Hoyt Drama

lerman

FNG
I bought an RX4 Ultra this year to replace my shot out Bear Lights Out from 2008 when I first started shooting. Got the hoyt off craigslist for about half MSRP. It came with an extra string so I got it restrung and tuned at Shop 1.

After about 400 arrows I bring it back in to be retimed and we notice the bottom left limb is splintered, tiny piece about 1/16" wide, 1" long and maybe 1/32" deep is splintering off right above the rocker. Shop 1 employee says he can try and sand and epoxy it and if the repair holds he wouldn't worry about it. Kept an eye on it for the past two months and saw no issues with the repair so I stopped thinking about it.

Fast forward to me bringing in the bow to Shop 2 to remove the hoyt click. Shop 2 employee calls me up "hey you know you're limb is cracked?" and I explain everything to him. He says he wouldn't even draw a bow with a limb splintered above the rocker like that. I'm the second owner and we don't know if the bow is registered so he advises me to take the serial number and try to register it so limbs will be covered under warranty. Register online and list Shop 2 as place of purchase because obviously I don't know where the bow came from. Call shop 2 back and the owner picks up, he now tells me even if the bow wasn't registered before hoyt tracks which shops get which serial numbers so any warranty claim I try to make will get flagged. He tells me a new set of limbs will be $210+tax+labor and its unclear whether they'll get the limbs replaced before season.

Shop 2 is now calling in to see if they can get the limbs under warranty and if not they're ordering the limbs. Shop 2 hasn't performed any work to remove the click stating the liability is too high with a broken limb like that. I bought a hoyt because they're supposed to be the most durable but now I'm finding otherwise. Makes me miss my bear single cam that never had half these problems.

Am I wrong to just go grab the thing and try to hunt with it despite the click and the repaired limb?

Zac

WKR
So everyone uses Gordon Glass limbs. Can't blame Hoyt for the limb. Also you are not the original owner so the warranty doesn't apply to you. The noise is probably just the limb pocket squeeking, not a big deal. If you got a great deal initially you are still ahead even with the new limbs. I would definitely not be hunting with it in that condition, and yes Hoyt has been a leader in the industry for durability.

OR Archer

WKR
The only drama is what you’re creating. Buying used you ALWAYS assume the risk of there being damage to the bow and that it’s NOT covered by warranty. Being dishonest about trying to get it covered just makes things harder for the honest guy working within the system.

87TT

WKR
Have had small surface splinters without issue before on a couple of bows. Usually on the edge. Never worried about it and still shooting them................a lot. I just sand and watch them. So far they haven't got worse.

OP
L

lerman

FNG
Thanks fellas. Limbs are ordered so I'm probably gonna pick it up and shoot it through this season as-is then get all the work done after our last trip in november unless the timeframe is shorter than expected.

Reactions: Zac