Hunting clothing, specifially pants.

IDVortex

WKR
What makes all the fancy brands like SG, Kuiu, Sitka, etc so special when it comes down to their everyday hunting pants? Looking at the brands, price point and longevity of the pants and I start looking at the brand of work pants I wear and have a hard time understanding the price and the durability of the pants vs what I could buy and use which would be TruWerk pants.

So, am I missing something, or is just mainly hype? I'm talking general pants, not rain gear.

cumminsbassguy

Lil-Rokslider
After a minimal amount of research, and based on just reading about your pants vs actually using them. There doesn't seem like much difference to me. I started using the Flexpedition from Duluth this year. And they're about the same as my FL corrugate pants. Going out on a limb here and saying that people gravitate towards the big hunting brand stuff because it's what they have watched folks use, used it themselves on a whim or heard some people giving it good reviews. And the testing those brands put their items through is talked about all over. We get tunnel vision real quick and it's hard for most people to broaden their view into non hunting brands especially when the stuff they have used for ages works. Everyone has their thing, some folks are hell bent that you won't kill a critter in anything but camo. Then there's he opposite side of that. If those pants are comfy, durable and you don't mind living in them,. I say full send. And to answer your question about if it's a hype or not. Sorta yes, sorta no. Somethings or brand are a hype, while others just aren't hyped at all and if you know you know

Last edited:

Ralphie

WKR
Fancy hunting clothing companies don’t sponsor all the influencers for nothing.

You aren’t missing anything.

Its not a secret really. Its a durable stretch nylon/polyester or some synthetic combination similar to a hiking pant priced around $70-$150 at most retailers, but they include some features a hunter would appreciate or a backpacker would appreciate. Quality pants today cost $70 usually.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
There is nothing special about hunting brand pants. Most of them are okay, but most don’t last at all.

I switched to Fjallraven pants I think it’s been 4 or 5 years now. I prefer the Vidda Pro Ventilated model. They are the best pants for outdoor activities that I’ve ever used.

Most guys and gals I’ve recommended them to on this site or in person that have bought them, have never gone back to any other pant brand.

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider
What makes all the fancy brands like SG, Kuiu, Sitka, etc so special when it comes down to their everyday hunting pants? Looking at the brands, price point and longevity of the pants and I start looking at the brand of work pants I wear and have a hard time understanding the price and the durability of the pants vs what I could buy and use which would be TruWerk pants.

So, am I missing something, or is just mainly hype? I'm talking general pants, not rain gear.
I love my TruWerks pants they are my everyday pants for everything. I would say the only downside for hunting is the are not quiet. I do wish they would add side vents.

OP
IDVortex

IDVortex

WKR
I love my TruWerks pants they are my everyday pants for everything. I would say the only downside for hunting is the are not quiet. I do wish they would add side vents.
I actually forgot about the loudness of them, but the durability and how quickly they can dry is why I'm thinking of them... especially due to the weight.

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
I think 90 percent of the time a pair of 20 dollar nylon/polyester pants from Costco are just fine. But sometimes it sure is nice to have waterproof knees and butt, ventilation zippers, or knee pads.

Last edited:

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
Also sometimes good stuff lasts forever. I have a 25 year old pair of Patagonia guide pants that still work great and have at least 500 days of use. Except for their durability, they are no different than the corrugated guide pants I sent back because they fell apart.

Ho5tile1

Lil-Rokslider
Have to agree about the true work pants I have a few pairs as well for work and everyday use. They are great pants just loud as heck swishy swishy. With that said I love my fanatic bibs and jacket when it’s cold out even kuius newer white tail stuff is super nice not as warm as the Sitka but very nice. If true work adds side zips and can do something for the noise and can still be at the price they are now Sitka first lite kuiu stone glacier forloh kings etc. better start to worry.. Chris B has some true work pants he has shot tac events in..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wapitibob

WKR
These are $20 Costco pants, they work great other than being a burr magnet. A nylon/spandex blend is the only way to go.

IMG_0191 (Medium).JPG

I now use Black Ovis "cottonwood" pants, burrs don't stick to them.

RADunfee

Lil-Rokslider
The FL corrugate foundry is probably the best pant I have ever owned for hunting. I removed the knee pads though. It's probably the only FL product I still use and would buy again.

For work I have liked the Wrangler wrangler outdoor performance pant. they are around $26 and I wear them all summer and they breath well. Worth a look.

This x1000. They’ve been my everyday work pants for 3 years now. Cannot recommend enough. I hunt in them all the time as well. They’re not waterproof or anything, but they’re a great warm weather pant. I wear them until it gets down to about 32 degrees at work, but that’s being very active. Just sitting I’d say I’m usually good to about 45 in these.

There is nothing special about hunting brand pants. Most of them are okay, but most don’t last at all.

I switched to Fjallraven pants I think it’s been 4 or 5 years now. I prefer the Vidda Pro Ventilated model. They are the best pants for outdoor activities that I’ve ever used.

Most guys and gals I’ve recommended them to on this site or in person that have bought them, have never gone back to any other pant brand.
I bought Vidda Pro Ventilated’s after seeing you recommend them. Ive since sold off all of my other hunting pants and strictly use these. They are fantastic all around

Bergy-Bowsmith

Lil-Rokslider
theres 2 pairs of pants that i gravitate to regularaly.

Kuiu Kutana- This is by far my favorite pair of do it all pants $169 for a pair, and I have a few pairs in multiple colors. wears well, not to hot for the early season, and not to cold for the later times of year if you wear some long johns, just a Phenomenal all around pant with extreme durability.

Wrangler ATG- $39 another great pant about the same weight as the Kutana, these ill however pill and catch every little thing , but for the price they are pretty dang nice and not to bad to hunt in , and if you ruin a pair oh well you probably got your moneys worth out of of them.

Ho5tile1

Lil-Rokslider
theres 2 pairs of pants that i gravitate to regularaly.

Kuiu Kutana- This is by far my favorite pair of do it all pants $169 for a pair, and I have a few pairs in multiple colors. wears well, not to hot for the early season, and not to cold for the later times of year if you wear some long johns, just a Phenomenal all around pant with extreme durability.

Wrangler ATG- $39 another great pant about the same weight as the Kutana, these ill however pill and catch every little thing , but for the price they are pretty dang nice and not to bad to hunt in , and if you ruin a pair oh well you probably got your moneys worth out of of them.

I also have several pairs of the kutanas in multiple colors I wear em to church 3d shoots dinner and hunting my favorite pants. when it’s cold out I really like there attack pants hell I wore a pair of attacks in the khaki and one of there button up shirts. My wife said there is no way your wearing hunting clothes to the wedding so I said watch this lol…

Bergy-Bowsmith

Lil-Rokslider
I also have several pairs of the kutanas in multiple colors I wear em to church 3d shoots dinner and hunting my favorite pants. when it’s cold out I really like there attack pants hell I wore a pair of attacks in the khaki and one of there button up shirts. My wife said there is no way your wearing hunting clothes to the wedding so I said watch this lol…

I like the attacks also, but the Attacks fit tighter in the Waist Imo then the kutana, i certainly perfer fit of the kutana.