Hoyt Torrex Side Plates!...... Well Kind of

Dylan Sluis

Lil-Rokslider
I finally had enough of the rounded grip on my Torrex. I always had issues with getting broadheads to fly well and that's what I am guessing it was. I just hated that grip. So I ordered some side plates that said they will work on any hoyt aluminum bow with the pro fit or x-act grip. My torrex has the x-act grip on it, well at least it did. Well after I ordered them I ripped my grip off only to realize that there wasn't any tapped hole to screw the side plates to.

When I got them they still fit nice but just no holes for a screw. I decided to just JB weld them on instead of drilling and tapping holes. But f**k I tell you after how long it took to get them on nice, and clean up all the glue. And I couldn't clamp them on because everytime I tried they just moved from the curved edges. I should have just drilled and tapped holes.

And yes I cut the threads off of the screw so I could JB weld the head in place so it would look better. Welcome to my OCD. Just wanted to make this in case anyone else has a torrex and was looking in to doing this.

20240723_203315.jpg20240723_203303.jpg

Reactions: Zac

tdoublev

Lil-Rokslider
Was just thinking about this actually. I don’t love the grip option you landed on, but I can’t really find any other options for anything Hoyt. I am shocked how few options there are for Hoyt while Matthew’s has tons. Did you consider any others?

MattB

WKR
Take off the factory grip and shoot right off the riser. I’ve never really understood the point of side plates.

Ho5tile1

WKR
Take off the factory grip and shoot right off the riser. I’ve never really understood the point of side plates.

I never got it ether I even tried some side plates on one of my Mathews but after putting them on I was like what’s the point other then the look cause you never touch them your hand never touches them your just shooting off the riser. In my head they were gonna make the riser a little wider but nope at least not where your hand is.. just huge waist of money other then the look of them they serve no function at all. At least they look good if you like that stuff to each their own..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Dylan Sluis

Dylan Sluis

Lil-Rokslider
Was just thinking about this actually. I don’t love the grip option you landed on, but I can’t really find any other options for anything Hoyt. I am shocked how few options there are for Hoyt while Matthew’s has tons. Did you consider any others?

I looked everywhere and this seemed to be like 1 of 2 options. This one, or the beereal grip for hoyts. But now looking at this im not sure if the beereal would fit on the torrex. This seemed to be about the only other option for me when it comes to grips. I have only shot it a caouple times but am already loving the more square grip instead of the round factory one. And yes matthews have 100x more options than hoyt.

OP
Dylan Sluis

Dylan Sluis

Lil-Rokslider
I never got it ether I even tried some side plates on one of my Mathews but after putting them on I was like what’s the point other then the look cause you never touch them your hand never touches them your just shooting off the riser. In my head they were gonna make the riser a little wider but nope at least not where your hand is.. just huge waist of money other then the look of them they serve no function at all. At least they look good if you like that stuff to each their own..

I agree the feel of the grip when shooting is similar. Although I think it feels a tad nicer with side plates. I like the side plats for carrying my bow, and I mean like walking around with it. I have already noticed its way easier and comfy to hold it with side plates. If it wasn't for the 1 ridge on the front side of the grip i probably wouldn't have bothered with side plates. But that little ridge is not comfortable at all to me. So I needed something.

Ho5tile1

WKR
I agree the feel of the grip when shooting is similar. Although I think it feels a tad nicer with side plates. I like the side plats for carrying my bow, and I mean like walking around with it. I have already noticed its way easier and comfy to hold it with side plates. If it wasn't for the 1 ridge on the front side of the grip i probably wouldn't have bothered with side plates. But that little ridge is not comfortable at all to me. So I needed something.

Yea that makes since never even thought of it like that. Since I’m on the east coast don’t do a ton of carrying other then to a tree not up and down mountains for days at a time. One day in the next few years ima get out west and hear some bugles with a bow in my hand if I have to take a 2nd mortgage out on my house and the wife of 30 years smartens up and leaves my sry butt lol but hey at least I will have got to chase some bulls on the mountain…