How's everybody make a living

Self employed contractor in Boulder, CO. I work from October through August with a few weeks off here and there in the late fall and winter to grocery shop with the boom stick. Taking those wealthy liberal's money and using it to buy guns and hunting stuff makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Curtass

FNG
Self employed contractor in Boulder, CO. I work from October through August with a few weeks off here and there in the late fall and winter to grocery shop with the boom stick. Taking those wealthy liberal's money and using it to buy guns and hunting stuff makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.
I am close to you! I work in Broomfield. At least you have an abundant supply of Liberal's in Boulder to get money from!!

OXN939

WKR
So flight instructors make way less than pilots I am assuming. Seems like flight instructors would or should be older pilots, looking to wind down.

That would be logical, but not really feasible. In aviation, the number of hours you have correlates to your utility and what you're worth, and you're not getting a lot of guys with thousands of hours to make beer money salaries. CFI is how most brand new commercial pilots on the civilian side get their hours initially. Some of the graduates of these pilot factory schools start instructing within seven months of the first time they ever touch a set of aircraft controls.

Last edited:
8-22 yo-electrician (step-dad was electrician, owned his company-read:free labor, lunch and education, 18-22 for 3 other outfits as I moved around)

22-27 owned my own elecric/home automation company.

28 added building.

30 added developing, dropped electrical.

32 private money bought me out-offered me on as consultant to their (2 partners) company (software for AEC) and to run develop/build for them (read: I manage their fun money for developments and building).

4 more years will be 30 years in the workforce, and still under 40yo. Life's been fun. Not a thing I'd change...other than my hairline...

E-Rawk

FNG
I'm a pipeline controller in one of the largest crude oil storage and shipping hubs in the US. Sometimes it feels like all we do is move the same oil back and forth from company to company in a big circle here though. Luckily I've got a few lines that I operate in other states.

Best part of the job is I work 7 on and 7 off 12hr shifts rotating between days and nights. I can take 7 days of vacation and get 3 weeks total off.