Hunters Element?

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
They are a New Zealand brand and compare against Stoney Creek down here. Like most hunting gear today, it's largely made in Asia so quality can vary. I have only used their neoprene gaiters which are good and work well keeping water out of boots for stream crossings.

Others I know rate it average in the earlier generation fabrics but has improved. In the stores here it looks like they have stepped up in quality compared with other NZ brands quite a bit though. I'd put them equal with other more expensive brands you see here now.

NZ hunting gear tends to be heavier than the ultralight stuff you'll find in the states.However NZ hunting conditions (and hunters) tend to be very hard on gear so the heavier fabrics hold up well.

The one benefit with NZ cut rain coats is they actually come down far enough to cover your arse vs. American cut. This means when you're sitting and glassing you don't have rain running down your backside and often don't need to put on rainpants when walking as the jacket covers mid-thigh and keeps you drier. American cut rain jackets are all too short. If you never used a longer cut rain jacket the Hunters Element may be of interest to see how you go.

Last edited:

ledflight

WKR
They are a New Zealand brand and compare against Stoney Creek down here. Like most hunting gear today, it's largely made in Asia so quality can vary. I have only used their neoprene gaiters which are good and work well keeping water out of boots for stream crossings.

Others I know rate it average in the earlier generation fabrics but has improved. In the stores here it looks like they have stepped up in quality compared with other NZ brands quite a bit though. I'd put them equal with other more expensive brands you see here now.

NZ hunting gear tends to be heavier than the ultralight stuff you'll find in the states.However NZ hunting conditions (and hunters) tend to be very hard on gear so the heavier fabrics hold up well.

The one benefit with NZ cut rain coats is they actually come down far enough to cover your arse vs. American cut. This means when you're sitting and glassing you don't have rain running down your backside and often don't need to put on rainpants when walking as the jacket covers mid-thigh and keeps you drier. American cut rain jackets are all too short. If you never used a longer cut rain jacket the Hunters Element may be of interest to see how you go.
The long cut of the NZ stuff is cool. I have a wool Swanndri but have looked at the HE and Stoney Creek ones for more conditions.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
Cactus Outdoor makes a really good long cut rain jacket. I use the olive version of this one for hunting:

ledflight

WKR
Cactus Outdoor makes a really good long cut rain jacket. I use the olive version of this one for hunting:

Thanks. Swazi and Hunters Element on sale look pretty reasonable and again, I like the cut.
The short sleeve hoodie with the long cut seems to be a thing.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
The Cactus gear will be substantially higher quality than Hunter's Element or Stoney Creek, etc.

Swazi raingear often has a soft finish and wets out. The famed Swazi Tahr Anorak gets very cold and heavy in sustained rain. Has poor breathability as well once that happens. I think Swazi gear is all too heavy and overrated. I sold all mine. I avoid their gear now.

Honestly I avoid most hunting clothing for the same reasons. I like the Cactus gear as it's just designed to be rugged general purpose use. I run their jackets, backpacks, etc. and they are all well made.

ledflight

WKR
There's so many long cut tops from overseas - UK and the Aussie / NZ area. I bet the long tail could be a problem for treestand harnesses but honestly the tough tail makes sense for anyone wanting to sit sometimes.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
I've never seen anyone use a treestand for hunting in NZ. The deer here do not tend to follow that kind of predictable pattern. However hunting in shorts is common and longer tail helps keep water off your legs and also more comfortable for sitting.

ledflight

WKR
I've never seen anyone use a treestand for hunting in NZ. The deer here do not tend to follow that kind of predictable pattern. However hunting in shorts is common and longer tail helps keep water off your legs and also more comfortable for sitting.
What temps do people hunt in shorts?
And too much poison ivy/oak and too many ticks where I hunt to consider that even if the temps were right.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
What temps do people hunt in shorts?
And too much poison ivy/oak and too many ticks where I hunt to consider that even if the temps were right.
Two things:

1) There are no ticks in NZ.
2) There is no poison ivy/oak either.

But mostly, you often are doing a lot of hill climbing and stream crossing. If you wear shorts you can stay cooler, and your legs dry really fast after going through water.

Often you'll see guys wearing long underwear w/shorts. Then boots with gaiters. I've tried it and it's OK, but just prefer pants.