Hunting Arrow Recommendations

6.5Express

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking for some recommendations on a (potentially) new hunting arrow for 2017. I'm shooting a 2016 Elite Impulse 31 @ 27" and currently about 74 lbs. My current arrow is an Axis 340 with standard slick trick 100's, 3 fletch blazers with a right helical, and a 4" wrap. I had a slight weak spine reaction with this head (4-6" at 80 yards) and shot them against montec 100's which did not show the weak spine reaction but grouped looser.

I tried 4 fletch (right, offset) with the blazers to potentially correct the weak spine reaction, but four of them sounds like a rocket taking off...

Can I improve on this set up?

Max stealth vanes? Different shafts?

jmez

WKR
Fine tune the bow. I would be hard pressed to believe that your arrow is weak. You should be well within the spine range of that arrow. 4-6 inches at 80 yards isn't much. A very slight rest adjustment will likely fix the problem with your current arrows.

PMcGee

WKR
How long are your arrows? I'm shooting a Halon at 27" with 340's with a 50gr instert and 125gr slick tricks and they fly good. Arrow is 26" carbon to carbon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
I shot 340's for years cut to 28.5 inches and various combinations of 125gr heads and different weight inserts. I never had any spine issues out of a 70# bow drawing 28.5-29 depending on model.

mauiarcher

Lil-Rokslider
I have had good success with BEA and change my arrows a bit according to game I am hunting. My "elk" set up is 516 grain micro diameter deep impacts, all arounder/pig/goat/deer/3d is 411gr std. carnivore, a 390gr small diameter renegade for longer range and axis deer, and std. Dia. 322 grain carnivore for target/3d shooting (my lighter poundage bow). Alot of good arrows out there and you certainly don't need a specific set up for a certain animal (although I like a min. 390-400 gr. For hunting). More important in my opinion is shooter ability/comfort (practice), tuning your bow (exponentially more important the further out you shoot), and shot placement . I gave up a long time ago trying to tune my bows to a particular arrow/spine..instead I choose the appropriate arrow (lemgth, spine, tip, insert, vane, etc) that will provide best arrow flight for a particular bow (tune arrow to the bow).

Anyway...for me and my draw length, arrow length, and my bows, I am getting good success with 350 spine out of my 65# and with my heavy inserts I even use 300 spine. When I was shooting 70#, 300 spine generally tuned better for me than 350. YMMV

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Tex68w

WKR
I just picked up a new bow and arrows and I decided to go with the Easton FMJ's. A few of my buddies run them and they all like them.

PMcGee

WKR
I shot 340's for years cut to 28.5 inches and various combinations of 125gr heads and different weight inserts. I never had any spine issues out of a 70# bow drawing 28.5-29 depending on model.

Yeah I agree with you. I don't think spine is the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP

6.5Express

Lil-Rokslider
I guess I wasn't as concerned with the spine / arrow flight as I am the bigger picture overall shaft, weight of head, noise, overall weight, etc. I'm thinking of taking advantage of the off season to switch the overall arrow build all together. Sorry, my initial post doesn't say that. More than anything, I was just trying to give the background on what I'm shooting now.

So, with a 74 lb, 27 inch draw, what would be an ideal hunting arrow setup (pronghorn to elk)?

OP

6.5Express

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry, if I remember correctly, I cut the current shafts to 25.5 inches carbon to carbon.

OR Archer

WKR
I shoot the same specs. I currently shoot Easton Carbon Injexion 330s cut to 27". Finished weight with a 4" wrap and 3 Blazers and 100gr head is 420grains. I've used this same arrow combo out of my last 3 Hoyt Turbos and my Impulse 34 with excellent results tuning as well as on animals. Just a shaft for you to consider in your search.

jmez

WKR
Axis is a good arrow. How much weight are you looking to gain? With your specs you could switch to a brass or SS insert and 125 gr heads, increase your arrow weight and quiet the entire set up. You want to really increase he weight will probably need to step up to a FMJ, GT kinetic or some of the Black Eagle stuff.

You shouldn't need four fletching for smaller profile BH's. Darin Cooper wrote a good article about fletching in one of the recent Elk Hunter magazines where he tested different length fletching with different profile heads. Were all three fletch helical using a Blazer type vane, mid size vane and longer 3.6 inch vane. All configurations worked well. The longer vanes were slightly better with the larger heads.

OP

6.5Express

Lil-Rokslider
I should be just shy of 400 grains now which seems a bit light compared to what most people are hunting with. I don't know that I want to add a ton of weight just because I like the flat trajectory I have now. But, maybe I could lengthen the arrow a bit and add either a 125 grain head or a weighted insert. Should I? I would be hunting game size from pronghorn to elk, so what would I gain for an all around hunting arrow by adding 25-30 grains? And, should I be thinking of adding more?

jmez

WKR
I don't think you will gain much adding 25-30 gr other than a little higher FOC. If you want to move to a heavier arrow then shoot for up around 500gr.

Bwana

WKR
I'd either do some bareshaft tuning & index nocks, or increase spine if you want to go heavier in arrow weight. At 74lb a 400 grain shaft is pretty light, I'd increase spine and insert weight.

I had a good experience with a Carbon Express Maxima Red. You can get a 100 grain brass insert for them and have a lot of wt forward. I would expect you could end up right at 500 grains which would be middle of the road for elk. If you shout 4 fletch shoot feathers... that would be your best flying system. 4 fours in feathers... lighter, quicker, spin faster and more wt forward than vanes

Bwana

WKR
I should think a quality set-up matched arrow, will give excellent results with a strong helical 3 vane...tests have been done that prove 4 fletch aren't better than 3 in controlling fixed blades. Long distance accuracy will be a combination of many things, bow tune & quality broadheads tested on a arrow spinner are a start.

I would experiment with bare shaft tuning, Nock tuning etc..

How does it shoot with field tips vs broad heads? When do you see the issue? Bheads or all the time, some arrows, all arrows?

I just left the sub 400 grain set up. Why? Cause I shot the Montec and could literally watch the shaft dancing all over the place. I shoot a PSE 372 ibo bow and at 330 fps the BH wouldn't tune.

I recently went to the BEA 500 gr set up, mech blade and they fly on a rope.
Hope you get it figured out

elkguide

WKR
I'm looking for some recommendations on a (potentially) new hunting arrow for 2017. I'm shooting a 2016 Elite Impulse 31 @ 27" and currently about 74 lbs. My current arrow is an Axis 340 with standard slick trick 100's, 3 fletch blazers with a right helical, and a 4" wrap. I had a slight weak spine reaction with this head (4-6" at 80 yards) and shot them against montec 100's which did not show the weak spine reaction but grouped looser.

I tried 4 fletch (right, offset) with the blazers to potentially correct the weak spine reaction, but four of them sounds like a rocket taking off...

Can I improve on this set up?

Max stealth vanes? Different shafts?

3 fletch. 27.5" length shafts for starters.

Some people don't like the Axis arrows but I have had no issues with them. My other go to arrow is the ACC's.

Muley15

Lil-Rokslider
I am a fan of the Axis and i don't think you are underpinned with the 340. If you want an all around setup and like to still shoot at further distances I would shoot the heaviest arrow you can and still achieve 280fps. I am guessing you should be in the 430g range. This would be sufficient out of your set up for anything in the US.

Trial153

WKR
I am going against the grain on this one. Your getting a weak indication because your most likely weak.