Hunting brand specific vs Outdoor brand technical clothing

OP
L

ljaq516

FNG
My experience has been that different brands seem to do better with different pieces. As an example, my current bomb proof clothing lineup looks like this…

.Merino Beanie/Meshback Ball Cap
.Firstlite Wick Hoody
.Patagonia R1 Air Hoody
.Nunatak or Kifaru Puffy
.Patagonia Houdini
.Swazi Tahr Rain Jacket
.Fjallraven Vida Pro Ventilated Pants
.Smartwool Boxers
.Outdoor Research Tradecraft Puffy Pants
.Swazi Overpants
.Smartwool Socks

Awesome. Thanks for this breakdown. Always cool to see what else is out there other the usual brands that come up in the hunting world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I quit using hunting brands a few years ago, it was just getting expensive to replace clothing that kept tearing or just falling apart with mild use. I’ll admit that I’m hard on my gear so most of its my own fault.

I have switched to non hunting goods, mainly used stuff I can find locally. I don’t feel as bad tearing up clothes as much when it was used and inexpensive.

Fowl Play

WKR
I’m not a gear hound, but do try to find quality gear. Once I do, a tend to stick with it. I typically only go camouflage above the waist. And use Solid color pants, jackets, puffies etc. So I use allot of my gear in other activities besides hunting. I tend to find allot of hunting clothing is fragile. And would not be considered good if it didn’t come in a stylish camo print.
* I have allot of first lite base layers. Exception to my previous hunting gear comment. Good stuff that is not “athletic fit”. Some boxers are developing holes, but I’ve probably worn them 200 days each.
*I have yet to find any puffy better than a high loft Arcteryx.
*Prana Stretch Zions are hard to beat for pants. Bought them for archery elk. Became my daily wear for work as well. Same pants for 4 years of rough construction work.

Last edited:
I like the solids from OR, prana, mtn hardware, etc. I don’t think they are super against hunting just silent. Prana might be anti but after their material change I’m not buying anymore. Try to just save up and support more pro hunting brands.

Don’t think personally I’d support arctyrx or Patagonia unless a severe discount(ie.Patagonia waders). Arc is over priced even with wife’s 40% off, for the good stuff.