Howa Superlite, 308, 16", aluminum bottom metal, detailed stock review and bedding

Hi there, new member here, tried looking for a new member section to introduce myself and didn't see one, so, hello.

I know there are a few Howa Superlite threads, but when I was researching them in preparation for buying my own I really couldn't find incredibly detailed images or great info on the stock. So I figured I would add this thread to hopefully compliment the others out there.

I got a 308, 16" barreled action from Brownells, and also bought the Stocky's NextGen UltraCarbon Tan stock with black webbing from Brownells, both at 15% off at the time (early August).

Weight of just the stock (with their recoil pad): 19.7oz.
Weight of gun and stock with plastic bottom metal, no rail, no mag: 4lbs 7.2oz
Weight of gun with aluminum bottom metal and mag body/spring/follower, no rail: 4lbs 8.8oz
Final weight with Talley rings, Leupold 3-9x, aluminum bottom metal: 5lbs 7.3oz

The action and bolt appear to have reasonable fit and finish, a few machining marks and dings that were then blued over, but overall fine. Trigger is a crisp 4-4.5lbs, no issues with the hard bolt cycling trigger change.

I bought aluminum bottle metal from OregonSmithingLLC. Comes with a hinged floor plate to create an internal magazine. You take the floor plate off the polymer mag body that comes with the gun, then snap the mag body down onto the aluminum bottom metal, and also reuse the follower and spring. The stock bottom metal is plastic as you all know, which in my experience with other bolt guns is always generally a problem with regard to action screw torque and long-term durability.

Now on to the stock. The stock needs quite a bit of work, and is, in my opinion, the source of most problems.

I think first we need to start with how the Howa's front actions screw works. Since the action screw threads directly into the recoil lug, unless you are supporting directly in front of the barrel (or supporting under the recoil lug) it is going to pull the front of the gun down as the action screws are tightened, no matter how much you tighten the rear first. That will cause the end of the barrel to contact the stock. This is due to the fact that there is a small gap under the recoil lug. Stockys (at least on mine) dealt with this by leaving a small thin triangular shaped mound of filler material about 1-1.5" in front of the recoil lug. It came to a very small point where it contacted the barrel, BUT, it does prevent the barrel from tilting forward as the front action screw is tightened.

IMG_9568.jpg
Red circled area is where they left filler material, you can see it has been sanded at this point. Embedded carbon support structure seen around recoil lug area.

It really seems to me that the Howa actions would be better served by having the action screw thread into the large rectangular flat just to the rear of the recoil lug, which would more uniformly distribute the torque and tension, but, I'm sure they had a reason.

The stock needed quite a few areas knocked down, or lightly sanded for optimal fitment of action and bottom metal. I will post photos below of those areas, as well as how the recoil pad is secured and what the inside of the rear stock looks like.

IMG_9572.jpg
IMG_9571.jpg
IMG_9570.jpg
IMG_9563.jpg

I went ahead and sanded the areas for action bedding (some of the photos show it partially sanded as I forgot to photograph before sanding).

I initially bedded it like I would typically (I keep it pretty minimal), placing tape under the recoil lug and in front of it to ensure space, since those areas typically aren't under pressure, as well as a piece of tape under the barrel. After doing that I discovered the issue with the barrel tilting forward since the action screw pulls down on the recoil lug, which wasn't supported underneath as it came from Stocky's, or after my bedding since I had the piece of tape under it and under the barrel.

So, I contemplated this and after consideration I added bedding material to in front of the recoil lug as opposed to underneath it as I didn't like such a small surface area taking the brunt of the action screw torque, plus, I didn't want to take the chance of bedding under the recoil lug and having it somehow be proud of the other bedding surfaces or creating a teetering effect.

IMG_9581.jpg

After this bedding there is now perfect matchup on the large rectangular action flat, the rear and sides of the recoil lug, and just in front of the barrel. Plus the rear action screw was done, but nothing interesting in that small spot. The barrel remains free floated and with even spacing throughout the stock when recommended 35in-lbs of torque is applied.

