Hunting and social media

What are your thoughts on hunting and social media content/influencers?

• I love it, and Subscribe/follow multiple accounts, watch on a daily bases

• Indifferent, I watch videos and look at pictures occasionally and it doesn't affect me

• I hate it, don't follow or subscribe to anyone and think its detrimental to the future of hunting

Results are only viewable after voting.

uthuntr

FNG
I admittedly consume the content here and there for entertainment, but the powers of social media are "ruining" so much. Hunting, fly fishing, skiing and everything else I do has been negatively impacted since the influencers realized they can grab the worlds attention by parading our great resources. It wasn't so bad when there was only 1 or 2 Randy Newbergs on TV. It's just as much anybody elses right to recreate as mine, but not everyone in the world can hunt and fish if we want anyone to be able to at all.

uthuntr

FNG
Especially when in my experience, the influencers and their followers fill up our mountains and application systems for all the wrong reasons. But hey gotta get that perfect picture and mount for the wall.

dylanvb

Lil-Rokslider
I have ADD so I can only watch some hunting stuff on YouTube before I switch to something else. I do follow a good number of pages on IG but don’t use Facebook for anything. I would personally say I’m addicted to my phone and that’s the problem with these apps

ehayes

Lil-Rokslider
I’d like to see everything as a paid for subscription service instead of the sign up for free, watch for free, participate for free advertising model.

I’m guilty of using it. I watch YouTube and listen to free podcasts. No IG or Facebook for me. But I don’t have the option to subscribe or pay only for what I want because the ad model dominates. If it was my way I’d have to make some choices given my budget.

If I had to pick I would pay monthly for the following content, rokslide and hunt backcountry podcast. I would buy individual youtube episodes for a $3-$5 a piece from a few select channels.

I can’t fault anyone for doing what they want to do, meaning producers participating in the system that is available to them.

ehayes

Lil-Rokslider
I think a paid for content model would eliminate a very high percentage of the content. It wouldn’t be worth their time because they wouldn’t get any notice or income from it.

uthuntr

FNG
People saying they hate Social Media…. On Rokslide…. PRICELESS
My sentiment wasn't aimed at social media being the problem, nor were quite a few others. In fact I quite like sharing stories and advice and have used Rokslide from afar for a long time before making an account.

The issue is the influencers who direct people to places and activities for all the wrong reasons. Especially when we have finite resources, land, and opportunity. It just so happens social media is their primary tool to reach the masses. So excuse the backlash when 99% of the content fed to us is hotspotting, trophy hunting, and glamorizing what used to be relatively inexpensive and accessible hobbies and activities for us. Especially us in western states.

I'm trying to figure out if the " I don't use SM" guys are the new version of " I do crossfit" or the " I walked to school uphill both ways." Maybe both? I'll bet they run solids too.
Social media is garbage, all of it. Nothing “social” about it either it should be re named antisocial media.

It’s done nothing good for society overall, our kids, or hunting in particular. The more people figure it out and drop it all and go back to talking to each other instead of sitting in the same room in silence staring at devices the better.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
My sentiment wasn't aimed at social media being the problem, nor were quite a few others. In fact I quite like sharing stories and advice and have used Rokslide from afar for a long time before making an account.

The issue is the influencers who direct people to places and activities for all the wrong reasons. Especially when we have finite resources, land, and opportunity. It just so happens social media is their primary tool to reach the masses. So excuse the backlash when 99% of the content fed to us is hotspotting, trophy hunting, and glamorizing what used to be relatively inexpensive and accessible hobbies and activities for us. Especially us in western states.
It was directed and you directly:)
I just thinks it’s funny when people don’t realize RS is a form of SM

People saying they hate Social Media…. On Rokslide…. PRICELESS
There isn’t a single person on Rokslide or any hunting forum who isn’t a hunter. Not so with Youtube, IG, FB etc. I’ve been on some forums longer than FB or IG have even existed. The reach of Rokslide or any hunting forum to the general public is miniscule, non existent really. There are variable ranges of impact when speaking of different social media platforms to the point you absolutely can support a forum like Rokslide but despise more mainstream social media like IG, FB, Twitter, etc.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
There isn’t a single person on Rokslide or any hunting forum who isn’t a hunter. Not so with Youtube, IG, FB etc. I’ve been on some forums longer than FB or IG have even existed. The reach of Rokslide or any hunting forum to the general public is miniscule, non existent really. There are variable ranges of impact when speaking of different social media platforms to the point you absolutely can support a forum like Rokslide but despise more mainstream social media like IG, FB, Twitter, etc.
I understand what you are saying. But you find what your search for on all those SM platforms and he asked specifically about hunting and hunting influencers which seems to be a big old echo chamber now matter the platform outside of maybe MeatEater. So I really don’t see that much difference between the socials.

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
Keep the votes coming in, would like to get to 200-250

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
Can we get it to 200 total votes before it closes?