

WKR
Similar to what others have said, we always swap out at noon. So someone gets the morning and then someone gets the evening. The next day the person who had the evening the day before will hunt the morning.

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
Alternate shooter vs caller on a daily basis or opportunity basis. Whatever each other agrees with. A opportunity could be a single bull that you possibly set up on twice but keep the same shooter. Next bull that your confident is different you can switch it up.

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
Is it a rut hunt? Will there even be calling? If not, I agree with many. Hunt solo and help each other out. For us, the hunting typically stops until an elk is broken down and packed out. Then the person that got theirs supports the other person/people.

Don’t do it…..

Been there….

One of you draws this year and one of you draws next year.

It’s the best way.

PS: draw second

On rare occasion when I've hunted with a buddy, we are both callers and both shooters. Depends on which direction he comes in on 🙃 and even more importantly, whos call did the bull respond too