Overall, despite the obvious negative aspects, the stock feels solid and has great rigidity. The sling swivel studs are screwed into actual metal threads that have been set into the stock, so not just threaded into the carbon fiber, which I wish they had done with the recoil pad. The paint they use, or the over coat maybe has a slightly rubbery feel and adds good texture. I did add some color to the stock using the sponge method, and hit it would a light clear coat. I think it looks great now.

Talley low scope rings and a Leupold 3-9x40 topped off the gun. Talley rings are 2.2oz. Leupold scope was 12.3oz.

Final weight 5lb 7.3oz, not including a sling.

IMG_9591.jpg
Final gun with aluminum bottom metal, Talley rings, scope.

I'm out of photo space so I'll post a few more in a reply that show some other details.

I'll also update on how it shoots with actual loads. Thus far it's shooting 1.4" groups with generic 150gr target loads, Fiocchi Range Dynamic if I recall. I'll be hand loading Barnes 110gr and 130gr TTSX for the gun to use depending on what I'm doing. Just got done a small batch last night of 110gr's and will be shooting it some this weekend.

Hope this helps folks!

Last edited:
OP
I
Some additional photos.

IMG_9566.jpg
Gun weight without rail and with factory plastic bottom metal, no mag. The aftermarket aluminum bottom metal with mag body can be seen in the background.

IMG_9582.jpg
Stock color with added brown and gray sponge design.

IMG_9574.jpg
Chips (?) in the stock that were painted over. Seems to me that as long as Stocky's is painting a stock and not leaving it with a smooth carbon finish they are fine with whatever cosmetic defects the stock has. Their website sells blemished carbon fiber stocks (always out of stock), but I bet they use the majority of them for their textured paint jobs since they won't be too noticeable.

IMG_9575.jpg

The top rail that comes with the gun, scratches on it from where it rubbed against some part of the barreled action. It comes taped near the barreled action, both on a piece of cardboard within a box, wrapped in a couple of places with cellophane like packaging. It weighed 1.7oz if memory serves, so almost the same weight as both Talley rings alone.

Thanks for your time! Again, I hope it's helpful.

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Lil-Rokslider
Looks cool--and it's an innovative way to overcome the barrel touching the stock. I just sanded the crap out of the barrel channel up front until the barrel didn't touch as I torqued it down.

Can you elaborate on the bottom metal? I didn't know he was making bottom metal for the Superlite!

OP
I
Looks cool--and it's an innovative way to overcome the barrel touching the stock. I just sanded the crap out of the barrel channel up front until the barrel didn't touch as I torqued it down.

Can you elaborate on the bottom metal? I didn't know he was making bottom metal for the Superlite!

Yeah absolutely. Sorry I don't have an up-close photo of it on me, I'm at work. It mimics the contours of the stock plastic, but instead of a space for the polymer magazine, it has a small lip and tabs where the body of the magazine is snapped into place (you remove the floor plate of the stock magazine), and then you insert the follower and the spring, and then you can close the floor plate which latches with a little button.

So, the OregonSmithing bottom metal basically uses the mag body, spring, and follower of the stock magazine to create an internal mag that snaps onto their aluminum, and their bottom metal comes with a nice, hinged floor plate so that you can load it from the top or bottom. No rattle or noise.

I'll be honest, it's easier to just open it up and throw ammo in from the bottom than it is from the top. Due to the fact that the magazine doesn't allow rounds to just be pushed into the top (like an AR mag can), you have to sort of nose the round towards the chamber and then slide them back into the mag if you're loading from the top.

OP
I
Also, it looks like his website is all screwed up--is it like that for anyone else?

Unsure, the website is very basic IIRC, the last time I looked it just had a brief description of the item and the cost. You had to call and order over the phone.

OP
I
Got it out with some Barnes TTSX loads and I’m happy with the first shooting session. Easy 1.2 MOA without any load development, shooting off a tripod range table, so it’s not like it’s a concrete bench rest.