Hunters Element?

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
They are a New Zealand brand and compare against Stoney Creek down here. Like most hunting gear today, it's largely made in Asia so quality can vary. I have only used their neoprene gaiters which are good and work well keeping water out of boots for stream crossings.

Others I know rate it average in the earlier generation fabrics but has improved. In the stores here it looks like they have stepped up in quality compared with other NZ brands quite a bit though. I'd put them equal with other more expensive brands you see here now.

NZ hunting gear tends to be heavier than the ultralight stuff you'll find in the states.However NZ hunting conditions (and hunters) tend to be very hard on gear so the heavier fabrics hold up well.

The one benefit with NZ cut rain coats is they actually come down far enough to cover your arse vs. American cut. This means when you're sitting and glassing you don't have rain running down your backside and often don't need to put on rainpants when walking as the jacket covers mid-thigh and keeps you drier. American cut rain jackets are all too short. If you never used a longer cut rain jacket the Hunters Element may be of interest to see how you go.

Last edited:

ledflight

WKR
They are a New Zealand brand and compare against Stoney Creek down here. Like most hunting gear today, it's largely made in Asia so quality can vary. I have only used their neoprene gaiters which are good and work well keeping water out of boots for stream crossings.

Others I know rate it average in the earlier generation fabrics but has improved. In the stores here it looks like they have stepped up in quality compared with other NZ brands quite a bit though. I'd put them equal with other more expensive brands you see here now.

NZ hunting gear tends to be heavier than the ultralight stuff you'll find in the states.However NZ hunting conditions (and hunters) tend to be very hard on gear so the heavier fabrics hold up well.

The one benefit with NZ cut rain coats is they actually come down far enough to cover your arse vs. American cut. This means when you're sitting and glassing you don't have rain running down your backside and often don't need to put on rainpants when walking as the jacket covers mid-thigh and keeps you drier. American cut rain jackets are all too short. If you never used a longer cut rain jacket the Hunters Element may be of interest to see how you go.
The long cut of the NZ stuff is cool. I have a wool Swanndri but have looked at the HE and Stoney Creek ones for more conditions.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
Cactus Outdoor makes a really good long cut rain jacket. I use the olive version of this one for hunting:

ledflight

WKR
Cactus Outdoor makes a really good long cut rain jacket. I use the olive version of this one for hunting:

Thanks. Swazi and Hunters Element on sale look pretty reasonable and again, I like the cut.
The short sleeve hoodie with the long cut seems to be a thing.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
The Cactus gear will be substantially higher quality than Hunter's Element or Stoney Creek, etc.

Swazi raingear often has a soft finish and wets out. The famed Swazi Tahr Anorak gets very cold and heavy in sustained rain. Has poor breathability as well once that happens. I think Swazi gear is all too heavy and overrated. I sold all mine. I avoid their gear now.

Honestly I avoid most hunting clothing for the same reasons. I like the Cactus gear as it's just designed to be rugged general purpose use. I run their jackets, backpacks, etc. and they are all well made.

ledflight

WKR
There's so many long cut tops from overseas - UK and the Aussie / NZ area. I bet the long tail could be a problem for treestand harnesses but honestly the tough tail makes sense for anyone wanting to sit sometimes.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
I've never seen anyone use a treestand for hunting in NZ. The deer here do not tend to follow that kind of predictable pattern. However hunting in shorts is common and longer tail helps keep water off your legs and also more comfortable for sitting.

ledflight

WKR
I've never seen anyone use a treestand for hunting in NZ. The deer here do not tend to follow that kind of predictable pattern. However hunting in shorts is common and longer tail helps keep water off your legs and also more comfortable for sitting.
What temps do people hunt in shorts?
And too much poison ivy/oak and too many ticks where I hunt to consider that even if the temps were right.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
What temps do people hunt in shorts?
And too much poison ivy/oak and too many ticks where I hunt to consider that even if the temps were right.
Two things:

1) There are no ticks in NZ.
2) There is no poison ivy/oak either.

But mostly, you often are doing a lot of hill climbing and stream crossing. If you wear shorts you can stay cooler, and your legs dry really fast after going through water.

Often you'll see guys wearing long underwear w/shorts. Then boots with gaiters. I've tried it and it's OK, but just prefer pants.

Te Hopo

Lil-Rokslider
I like the Hunters Element gear but prefer Stoney Creek for fit and durability.
Hunters Element is a bit too trim fitting for me and a bit too light weight.

Swazi is overpriced for what it is in my opinion compared to a lot of the technical gear put there now.

Cactus gear is the bees knees, I love their trousers and packs especially

ledflight

WKR
I met an actual Kiwi recently and learned I'd been saying it wrong. It's swan-DRY, not swan-dree. Now I know.
Thanks for info on fit, etc. Again, I am mostly whitetail and not in need of the lightest and most technical - as a stick bow hunter, quiet is key for me!

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
If you want to be cold and wet, a traditional wool Swanndri is the way to go. They look the part, but if you get wet you will regret it. Modern gear is far superior unless you are a real diehard wool user.

Sadly, a lot of Kiwi gear is designed for rifle hunters. If you need something quiet you'll have to stick to traditional fleece. Some of the softer tricoat brushed fabrics are quiet, but again if they wet out (like the Swazi Tahr), you are going to be cold and they take forever to dry.

If anyone is interested I bought a pair of Hunters Element rain pants at Central Otago in NZ that were used on a stag and tahr hunt. I’ve got my other rain gear back home so I really don’t need these also. I’ve been thinking about posting on classifieds.

The pants worked well during rainy weather. They are a solid tan color so not camo but that didn’t matter to the animals.

ledflight

WKR
What about Game Gear
From NZ? Any experiences
If you want to be cold and wet, a traditional wool Swanndri is the way to go. They look the part, but if you get wet you will regret it. Modern gear is far superior unless you are a real diehard wool user.

Sadly, a lot of Kiwi gear is designed for rifle hunters. If you need something quiet you'll have to stick to traditional fleece. Some of the softer tricoat brushed fabrics are quiet, but again if they wet out (like the Swazi Tahr), you are going to be cold and they take forever to dry.
the wool is the quiet I need for being a srtckbow hunter and I don’t use it in the rain.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
Never heard/seen Game Gear around. Looks like generic hunting gear probably made in same overseas factories as others.

I have worn Swannis when doing archery (I shoot stickbows). They would work fine, but are really heavy even dry. If you are a diehard wool guy they are worth considering, but the new versions are all made in China and are nothing special. An older one made in NZ is higher quality but may be hard to find in good nick now.